Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My other hobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to show you all a peek of my other hobby. The page is only temporary to make viewing images easier. Oh, and since the detail is kind of needed for the specimens in the picture, the images can be large sometimes... broadband connections are a good idea! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

My Digital Reef

I hope to start posting pics of my plants up again soon. I have a pot totally overgrown with various forms of D. Binata
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH, I guess some explanation would be good.

The 'creatures' in the shot are all either coral, or what is known as a coralamorphine (somewhere between a coral and an anemone biologically.)

These corals all host a symbiotic algae known as zooanthelle in their cells, this gives them their amazing colors.

And proof that the apple does not fall far from the tree, many of those corals are infact carnivorous, with the orange and blue rhodactus mushroom having been known to eat the occasional fish.

Not to far removed from my carnivours plants... it's a new form of gardening, under water, and with a heck of a lot more light.

(That tank is lit with 120 watts of power compact light (50% 10K daylight, 50 % blue actinic, as well as a 175 watt metal halide bulb (10K) )

By the end of this year I will also have replaced this tank with a 115 gallon cube tank, lit with 300 watts (4 x 24" tubes) of VHO, mostely blue actinic and a 400w 13K metal halide.

I still love my CP's, but have run out of room indoors, so they are kind of in a holding pattern until the family greenhouse goes up on the ranch.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great other hobby there RP [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

That first unknown coral form “Sam” is a species of Hydnopora. They have a very powerful sting and long sweeper tentacles, so watch that you don't have it too close to your other corals.

That second unknown from “Sam” is a species of Caulastrea. Commonly called Candy Cane Coral.

There are loads of references to both if you do a Google search.

Both are rather hardy corals to have and should mostly open their tentacles at night.

So how about telling a little of your setup?

As for me... I'm heavily involved in marine aquariums as well. I was Prez, then Vice Prz and now stepped down, form a local marine aquarium society. I also run a small part-time business making filtration equipment for the Australian market.

My main area of interest is collecting/propagating SPS corals, though over the last 9 months my fulltime job and part-time business have meant little time has gone into the hobby.

Good to see another reefer [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love reefs! Unfortunately your page won't load for me. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Since I couldn't see the page do you have any fish or just inverts? I'm really fascinated with the huge variety of non-fish life forms in marine aquariums and was my biggest draw to starting a reef which had to be abandoned when I lost my job in 2001 so I turned it into a terrarium and now I'm a nepenthes maniac...!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, You're back! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] Beautiful, man. Beautiful!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, I am back, sorry I haven't been around much... as the mods can attest, I am working some insane hours... I have tome to read up on a lot of what goes on here, just not post in it.

A little about the tank, there are two pj cardinals in it right now, but they are soon to go, I am finding I care more about the invertebrate population than the fish, and they were temporary place holders, as I wanted either a pair of maroon clowns, or a black pair of perculas (maroons are mean and very territorial, perculas are nicer, the bonus of hte maroon is that it naturally hosts in the anemone I have on back order (A purple tip rose buble anemone, captive bread). THe PJ's have decimated my population of copepods and amphipods... one bonus, in their place i have tons of mini-stars, bristle worms, and other little goodies.

The tank is currently a 30 gallon hexagon with about 40 lbs of lalo and tonga live rock. FIltration consists of one Magnum 350 running carbon, cleaned 2 times a week (I don't want it for mechanical filtration, I only want the carbon, but you take what you get! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] ) and a remora pro w/mag 3 for a protien skimmer. THey keep the water crystal clear. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] lighting is described in an earlier post. for flow, I am now using a sqwd on a small pump (SQWD's flip outlet of water to make 'wave action'.)

The new tank will be a 115 gallon cube tank, w/ a 4 port Oceans motions on a closed loop for wave action, a custom built sump, refugium, skimmer and calcium reactor from a talented fella in my local aquarium society.

Aaron, thanks for the ID, i had that written down but lost it on the way home from the hobbyist I got the frags from, I just got in contact with him yesterday and got the ids, though I had no idea the hydnopora had sweepers! Glad I posted, I will be sure to keep everything away. I have allready put my anemone on hold, as I think he would have a hard time navigating the small tank full of corals allready... gonna wait to have him shipped when the 115 comes on line.

Oh, and other inverts in the tank would be:

Amphipods and Copepods (not observed in months, but pretty hard to get rid of! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] )

Mini-brittle and mini-sea stars

3 different kinds of bristleworms

I have a ton of little sessile mollusks that spit out mucous, catch stuff, and haul it back in... I forget their names...

about 5 Dwarf Zebra hermits, and one emerald mithrax (also soon to go, I have decided to do only indo-pacific species)

And various Trochus, Tongan Super Nassarius snails, and one turbo that I for the life of me can't figure out how he got in my tank (probably came on a coral, live rock is all indo pacific, as is the sand)

I also have some keyhole limpets I am watching with a wary eye, but so far, they are behaving.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh i LOVE reefs!
    the ONE coral i could never grow was a goniopora.. i wonder what the secret is?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some stars I think are really neat are basket, feather, African, and blue linkia. I'm not sure how they will do with corals. Other cool inverts are slugs: purple, tricolor, gooseneck barnacles, purple long-tentacled anemone, colored carpet anemone, banded coral shrimp and its golden version, clown shrimp, green plate coral, goniapora, x-mas coral, and feather dusters from Hawaii. Now this is from a wholesaler's pespective - bring 'em in and move 'em out.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast