Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My other hobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    expensive is not a joke. I have a fiarly decent position at a fortune 500 (the only reason I don't like the job is I work nights and weekends) and It takes me a while to get up the cash for these guys...

Case in point:

115 Gallon Cube Tank ~$425.00 (reef ready, after tax)

Oceans Motions 4 Way wave generator ~250.00 after shipping

quad VHO and metal halide lighting ~550.00 (What your CP"s like is NOTHING compared to a reef!)

Custom made Protien Skimmer - 200.00

Custom made sump / refugium - 250.00

Stand and Canopy (home made) - 250.00

Titanium Heater - 30.00 x 2 (always run 2 smaller heaters instead of one large)

Digital Thermometer - 10 bucks, radio shack

Test Kits (salifert) around 100 dollars

Salt mix 49.00 200 gallon bucket of oceanic

if you have poor water quality, 150.00 RO/DI system

there is more.. need I go on? Reefs will bleed you dry in setup costs, I did not even include Live Rock and Arragonite Sand (hoping to get some Southdown sand)

the fish are the cheap part... ocillarius clowns? 40 bucks a piece (ORA captive bread, never by wild caught unless nothing else is available) 2 Mandarin Dragonettes? avg 8 bucks a piece here, probalby more expensive as I want tank raised.

And of course, before you put any fish or corals in your tank... they should go in a quarantine tank... but most reefers have an old 10 or 20 gallon laying around for that purpose, so it's not much MORE of a setup cost.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why I do CP's, now, instead of fish. A $2 SASE here and there, plus a lot of generosity, has done well by me. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] But I sure do miss my fish and inverts! BTW, we had a "system" of interconnected tanks for the fish. Man, did it make difference in the morning after mortality rate! We never had massive sudden tank death or cryptocarion.The system allowed for ~4x as many fish to be brought in. The individual tanks were always a crapshoot, the morning after a shipment - especially the corals and anemones. Ya never knew if you had ALL of the doa's removed or whether one was week enough to die and cause a chain reaction. With the invert tanks we had several, so that we weren't mixing stars with corals or anything that would be a bad food chain move in a small environment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sound slike a nice setup Jim, I am excited that the new tank is going to have a refugium, I am using a talented acrylics guy down here to build me a nice, yet relatively inexpensive phyto-plankton reactor, which will feed not onlly corals, but zooplankton as well, I will still have to feed the tank, but I am trying to get the tank to 'feed itself' as much as possible.

I agree that CP's give you much more bang for the buck MUCH MUCH MORE! I have considered having my plastics guy make me a nice 'terrarium' for my plants. would much rather have a greenhouse, but, well, we all know how those plans go... they stay plans for far longer than any of us would like.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, you have gone significantly beyond my technological expertise! Wow! I would give up half my kingdom...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the funny thing is Jim, its really not technology, it's just plumbing and pumps... most tech in the tank is 10 years old, the big thing in reef tanks these days, is people are finally figuring out that God designed the best filters, algae soaks up nutriets, take out the algae and share, or feed it to a herbivore fish, wash and throw in your compost heap... nature has the best filtration so far... nothing beets the way it was intended to work, and THAT is the biggest breakthrough in reef keeping, leave no ecological niche unfilled!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple pictures of my newest 'pet'.

Meet Rose (affecionately named by my wife.)

2 hours after addition to the tank:

and this morning:

Rose, is a E. Quadricolor Rose Bubble Tip Anemone. She feeds from one a day to once every three days on silversides, shrimp, scallops, or any other seafood i have frozen in the freezer. In the second picture you can see Rompers, my PJ cardinal saying hello.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, and the two corals on either side of Rose, while having been there first, will probably be removed... I am waiting to see if Rose will move on to pick another home before I do anything though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do any of the mentioned creatures ever breed in captivity?
    that makes no logic

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast