What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heres a question for you guys......

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
i was writing out a check for my plants at the greenhouse this weekend and got to wondering just how much do you all spend on plants? not all the lighting and such but just on plants? i walked out of a greenhouse this weekend with $110 in plants, one nep and 3 orchids. i also purchased an orchid for $15 at Home Depot because Darla wanted it and $10 on an ant plant at a different nursery. thats $135 in one weekend on plants(before tax), i also picked up a small bale of Chilean LFS, some coconut fiber and a few pots. i prolly spend $25 or so in postage a month either because of trades or SASE's. and prolly another $50-$100 on ebay for various plants, mainly orchids a month. the $115 i spent at the one place is a lil unusual for me but purchases in the $50 range isnt uncommon. so how bad are you?

Rattler

Well... a trip to the greenhouse can sometimes mean $60-$80...but that might include supplies. I don't do that very often these as I have no money.
biggrin.gif

For buying plants, eBay is often MUCH cheaper. You can find just about anything there.

But I have to rein myself in and not spend too much on plants.
smile_h_32.gif
Just the maintenance supplies cost enough.

Tony i have a feeling that between you and Wistuba my check book will take one heck of a hit as soon as my new grow chamber is done. so many neps so lil space
smile_n_32.gif

rattler

Maybe 20.00 a year? I rarely buy plants but if someone offers petiolaris Drosera I am usually in. I actually spend more on non-CP plants, but even then it is usually Valerie who pays for the infrequent plant from Walmart or whatever.

yeah Tamlin but you have looooooooooooooottttttttttsss of interesting stuff to trade. im still building my collection. although i should have some real neat Utrics to trade after awhile now. i do tend to spend alot of $ on orchids. Darla asked me to try growing them when we first started going out after she learned i had a green thumb over 2 years ago. well im hooked on those now along with my CPs. most of my $ spent on CPs is either on Neps or postage on trades. i think ive only actually paid for one Utric. the ones Tim sent me i think fall under S&H. oh well better on plants than some other things that i used to spend money on.

Rattler

well dakota water softening gives away free reverse-osmosis water on tusedays, so watercosts wont be a big deal.'

Ok shure i had the money to get plants and stuff but i blew it. Well i had been saving it for while, and i had 70$. But then we went to a art convention or whatever and i got carried away...

I probably spend about $30/year on potting supplies and shipping, and the greenhouse was $50...
Peter

$300-$400 a year.

Hi, my name is Joe and I have a problem.
smile_n_32.gif

Joe

About 250-350 this year... It Cp's are controlling me! They are telling me to buy buy buy!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ July 27 2004,4:08)]Maybe 20.00 a year?  I rarely buy plants but if someone offers petiolaris Drosera I am usually in.   I actually spend more on non-CP plants, but even then it is usually Valerie who pays for the infrequent plant from Walmart or whatever.
I can relate to this. After tapping out Home Depot, Lowes, and one local nursery, and a few from Mutschlers, it has been a few dollars here and a few dollars there for pest, sand, and LFS. Then there's the Trading Post - 2 dollars here, 2 dollars there, and some highly generous folks that just plain donated. Much cheaper hobby than saltwater fish!

jimscott is right, it's alot cheaper.. but nothing beats a well cared for reef... i'm SO going to have another reef tank after i graduate from college and get a real job!

i probably spend a few dozen dollars, most of my stuff i got from the trading post, people had a real interest in all those cypripedium orchids!!
and if PAK and Forbes are reading this, i havn't forgotten about you!!

and i must, MUST thank Rose most of all, she has given me so much and i didn't even ask! she's a great lady.

hi im new this topic seems active, were do you all chat around here?

me? i try to spend at little as possible on my cps, because im a student and my parents blah blah....
ive spent $100-$150 Sing dollah on plants since i started which was about a year ago and double on equioment
smile_n_32.gif

smile_l_32.gif
So far, I have spent around £150+, and I am going to go buy loads more stuff, so it will probably be around £205+ by next January!
smile_l_32.gif

Back