What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whoooooooooooohoooooooooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i checked the Montana Fish and Game website at lunch and got quite a surprise. while i didnt draw an elk tag, i did get my deer B tag(antlerless whitetail). my speed goat tag is still pending. Darla however drew both her deer B tag(hers is for antlerless mule deer) AND an antlerless elk tag!!!!!!!!! these coupled with our normal deer A tags(each good for 1 deer either sex, either species) and the possibility of us getting our speed goat tags means one heck of a freezer full of GREAT tasting, extreamly healthy meat. no more store bought beef for me YAY!!!!!!!!!!! Darlas been kind of rubbing it in my face but oh well. maybe next year ill get an elk. last year i got a speed goat and she didnt.

Rattler

wh-what?
confused.gif

tags for hunting.......i spend most every weekend from the begining of October through the last weekend in November filling the freezer. my brother, my fiancee, her father and I spend lots of time together up at the cabin and walking the hills, badlands and lake shore. we butcher about everything ourselves other than pronghorn bucks. im not a good enough cook to deal with them so we have them made into sausage, salami ect ect ect. believe me the best steak you can find does not even compare to some nicely aged elk tenderloin.

Rattler

What is a speed goat?

Elk meat is delicious! I had an elk burger in Sun Valley, Id several years ago. SO tasty!

I am also very partial to buffallo. That's good stuff on the grill....

What are you talking about?
confused.gif

Oh no, hunting...................
Killing animals, no thank you, at least not for me.
I dont know how you can hurt and kill inocent animals.
confused.gif

I know I cant.
Dino

speed goat is pronghorn or american antelope

Rattler

Congrats Rattler! I was out in MT for ruffed grouse by Bozeman. I also tried sage grouse but had no luck. I was flushing about 15 grouse an hour. Awsome hunting! I will also be going to MT on Aug. 13th *Friday The 13th* for my sisters wedding in Bozeman. Good Luck.
smile.gif

I went on a bow hunting trip out in the Colorado Rockies a few years ago for elk. What a blast! Horseback riding every day and hanging out in treestands watching the wildlife!

Starman i see absolutly no difference between going to the store and buying a few steaks and me going out and taking animals that were saved from extinction BY HUNTERS. deer, elk and especially pronghorn were saved from extiction because hunters wanted to be able to hunt them and for their children to be able to hunt. most all the wildlife conservation you see to day was started and is still largely funded by hunters like myself. i do everything in my power to humainly put the animal down. if you ban hunting the animals become worthless. by allowing hunting each animal is worth something. ppl spend upwards of $20,000 to hunt bighorn sheep. most of that money goes back to maintaining habitat, reaserch ect ect ect. when Kenya outlawed hunting. they lost alot of money that was going to their wildlife. poachers slaughtered the elephants because no one was interested in them. 5 tags for elephant would have paid for protecting most of the rest in the country from poaching. why? because the animals are worth $$$. you may not like it but thats the way the world works. besides ill take the hormone free elk steaks over the chemical loaded meat sold by most grocery stores today.

Rattler

In the Northeast the lack of natural predators means the whitetail deer population expands out of control which cause problems with interaction with humans as well as problems with disease and starvation within the animal population itself. Hunting for conservation reasons and proper use of the game is a way of maintaining the herds at healthy levels. Many people near me also hunt as a way to suppliment their dependence on goverment food programs and supply their family with protein through the year. I also know many hunters that hunt for the sport but are not interested in the meat so they donate it to local food shelters.

That being said.. I am totally against people killing animals just for the heck of it in a nonresponsible manner.

Tony

ps.. lets keep this civil or it will be locked

sorry Tony. i was real happy about getting the tags, and didnt take the critisim very well. i hunt mainly to put meat on the table. like i said half of my tags are for non trophy animals. most of the meat i get gets divided between my family of 4, my parents and my 3 siblings and my fiancees parents. in all actuallity im long out of wild game in the freezer by the time the next hunting season rolls around. another thing, alot of ppl in places like souther Cali and New York city who have lived there all their life really dont know what good meat is. ive been told this by friends of mine that have been treated to a "good steak" at some fancy resturaunt by family and such while out of the state visiting. the meat cant compare to good, local farm raised beef up here. that said, in all reality the quality of meat that we even get at our local Albertsons has really dropped. in fact im about done buying my meat there. instead im going to go to a local family that butchers their own cattle and pigs.

Rattler

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ July 30 2004,4:27)]Starman i see absolutly no difference between going to the store and buying a few steaks and me going out and taking animals that were saved from extinction BY HUNTERS. deer, elk and especially pronghorn were saved from extiction because hunters wanted to be able to hunt them and for their children to be able to hunt. most all the wildlife conservation you see to day was started and is still largely funded by hunters like myself. i do everything in my power to humainly put the animal down. if you ban hunting the animals become worthless. by allowing hunting each animal is worth something. ppl spend upwards of $20,000 to hunt bighorn sheep. most of that money goes back to maintaining habitat, reaserch ect ect ect. when Kenya outlawed hunting. they lost alot of money that was going to their wildlife. poachers slaughtered the elephants because no one was interested in them. 5 tags for elephant would have paid for protecting most of the rest in the country from poaching. why? because the animals are worth $$$. you may not like it but thats the way the world works. besides ill take the hormone free elk steaks over the chemical loaded meat sold by most grocery stores today.

Rattler
Im sorry, I have always hated hunting, and I always will.  
smile_h_32.gif

Killing animals, you might find it fun, but I find it cruel.  
smile_h_32.gif

I dont know how you can go out and shoot animals, I dont know how anybody can.
confused.gif
The steaks that you buy from the shop are made from animals who are bred for that, who are humanly put down, they are not scared when they die. They use those weird gun things on them, right? By the time they realise whats happening, they are dead. The animals which you hunt spend their last moments in fear and running for their lives. They are terified and in so much pain just before they die.
smile_h_32.gif
I dont know how you can do such a thing, and I never will.
confused.gif

Dino

Opinions vary and I can deal with that, it is when ppl try to take away our rights.
smile.gif
*Biting my lip - will not get into this again*

never said killing an animal was fun. i take the killing of an animal very seriously. anything other than a clean quick kill is frowned appon. and infact an animal that has its self pumped up from being poorly shot generally tastes quite bad. the experiance of hunting is an absolute blast though. your out in beautiful country, seeing all kinds of critters landscapes and plants. i dont go out and shoot anything that moves.

Rattler

Congrats rattler!
biggrin.gif
I haven't had elk or pronghorn, but I've had venison and it's delicious if prepared right.
smile.gif

the taste of pronghorn varries greatly. a buck during the rut is terrible tasting. a nice dry doe however is as good as any dear. elk is also very good but some ppl dont like it. it tastes a lil "metalically" i think do to a large amount of iron in the meat. ill take most any of it over the average beef. and the real good stuff will beat the best beef any day.

Rattler

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ July 30 2004,5:01)]never said killing an animal was fun. i take the killing of an animal very seriously. anything other than a clean quick kill is frowned appon. and infact an animal that has its self pumped up from being poorly shot generally tastes quite bad. the experiance of hunting is an absolute blast though. your out in beautiful country, seeing all kinds of critters landscapes and plants. i dont go out and shoot anything that moves.

Rattler
I can easily go to the countryside here and see all kinds of orchids and animals, plants and maybe CPs such as Drosera rotundifolia, I can do all that witout mercilesley slaughtering innocent animals.
Dino

Why can't humans hunt but all other animals can? Many animals are crippled by other animals and that is ok but humans do that is not? Accidents happen while hunting animals, not every animal is going to be killed. If hunting does not kill them urban sprawl will or disease.

In fact, Starman, animals that come from the factory farm process have far more miserable lives than ones that are hunted in the wild. Not only are they confined in unsanitary conditions, they are fed unnatural foods and generally treated poorly. And the slaughtering is not always done humanely at all.

I, too, don't think I could raise a gun and shoot an animal, but that's just me. I'm a suburban/city dweller. I realize eating meat is part of life for many of us, and I'd rather the animal spend it's life free and in the wild than cooped up on a factory farm.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Travis @ July 30 2004,5:14)]Why can't humans hunt but all other animals can? Many animals are crippled by other animals and that is ok but humans do that is not? Accidents happen while hunting animals, not every animal is going to be killed. If hunting does not kill them urban sprawl will or disease.
I ask you to look around and to see how much damage humans have done with their precious hunting. Every dodo was killed, they are now gone for ever because of humans. Open your eyes. Many more animals are endangered because of humans. And so are many plants.
Dino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back