What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How about this for dinner guys?

My Godson works for the Florida Marine Research Institute and was in the Tortugas doing a lobster survey for the State when he caught this seven pound bug.  Unfortunately, since it was a survey, he had to release it.
I go down to his place on No Name Key quite often and during season we pig out on these guys...and stone crabs...and real key lime pie.  We wash it down with beer and Quervo and watch the sun set into the Gulf of Mexico.
Anyway, he has one really great job.

Dave's big blue lobster.
big_blue_lobster.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I go down to his place on No Name Key quite often and during season we pig out on these guys...and stone crabs...and real key lime pie. We wash it down with beer and Quervo and watch the sun set into the Gulf of Mexico.

Life's rough, eh Lauderdale?
biggrin.gif

Capslock

that things a monster!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Oh, what a cute lobster!
smile.gif

Dont eat poor lobster.....................
smile_h_32.gif

Dino
laugh.gif

i LOVE lobster, i could eat it all day like potatoe chips!!

too bad i'm allergic
smile_h_32.gif

oh by blue, o tought u ment the blue lobsters that resulted from pigment deficiancys.

of course many pictures found on the internet may be photoshop productions, but there are real ones too

like this

ted-with-blue-lobster.jpg

and this
blue_lobster_1.jpg

these are true blue lobsters:;):

Yeah, but those are extremely rare. I think whatever it is is similar to what makes "blue crayfish".

Yeah Capslock, things have been tough since lobster season has been closed but it opens August 6 and I can hardly wait for my first dinner of the season.
The lobster that Dave caught did have a light blue tint to it when it was brought out of the water to be measured and weighed.  That is why he named the photo "big blue".  They never get as dark blue as the Maine lobster in Finch's pic.
Stone crabs are always the same color...deeelicious.

saw a blue lobster a couple days ago on vacation, texas state aquarium in corpus.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think whatever it is is similar to what makes "blue crayfish".

There are blue mutations of crayfishes, yes, but when blue cryfish is stated it normally refers to the species of blue crayfsh native to freshwater streams and rivers near california coast. It is endangerd from habitat degredation and mostly competition with the much more aggresive and faster-breeding introduced crayfish that has invaded its habitat. The blue crayfish is a species, and in other crayfish it is a mutation. Either way they are very rare.

That is one BIG lobster! YUM! Cool photo too.

Yeah...it does sound like life is rough for you Jan.
biggrin.gif
Let me know what time dinner is and I'll be there. You can have all the beer though...I'll stick with the lobster and crab.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nflytrap @ Aug. 01 2004,12:44)]Yeah, but those are extremely rare. I think whatever it is is similar to what makes "blue crayfish".
What the heck, maybe some mad scientist did a couple of experiments with lobster and blue dye, and somehow it reproduced, retaining the 'blue' characteristic. Helps it to blend into the sea...
laugh.gif
If it really is a mutation, then it should be interesting to see what the heck is going on with the gene...
smile_l_32.gif

Hey Lauderdale, how deep does your godson have to dive to catch those things?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Hee hee others dream of your life...
smile_m_32.gif

Jason,  In the Keys, at certain times of the year, you used to be able to wade the knee deep reefs and catch them but now-a-days I get most of mine free diving in ten to thirty feet of water here in Broward (Ft. Lauderdale) County.
Of course the Scuba divers can go much deeper but lobsters seem to stay in areas not much deeper than 90 feet.
Actually, the easiest thing to do is to belly up to the bar at Old Florida Seafood Restaurant, about a mile from my home, and ask Rosa or Gerri for the house special, a Florida lobster stuffed with shrimp and scallops.  No muss, no fuss and plenty of friends to share good times with.  Oh yeah, the Key Lime pie works also.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]helps it blend into the sea

thats not right
The blue gene makes the animals stand out to predators, and thats why there are so few of them. Lobsters are bottom dwellers, and the bottom of the sea is not blue
smile_n_32.gif

*gulp* that is a FEAST! it must have been hard to turn loose.

My entire family, expect me, are seafood lovers. Will wipe the buffet table clean if given the chance. But I like marine animals anyhow.
smile.gif
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Actually, the easiest thing to do is to belly up to the bar at Old Florida Seafood Restaurant, about a mile from my home, and ask Rosa or Gerri for the house special, a Florida lobster stuffed with shrimp and scallops. No muss, no fuss and plenty of friends to share good times with. Oh yeah, the Key Lime pie works also.

My bro would dream and drool at that...
smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Hey Pondboy is that you or your mother? You back from hospital man?

If that's Pond Boy's mom...then obviously she's seen how nice the people are here and is getting addicted to the boards herself.
biggrin.gif
When Noah comes home, they will have to fight for the computer to log on to TF.
laugh.gif

smile_m_32.gif

Back