Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The deadly potatoe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now, if only the plant could digest the but, it would be considered carnivorous...
    LACPS Member
    \"Don't make me sic my targ on you!\" -Jonathan Passow
    www.mulletman.org <--VISIT MY NEW HOMEPAGE&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol... I don't spoof.. I whack with the mallet! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

seriously, who is to know if it is indeed carnivorous or not? usually a study is done to determine if a plant is carnivorous, we know frmo what studies have been done the plant releases a chemical that agitates the a prey, and eventually solidifies and starves it to death. One wonders if A) the dead aphid falls to the ground as fertilizer, or as the plant decays for the year, the nutrituin derived the following year could be percieved as carnivorous behavior? interesting.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

- And tomatoes, too, but in a chemical way.
    I found this in the Mother Earth News magazine -
    "When tomato hornworms begin feeding on tomato leaves, the tomatoes do two things -- they change their leaf chemistry so they become a less nutritious food, and they release volatile chemicals that attract natural enemies of hornworms. In tomato and many other plants, these volatile chemicals include jasmonic acid, a natural plant hormone that works like a dinner bell to beneficials such as braconid wasps, which are major parasites of tomato hornworms." It goes on to say that it's been found "that the same 'signaling pathway' decreases feeding by spider mites on tomatoes; other researchers have found that jasmonic acid even attracts carvivorous mites, which then feed on the pest spider mites."
    Fascinating stuff, that plants can 'take care of themselves,' eh?
    Restore our biosphere, create a new culture of kindness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't bromeliads use trichomes to absorb water and nutrients from decayed stuff? Because if the potato could get nutrients from the bugs, then wouldn't it be considered carnivorous?

Mike

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ July 23 2004,3:26)]Ram...you and Dan Quayle share something in common. lol [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

That's very interesting. Its really amazing how plants develop their defense systems.
    Suzanne, I just read this topic for the first time. I think I might be the only one who caught the potato(e) allusion.

I also went back a few pages in the Utricularia Forum to learn from the masters about cultivating them, since I've received 16 species in the past couple weeks. I caught some interplay between you, William and Joseph. Talk about rolling on the floor....

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i heard nocotine in tobacco is a natural insecticide.

even if this potatoe is carnivorous, it's still a potatoe, y'know? i don't think i'd grow it.

imagine the ooh's and aah's your friends and family give you when they see your plants for the first time and leard they are carnivores, i don't think i'd get the same response from people over a potatoe, carnivorous or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am mad at Bolivia...they are the ones that shot Butch and Sundance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12