Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New way to water propagate plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plants produce both glucose and fructose (C6H12O6 with differing molecular structures) these combine to form sucrose (C12H22O12). Sucrose is common table sugar obtained from sugar cane and sugar beets.

I have used sugar water to perk up unhappy plants but have never thought of using it for propagation. Thank you for shareing

Also remember plants need more then just sugar, they need all their macro and micro- nutrients to grow their best.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok... what's the water-sugar ratio? if you use too much sugar, the cells will be in a hypertonic solution and will experience plasmolysis. (the H2O will diffuse out of their cells and they will die)
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have read that one can place a willow leaf in water with a cutting and it will root. Willow leaves are supposed to have similar compounds that are in the rooting hormones sold commercially. Aspirin is made from the leaves too.

Tweek
    \"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.\" - EInstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actualy asprin is chemically synthesized version of a compound found in the leaves.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can i mix my distilled water with sugar and pour some on them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I USED a trap thats about to die, i heard its ok, is it guys?
    Fly eats dung,plants eat fly, dog eats plant, asian eats dog
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/aznsushi41/Feeding/Fed%20Fly.jpg[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (buster1 @ July 27 2004,1:29)]I'm not a chemist, but isn't the sugar we use sucrose (a disaccharide) and isn't the sugar plants use glucose (a monosaccharide), and doesn't that mean the leaf would have to break down sucrose into glucose? How does it do that - or can plants use sucrose?
    I think the plants wouldn't have much problem breaking down complex sugars since some naturally have very complex types of polysaccharides (eg.cellulose, fructose...don't some even have sucrose?) I remember reading that somewhere...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck, what do I have to lose? I might as well try it, what with the current trend of madness going around...

Quote[/b] ]can i mix my distilled water with sugar and pour some on them?
    Just make sure its ant-proof. Last thing I would want is a colony of ants cramming my pots like men at a crowded pub.

Quote[/b] ]Willow leaves are supposed to have similar compounds that are in the rooting hormones sold commercially.
    I thought rooting hormones contained auxin?

Jason

Ps: Actually the ant idea isn't that bad at all if it were to happen in some of my sarr pitchers. Maybe some sugar in the pitcher would attract them? Hey, BTW has anyone tried feeding neps/sarrs/helis via the pitchers? I'm about to try it...I know that milk works...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast