What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just gave my youngest

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I have four kids. The first three inherited their love of art and disdain for science from my wife, their mother. My youngest, who has Aspergers Syndrome, is science and math oriented - like his old man.

Today, I gave him (a 10 rear old) his first CP - a Drosera spatulata. I gave him strict instructions to never use the water from the sink and showed him the containers of collected rainwater to use. He now has it in his room, inside another container, open tray, on an east facing window sill. All he knows is that he has a sundew, because Drosera spatulata means nothing to him - today. I explained that the word sundew resembles the morning dew he sees on the grass.

Today a sundew. Soon a VFT. Then a P. primuliflora, followed by a... ?

today it's a spatulata, next thing you know they'r growing a 5 foot N. rajah. they grow up so fast!!

seriously though, i think a nice plant for him to try if he takes good care of those three is something big, like a sarracenia, or a V. ventricosa or something that can grow on the windowsill.

that's precious
biggrin.gif
You'r a great dad.

First a sundew than a terrarium, than a minibog, then growing shelves than a greenhouse than a nursery
smile_n_32.gif
I wish one of my parents was "into" CP's

Thats a nice thing to do.My son 11,has no interest in cps,my little girl 6(she will always be my little girl  
smile.gif
 ) shows interest in them,so I gave her a red dragon vft.It is outside with my plants,but she checks on her red dragon.

Jerry

That's great, Jim.
smile.gif

I think I got my cp interest from my dad too. He's the green thumb of the family: he's always had numerous houseplants, and, periodically, veggie gardens and fruit trees. He had a couple of vft's when he was a kid, but he killed them because he fed them hamburger in the middle of winter.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

That's really cool Jim. That should be something awesome to start him out on.

Scott,
Feeling a little out numbered in the house.
smile_n_32.gif

Good job Jim......nice to share interests with your kids.

I gave my little sister a D. Alicea (Sp?) which fits perfectly since it is facing a north window. Only, I have to take care of the watering every once in a while...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (firewired @ July 28 2004,12:48)]Good job Jim......nice to share interests with your kids.
I feel more outnumbered when you throw all six of us together and even though there are only two female type people - the toilet seats still remain down. Statistics do not change reality. NOT that I wanna go back to THAT topic again.
smile_m_32.gif

That's because WOMEN RULE!
Oh, sorry, off topic...
Seriously, though, I think that's great, too.  Kids should be given all sorts of exposure to everything this wonderful world has to offer.  And taking care of plants engenders responsibility.

Very cool Jim! I plan on doing the same with my daughter if she shows the interest. Right now we're still working on the being able to hold her head up thing.....

Awww...how sweet.
smile.gif
I think its great to teach young kids love and respect for plants (all living things really). For some it will take...for some it will be forgotten.

I think they need to market a musical CP mobile to hang over a crib that plays "I love CPs...Use only pure water...Pot in nutrient-poor soil...Give lots of light...Rescue endangered CPs...Give away seeds and plants...." over and over so by the time they are 1 year old, they already have the essence of CP growing down pat.
biggrin.gif
hehe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ July 28 2004,12:09)]Awww...how sweet.  
smile.gif
  I think its great to teach young kids love and respect for plants (all living things really).  For some it will take...for some it will be forgotten.

I think they need to market a musical CP mobile to hang over a crib that plays "I love CPs...Use only pure water...Pot in nutrient-poor soil...Give lots of light...Rescue endangered CPs...Give away seeds and plants...." over and over so by the time they are 1 year old, they already have the essence of CP growing down pat.  
biggrin.gif
 hehe
I think its very nice!
smile.gif
Um, no offence but whats Agfers Syndrome?

I know what you meam, PAK. Before I was 7, I picked every flower in sight, including the ones on my grans balcony!
smile_l_32.gif

Then, I picked some flowers of a tree,thats when I was 7, he told me once that once you pick a flower, it starts to die.
I asked some questions such as why, he anwsered all of them, and I have NEVER picked a flower since. Never, to this day. Its been 6 years now. When my mom tries to pick flowers, I dont let her, and I rarely losen up about it.
Dino

lol, kind of reminds me of Darla's two lil girls. not to long ago in school, her oldest did a project involving planting up some panseys for mothers day. she told the teacher she would give them to me as soon as she got home. her teacher looked confused and asked why she wasnt going to give them to her mom. Katey said flat out "mom will kill them, Sheridans got a green thumb. mommy's is black." her teacher told us it took awhile to quit laughing at that statement. oh well. its good to give kids their own plants, pets ect. the responsibility is good. somethings may not survive but yah gotta keep trying.

Rattler

Back