What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9 carat imperial topaz

I am interested in an ebay offering of this crystal, but I can't picture the size. Does anyone have a comparison scale for this? I know carat is weight not size. Topaz is a dense material if this helps any. So, is this stone the size of a standard jelly bean, jelly bellybean, average pea, BB, or the size of this o? You have to be careful about these things. The stones offered look like they would knock out a hippopotomus if thrown, but we all know the wonders of macrophotography, hmmm?

Could you post a link, Tamlin?

it could be any size if there is no weight listed. If i was to get a gem, i would get one that i could pick up eisily. isnt topaz opaque, or that you cant see trough? it may be simimlar sounding, but they arnt, as i recall, that valuble, so theres less of a incentive to break it into small peices. I dont know for shyre its the same gem as the wone im talking about, though

i think topaz is semi-precious.

my birthstone is topaz, i get stuck with the ugly amber birth stone! it's not fair! i wish i was a diamond or a sapphire...

JLAP, not all topaz are brown or amber! There are some far-out blue and green ones. Just do a google search...

Hey...topaz is MY birthstone and I like it. Maybe Tamlin is looking at this stone for my birthday....hehehe.
smile_m_32.gif

I say....BID ON IT!
biggrin.gif
If you don't like it, you can always fob it off on me.

carats is a form of weight, right? So if it was dense, then I'd say the size of your average pea.
smile.gif

William,  I have a flawless 5.25 ct Imperial Topaz that I cut in a hexagon barion shape.  It is almost exactly 10 mm across the flats.  That is an unusually large and very costly Imperial.  I will try to get a pic up tomorrow.
You gotta be careful as one that large is very rare.  Is it described as gem quality?  Can you post a pic of the one you are looking at?

JustLikeAPill,  Topaz comes in numerous colors, red green, blue.  Some colors are relatively inexpensive but the rare colors are very costly when properly cut.  Imperial Topaz is the rarest of the rare and a good quality Imperial can best be described as the color of "orange marmalade".  Any brown tint and it is not an Imperial.

Hmmm,  When is your birthday PAK.  
cool.gif

hehehe  November 12...Scorpio!  
smile_m_32.gif

Any and all gemstone accepted.  
biggrin.gif
  (J/K!)

Unfortunately, I can't say I'm a real rockhound like William or you, but I've always had an interest in rocks and minerals.  I used to have a little geologist hammer and rock books and snitched my brother's mineral set (which he could care less about but got for Xmas because he was a BOY...girls aren't supposed to like rocks and chemistry sets, ya know).  I always had bags of rocks and stuff in my desk drawer when I was kid.  I had a rock tumbler at one time.  I would love to go rock/mineral hunting.

I have a handful of rocks and minerals but would like to get more.  I just bid on a piece of rutile quartz on eBay but didn't get it.  
smile_h_32.gif

OOH! never mind, i like topaz now ;p

How 'bout a piece of finely crafted, well polished, reasonably priced 'roadstone' PAK?
biggrin.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Any common stone can be quite beautiful.
smile.gif
I pick up "pretty rocks" when I see them. In my garden, I have what I call my "ham rock." It is a very large rock that's thick, flat and shaped just like a slice of country ham...even has the "fat" around the edge. I found this rock in the middle of woods, where no other pieces of large rock were. It was very odd. Because it is so flat and its isolated location...I'm wondering if this rock was used for something. Its a plain ol' rock but I think its beautiful and I love it.
smile.gif

So even "roadstone" can be beautiful and worthy of collection.
smile.gif

Rock tumblers are awesome! They're only good for making smooth "river rocks" (best way I can describe it), but you sure can get some beauties from a RT if you get interesting grains in a rock.

Yeah...they have some on eBay and I'm considering getting one. It could be fun.
smile.gif

Got bunches of leaverite around here
laugh.gif

Yeah, leaverite is familiar to most rockhounds BCK. Most of my collection is made up of bits and pieces of it. The other guys leaverite often turns out to be real treasure, or should I say trashure?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ July 21 2004,2:42)]hehehe  November 12...Scorpio!  
smile_m_32.gif

Any and all gemstone accepted.  
biggrin.gif
  (J/K!)

Unfortunately, I can't say I'm a real rockhound like William or you, but I've always had an interest in rocks and minerals.  I used to have a little geologist hammer and rock books and snitched my brother's mineral set (which he could care less about but got for Xmas because he was a BOY...girls aren't supposed to like rocks and chemistry sets, ya know).  I always had bags of rocks and stuff in my desk drawer when I was kid.  I had a rock tumbler at one time.  I would love to go rock/mineral hunting.

I have a handful of rocks and minerals but would like to get more.  I just bid on a piece of rutile quartz on eBay but didn't get it.  
smile_h_32.gif
Come to England PAK!(The england in europe)
There is a shop here that sells LOADS of rocks and minerals,
they even sell Bonsai trees made of crystals! And they sell some betuiful rocks that look like mini-caves, inside the rock(which resembeles a cave) loads of diamond looking rocks sparkle, its really bautiful!
smile.gif
They sell many more crystals and rocks and stuff, these are just some lovely examples.
Dino
smile.gif

Back