What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New way to water propagate plants

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My success rate with my ceph was 16% with plain water. Then I decided I can not do any worse and tried the sugar / fuguscide mix. My success rate went up to 83%.

Wow, that's quite a difference. Are you using a neem oil based fungicide?

I wonder if one could also use the multiplication hormone from tissue culture with this method. Or multivitamin tablets...
Peter

rubrarubra,
The fungicide I use is Dragon Systemic Fungicide 3336 WP. The idea you mention about a multivitamin tablets is why I added a drop of Superthrive this last time.

Hmm...good idea!

I've heard about this mainly with pumpkins. They'll cut into the vine and place a bowl of sugar water underneath to help it grow larger. It used to be one of the main tricks in growing those gigantic championship contest pumpkins you see on TV.

I've also heard that if you use beer instead of sugar, you'll get a pumpkin that has a beer flavor to it. Though I doubt anybody wants to eat a beer sundew ;)

speek for yourself, scott!!!

drosera.JPG

you can even see the binata leaves...

you have to keep in mind the sugar you use. the specific type of sugar made by the photosynthesis of plants is fructose, there are many different types of sugar (glucose, lactose, fructose, sucrose.. and other things ending in ose) if its any other kind of sugar (not fructose) i would think that it won't do any good for it. Fructose is the sugar found in fruit, all plant leave make and use it, but fruits like apples and pears etc. are sort of like storage for the next generation (the seeds inside).
cool.gif
...they also taste good so we eat em

what if you extracted juice from the sugarcane plant, evaporated the juice, then fed the fructose that was left behind to plants?

it seems like alot more trouble that feeding them fishfood or bugs
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Scott @ July 27 2004,11:34)]Hmm...good idea!  

I've heard about this mainly with pumpkins.  They'll cut into the vine and place a bowl of sugar water underneath to help it grow larger.  It used to be one of the main tricks in growing those gigantic championship contest pumpkins you see on TV.  

I've also heard that if you use beer instead of sugar, you'll get a pumpkin that has a beer flavor to it.  Though I doubt anybody wants to eat a beer sundew ;)
You can kill slugs at the same time, too.

can u guys refer me to a site on how to propagate? imma newb and i need som help, if u can u can jus PM< me with the directions thnx

pick off a leaf including a petiole, and just lay it on appropriet substrate and in a couple of weeks- a month is should make buds.

also, it gets annoying when people ressurect an old thread.

If I am not mistaken there are many sources of fructose to be boughten at grocery stores. If it is an interest to someone. I must admit I am curious. I am notorious for trying things with my plants to find loopholes in growth and propagation. Perhaps I will try this.
One question: When you take leaf cuttings of Ceph are they in any more of a humid environment than the parents they come from?

Joe

I had been placing a clear dome over the ceph cuttings with 2 thin slits cut in the sides to the top.
I had tried 3 cutting during the summer and all 3 turned brown and died in days.
Maybe they do better when it's cooler in the tank. I'm also going to try it with no domes over the pots in a few months.

I've had some success with ceph cuttings. I place them in live spag, sitting in a mix of water with a VERY dilute addition of superthrive and orchid fertilizer (the yellow one). Cover top of container loosely with plastic wrap. There are some problems on the moss with that slimey/webby fungus, but it doesn't seem to affect the leaf cuttings. It doesn't get warmer than 80-90F in my tank (room temp), the lights are high up and don't warm it at all.

Plants produce both glucose and fructose (C6H12O6 with differing molecular structures) these combine to form sucrose (C12H22O12). Sucrose is common table sugar obtained from sugar cane and sugar beets.

I have used sugar water to perk up unhappy plants but have never thought of using it for propagation. Thank you for shareing

Also remember plants need more then just sugar, they need all their macro and micro- nutrients to grow their best.

Chris

ok... what's the water-sugar ratio? if you use too much sugar, the cells will be in a hypertonic solution and will experience plasmolysis. (the H2O will diffuse out of their cells and they will die)

I have read that one can place a willow leaf in water with a cutting and it will root. Willow leaves are supposed to have similar compounds that are in the rooting hormones sold commercially. Aspirin is made from the leaves too.

Tweek

Actualy asprin is chemically synthesized version of a compound found in the leaves.

can i mix my distilled water with sugar and pour some on them?

I USED a trap thats about to die, i heard its ok, is it guys?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (buster1 @ July 27 2004,1:29)]I'm not a chemist, but isn't the sugar we use sucrose (a disaccharide) and isn't the sugar plants use glucose (a monosaccharide), and doesn't that mean the leaf would have to break down sucrose into glucose? How does it do that - or can plants use sucrose?
I think the plants wouldn't have much problem breaking down complex sugars since some naturally have very complex types of polysaccharides (eg.cellulose, fructose...don't some even have sucrose?) I remember reading that somewhere...

Heck, what do I have to lose? I might as well try it, what with the current trend of madness going around...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]can i mix my distilled water with sugar and pour some on them?

Just make sure its ant-proof. Last thing I would want is a colony of ants cramming my pots like men at a crowded pub.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Willow leaves are supposed to have similar compounds that are in the rooting hormones sold commercially.

I thought rooting hormones contained auxin?

Jason

Ps: Actually the ant idea isn't that bad at all if it were to happen in some of my sarr pitchers. Maybe some sugar in the pitcher would attract them? Hey, BTW has anyone tried feeding neps/sarrs/helis via the pitchers? I'm about to try it...I know that milk works...

Back