What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighwave 3d 8

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
I am considering purchasing Lightwave 3D 8. Does anyone have this or any experience with it? Is it worth $1700.00 ?

Lots of info would be appreciated since it is quite a purchase.

Thanks
Joe

WildBill and Caps, I know you guys have some 3D exp. who else does?

what is it?

It is a 3D modeling program. From what I have seen it is a pretty nice program and has some nice modeling tools. I have not used it myself, but I use 3D Studio Max 5. I like 3D modeling quite a bit, but haven't done anything huge with it. From what I have heard 3D max is better for animation and Lightwave might have the slight edge for modeling.

What are you using it for? Have you used 3D programs before? If so....you should post some pics
biggrin.gif

I may post some later if you want to see some of mine...

Yeah.....forgot to answer your question about is it worth it.   That kind of goes along with what you are using it for.  I bought 3D max, but I'm still in college, so I got the educational version of it.  I just can't make money with it or I violate the license.  It was about $400.......and I would say it is definitley worth that.  If you really like it, I say go for it....even if it is a bit spendy.  Are you out of college?  What kind of computer do you have......cpu, ram?

Ok........I was going to post another post, but I figured I would make use of the 'edit' feature to conserve some space
biggrin.gif
Here is a cool webiste on an artist that uses Lightwave. It shows some nice pictures, and some videos, and my favorite part, the making of them. It's a pretty nice site.

Dave Wilson Studios

I do it for myself I don't sell anything or do business but I am not in college or been there, so I don't qualify for the educational. I would love to have Maya but it's around $7000 for single use. I just don't have $$$$ like that to drop on a hobby in 1 shot. I use Bryce for terrain and terraforming, but it doesn't really do objects except for trees and rocks etc...
Perhaps I will get some of my stuff up but most of it is unfinished with basics in it. I would like to see what Studio Max can do, post some of yours.

Joe

I'm starting to fully understand the 3d environment and its creation so I want to move up. I also want to get the new ATI card which is FireGL X2-256T which is an accelorator with the fastest render and turnaround time. Cost: $900.

Joe

Heres one called Castle Disco, as I said still unfinished but you get an idea.

castledisco.jpg

This one has full animation that takes you on an tour of the castle through each room and you stop a full places. I took the liberty of not bogging up the servers with that cause it is a massive size as well as lessening my anti-aliasing.

Heres another, I was just tinkering with materials lab and tree lab and this came out of it.

Paradisehigh.jpg

Not much to this one
Yes I know it rendered out 2 shadows for the 2 palms in the back.

This is just my wifes name I did for her signature.

Megan.jpg

Nice pictures!  I also use Bryce.  I used to use it alot, and then made the transition to 3D max.  It's a BIG transition.  I went through books and tutorials like a mad man to figure out how to model things.  Bryce is kind of click something cool and it appears.....which I am a big fan of
biggrin.gif
but 3D Max is much much more complicated.  It's an amazing program.....I really like it but haven't really done a ton with it this summer.  Last summer I pretty much just spent all of my time doing that.  It was quite a bit of fun.  The first big thing I really tried doing was a tutorial on doing a female character.  It was really tough!  And it didn't turn out that well.  
confused.gif
 The first thing I tried on my own in 3D max was a Dodge Viper.  That didn't look too bad.  I'll post a pic.  I'll put up some of my Bryce stuff too.  That video card would be very nice....I have a 3D Labs wildcat VP970 which is supposed to be good for 3D modeling, but I really haven't been able to tell, my whole computer is new so it could be the 2GB of RAM that makes it quick too.
biggrin.gif
 Either way I'm happy with it!

These are all Bryce pictures.  Some of them I used Rhino to do some of the modeling and exported to Bryce.  I hope you have broadband!

Venus-Fly-Trap.jpg

dolphins-in-water-(red-clou.jpg

"Existance"
Existance-(big).jpg

Search2.jpg

light-bulb.jpg

Chess-Pieces.jpg

"Fountain of Youth"
Fountain-of-youth(BHQ).jpg

Atom.gif

And....last but not least, this is my 3D Max model that I worked on for many hours, it's not done yet.....still have alot more modeling and texturing and different stuff to do, but this was my first real modeling attempt on my own.

viper%20big.jpg

viper2.jpg

I remembered a few more......these are 3D Max too:

clock%20big.jpg

chess%20blue%20bbg.jpg

This one took alot of work!
chair%20big.jpg

You got me.....cool pictures though.

Did you get your degree in animation? I am in graphic design and have one semester left of college. I am interning at a place with some 3D animation, although I'm interning in the graphic design department.......I hope to get in on a little 3D animation. They have Maya there
biggrin.gif

Back