Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free 27 inch tvs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ Aug. 04 2004,3:53)]Plus they're selling our email addresses to spammers. Don't use your main email if you sign-up.
    Yeah, probably that too. Didnt think of it right away, but I wouldn't be surprised. But like you said, you could use the AOL e-mail and cancel it later, so no spam really [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a big fat scam to me.

No thankee.
    Some random words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember my first day of Economics like it was yesterday. (It's been almost 10 years.)

The teacher drilled a mantra into our heads!

"There is no such thing as a free lunch!"

not only are they nabbing your e-mail addies, I wouldn't be suprised if they are tracing your IP address well. My advise, stay away.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats the problem of tracing your IP address? I wouldn't be surprised if this message board did that in fact, its a standard feature in most web forums to help track down any hackers/spammers.

And I dont know, I've gotten dozens of free CDs, free mousepads, coupons, samples. I get Rolling Stone free, some IT magazines free...There are a lot of real deals out there for free things. It may be unbelieveable at first cause its counterintuative, we dont understand how these people make any money to do this. But somehow they do, and I for one will gladly accept the free stuff and walk away happy
    Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is, that not everyone in the world is nice, and has to conform the the laws and rules of our land. THere are countries that thrive on internet traffic generated through advertising, spamming, and so on.

For instance, you are aware that if you get a spam message from an american server, and you ask them to remove you from their list, they do. What are your options when the spam originated from a server in bolivia?

Most people don't run firewalls, or any type of spam/ad/spyware blocking software. Your IP address is like your physical address and people who don't have your best interests in mind will take advantage of it... with your ip address, it is only a matter of time before exploits left open by microsoft or whoever made your OS are exploited, and a piece of spyware or adware that you are totally unaware of is installed, without your knowledge or consent on your system

Yes, your IP address is tracked here, but only for the purposes of banning it if you become to rambunxious, the only people that can see it are mods and admins.

Here is a challenge: go to the following site and download the following software, it's freeware if your a home consumer, if you download to a business, you need to purchase it.

go to Adaware Download (Download.com)

I am willing to bet, that after you install, and run the update (to get definitions, just like virus scanners) and scan your computer, your jaw is going to drop at what you find... and I bet you won't even remember clicking yes to install any of it. These jerks will do 'silent' installs of their software onto your system and track your internet usage, design banners and adds just for you, get pop ups and you don't know why? suprise! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Some people say 'big deal' and that is your right, the way I feel about it, I paid for my computer for me to use, not them, I pay for my internet access for me to use, not so they can download my usage statistics accross my lines without my knowledge. This is MY

PRIVATE computer, and they have no right to install software on it without my permission. So I fight them at it every step I get. I operate from behind a firewall (not always enough) and scan my computer every week. When I upgraded from the old verison of adaware recently to the new version, I was stunned to find 127 programs running illegally on my computer. I don't visit anything online except cp sites, reef sites, gaming sites, news, (msnbc and the like) and so on, so it's not limited to the more... uhh... questionable... sites on the internet.

Why should you let someone make big bucks of selling your private info? might as well invite someone to follow you around all day and night.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey RamPuppy,

I actually run AdAware and SpyBot on a weekly basis, so my comp is nice and clean

And overall I agree with everything you said. There are lots of companies who place ad-ware, hijackers, pop-up software, etc. on your computer without your permission; itís a legitimate and serious problem these days.

Iím totally in the same mindset as you are about privacy. I like my life private and donít want the world knowing my details, yet I still sign up for things like this. But I try to do so wisely, as everyone else should do. I have e-mail accounts designated solely for online registrations like this. That way any future Spam will be directed there, rather then to my ďrealĒ e-mail address.

Do I give away my physical mailing address? Sure, but only to the companies that I trust. And I honestly donít mind if I get a few credit card applications in the mail, or other things like that. I like getting mail And ultimately it can be thrown away, and the good thing about postal mail, it actually costs the person money to send you junk. So theyíre losing revenue if you never respond.

But while weíre on the topic of privacy and malware in general, Iíd suggest everybody go out and download Mozilla Firefox. It has far fewer security exploits than Internet Explorer and is a much safer browsing platform in general. Similarly, check out BugMeNot.com Itís a site where you can bypass registration for things such as the NYTimes, LATimes.com, etc. That way you donít have to divulge a ton of personal information just to read a single article.

And for offers like this or anything else, just stick to a good rule of thumb: if you have second thoughts about giving them your personal information, you probably shouldnít in the first place.
    Scott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (RamPuppy @ Aug. 04 2004,3:56)]I remember my first day of Economics like it was yesterday. (It's been almost 10 years.)

The teacher drilled a mantra into our heads!

"There is no such thing as a free lunch!"

not only are they nabbing your e-mail addies, I wouldn't be suprised if they are tracing your IP address well. My advise, stay away.
    I got the same mantra with my Environmental Science courses. Somebody DOES pay [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it sounds too good to be true......it probably is.

Also guys, you may want to consider adding Spysweeper to your computer along with Adaware and Spybot. It finds spyware that the other two don't. I usually run those two first, and then Spysweeper, and there are still about 10 or 20 files left.
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast