Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighwave 3d 8

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am considering purchasing Lightwave 3D 8. Does anyone have this or any experience with it? Is it worth $1700.00 ?

Lots of info would be appreciated since it is quite a purchase.

Thanks
    Joe

WildBill and Caps, I know you guys have some 3D exp. who else does?
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what is it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a 3D modeling program. From what I have seen it is a pretty nice program and has some nice modeling tools. I have not used it myself, but I use 3D Studio Max 5. I like 3D modeling quite a bit, but haven't done anything huge with it. From what I have heard 3D max is better for animation and Lightwave might have the slight edge for modeling.

What are you using it for? Have you used 3D programs before? If so....you should post some pics [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

I may post some later if you want to see some of mine...
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah.....forgot to answer your question about is it worth it. That kind of goes along with what you are using it for. I bought 3D max, but I'm still in college, so I got the educational version of it. I just can't make money with it or I violate the license. It was about $400.......and I would say it is definitley worth that. If you really like it, I say go for it....even if it is a bit spendy. Are you out of college? What kind of computer do you have......cpu, ram?

Ok........I was going to post another post, but I figured I would make use of the 'edit' feature to conserve some space [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] Here is a cool webiste on an artist that uses Lightwave. It shows some nice pictures, and some videos, and my favorite part, the making of them. It's a pretty nice site.

Dave Wilson Studios
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do it for myself I don't sell anything or do business but I am not in college or been there, so I don't qualify for the educational. I would love to have Maya but it's around $7000 for single use. I just don't have $$$$ like that to drop on a hobby in 1 shot. I use Bryce for terrain and terraforming, but it doesn't really do objects except for trees and rocks etc...
    Perhaps I will get some of my stuff up but most of it is unfinished with basics in it. I would like to see what Studio Max can do, post some of yours.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm starting to fully understand the 3d environment and its creation so I want to move up. I also want to get the new ATI card which is FireGL X2-256T which is an accelorator with the fastest render and turnaround time. Cost: $900.

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres one called Castle Disco, as I said still unfinished but you get an idea.

This one has full animation that takes you on an tour of the castle through each room and you stop a full places. I took the liberty of not bogging up the servers with that cause it is a massive size as well as lessening my anti-aliasing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres another, I was just tinkering with materials lab and tree lab and this came out of it.

Not much to this one
    Yes I know it rendered out 2 shadows for the 2 palms in the back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast