What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free 27 inch tvs

Big Big Edit of this post!

For those who are curious, I was able to get the 8 required referrals to earn my free TV set(I actually got 9, go me!). The TV is somewhere in the mail, and once I get it, you can expect pictures!

For those who never read the first post though, there is basically a company thats giving away free TV sets. You have to join a trial offer through their website then get 8 others to do the same, and you get a free TV. They can do this cause they earn a commission on the signups, so that helps balance out the cost of a TV set. The good part is that you can just cancel the trials later on so you never pay anything...lol.

While I no longer need to post a referral link, here is the main URL if anyone wants to try: FreeFlatscreens.com

The same company is also running: FreeiPods.com
and: FreeiPods.com

So you can do those if you'd like. But if you wanna try for the computer, PM me first! Maybe you could use my referral link and put me closer to getting that for free also
smile.gif

Hey, I'm interested put me up too

Yeah...a pyramid makes more sense to me, but the other forum I linked to called it a Conga...so I stuck with it ;)

But right now this is what we have.

Scott: 1/8 http://www.FreeFlatScreens.com/default.aspx?referer=7688191
Endparenthesis: 0/8 http://www.FreeFlatScreens.com/default.aspx?referer=7692311

Now this board is pretty active, so hopefully we’ll get more people to sign up! But again, here is the basic idea. Each new signup will use the top link in the list. That way whoever can earn those referrals. Once the top link has successfully earned their 8 referrals, the link is removed and the person below moves to the top. We basically work our way down the list.

And of course I’d highly encourage sending this link to any friends that would be interested, offering the same to other message boards you’re active, etc. Getting a referral from a friend is a lot faster then this system. So pass it along to people whom might be interested, but don’t go spamming! That’s not the intent at all with something like this. If you do get some referrals outside of this thread though, make sure you post/PM me so I can update your count.

Peter, did you go register with the site?

If you did, Log In to you account and click on the "Refer Friends" link. At the bottom of the page which loads, there is your referral link. PM me or post that, and I'll add it to the big list of names.

Oh, and let me know if you used my referral link or endparenthesis link so I can update our tallies accordingly.
smile.gif

How can they afford to do this???

JA

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hamata @ Aug. 04 2004,3:09)]How can they afford to do this???

JA
Have you ever been an AOL member, hamata? Remember those CDs you'd get in the mail, with a big sticker, saying "Refer a friend and get $20 dollars" ?

Well, thats how. Each time one of us signs up, they're getting about 20 dollars at a minimum. Probably more from some of the credit card companies. So once you figure that yourself and 8 other people are signing up for a TV set, thats a minimum of $160 dollars. I'd seen 27 inch TVs for lower then that during heavy sales.

But the bottom line is they're making some sort of profit, and frankly, most people may not get the 8 referrals. It can be difficult to get 8 friends to sign up for a deal like this. Some users will get 2 or 3 and never complete the deal, so thats maybe $60 in pure profit, with no cost of a TV.

I dont know about you guys, but I surely intend to get a TV out of them
smile.gif

Plus they're selling our email addresses to spammers. Don't use your main email if you sign-up.

You know what's funny... if you sign up for AOL, you can change your email to your new AOL email before you verify your account with the TV people. All the spam ends up there and goes away forever if you decide to leave after the free trial.

Oh, and I also came across this in the forum you listed:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"For the skeptics in the group, I've already done my homework on the company behind this. I pulled Gratis Internet's Dun and Bradstreet report (their financial ranking report and history which is pretty expensive to get) because it's what my company does, and they've been in business for 4 years. They're in the business of "innovative internet advertising" and this is their latest. They've established about $55,000 of credit with various companies (Dell, etc.) over the course of the last 4 years which has been (this is the important part) being repayed in full, on-time to a maximum 8 days late (VERY good ranking for businesses as the industry standard for advertising companies is 9 days). They have no open or closed suits, liens, or judgements against them, meaning nobody's ever had a reason to sue them or bring them to court over late/missing payments. All-in-all they're ranked positively, and the D&B report is one of the most positive you can get on a company. So they're legit, and this is a bonafide marketing tool."

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ Aug. 04 2004,3:53)]Plus they're selling our email addresses to spammers. Don't use your main email if you sign-up.
Yeah, probably that too. Didnt think of it right away, but I wouldn't be surprised. But like you said, you could use the AOL e-mail and cancel it later, so no spam really
smile.gif

Looks like a big fat scam to me.

No thankee.

I remember my first day of Economics like it was yesterday. (It's been almost 10 years.)

The teacher drilled a mantra into our heads!

"There is no such thing as a free lunch!"

not only are they nabbing your e-mail addies, I wouldn't be suprised if they are tracing your IP address well. My advise, stay away.

Whats the problem of tracing your IP address? I wouldn't be surprised if this message board did that in fact, its a standard feature in most web forums to help track down any hackers/spammers.

And I dont know, I've gotten dozens of free CDs, free mousepads, coupons, samples. I get Rolling Stone free, some IT magazines free...There are a lot of real deals out there for free things. It may be unbelieveable at first cause its counterintuative, we dont understand how these people make any money to do this. But somehow they do, and I for one will gladly accept the free stuff and walk away happy ;)

The problem is, that not everyone in the world is nice, and has to conform the the laws and rules of our land. THere are countries that thrive on internet traffic generated through advertising, spamming, and so on.

For instance, you are aware that if you get a spam message from an american server, and you ask them to remove you from their list, they do. What are your options when the spam originated from a server in bolivia?

Most people don't run firewalls, or any type of spam/ad/spyware blocking software. Your IP address is like your physical address and people who don't have your best interests in mind will take advantage of it... with your ip address, it is only a matter of time before exploits left open by microsoft or whoever made your OS are exploited, and a piece of spyware or adware that you are totally unaware of is installed, without your knowledge or consent on your system

Yes, your IP address is tracked here, but only for the purposes of banning it if you become to rambunxious, the only people that can see it are mods and admins.

Here is a challenge: go to the following site and download the following software, it's freeware if your a home consumer, if you download to a business, you need to purchase it.

go to Adaware Download (Download.com)

I am willing to bet, that after you install, and run the update (to get definitions, just like virus scanners) and scan your computer, your jaw is going to drop at what you find... and I bet you won't even remember clicking yes to install any of it. These jerks will do 'silent' installs of their software onto your system and track your internet usage, design banners and adds just for you, get pop ups and you don't know why? suprise!
smile.gif

Some people say 'big deal' and that is your right, the way I feel about it, I paid for my computer for me to use, not them, I pay for my internet access for me to use, not so they can download my usage statistics accross my lines without my knowledge. This is MY

PRIVATE computer, and they have no right to install software on it without my permission. So I fight them at it every step I get. I operate from behind a firewall (not always enough) and scan my computer every week. When I upgraded from the old verison of adaware recently to the new version, I was stunned to find 127 programs running illegally on my computer. I don't visit anything online except cp sites, reef sites, gaming sites, news, (msnbc and the like) and so on, so it's not limited to the more... uhh... questionable... sites on the internet.

Why should you let someone make big bucks of selling your private info? might as well invite someone to follow you around all day and night.

Hey RamPuppy,

I actually run AdAware and SpyBot on a weekly basis, so my comp is nice and clean ;)

And overall I agree with everything you said. There are lots of companies who place ad-ware, hijackers, pop-up software, etc. on your computer without your permission; it’s a legitimate and serious problem these days.

I’m totally in the same mindset as you are about privacy. I like my life private and don’t want the world knowing my details, yet I still sign up for things like this. But I try to do so wisely, as everyone else should do. I have e-mail accounts designated solely for online registrations like this. That way any future Spam will be directed there, rather then to my “real” e-mail address.

Do I give away my physical mailing address? Sure, but only to the companies that I trust. And I honestly don’t mind if I get a few credit card applications in the mail, or other things like that. I like getting mail ;) And ultimately it can be thrown away, and the good thing about postal mail, it actually costs the person money to send you junk. So they’re losing revenue if you never respond.

But while we’re on the topic of privacy and malware in general, I’d suggest everybody go out and download Mozilla Firefox. It has far fewer security exploits than Internet Explorer and is a much safer browsing platform in general. Similarly, check out BugMeNot.com It’s a site where you can bypass registration for things such as the NYTimes, LATimes.com, etc. That way you don’t have to divulge a ton of personal information just to read a single article.

And for offers like this or anything else, just stick to a good rule of thumb: if you have second thoughts about giving them your personal information, you probably shouldn’t in the first place.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RamPuppy @ Aug. 04 2004,3:56)]I remember my first day of Economics like it was yesterday. (It's been almost 10 years.)

The teacher drilled a mantra into our heads!

"There is no such thing as a free lunch!"

not only are they nabbing your e-mail addies, I wouldn't be suprised if they are tracing your IP address well.  My advise, stay away.
I got the same mantra with my Environmental Science courses. Somebody DOES pay
smile_k_ani_32.gif

If it sounds too good to be true......it probably is.

Also guys, you may want to consider adding Spysweeper to your computer along with Adaware and Spybot. It finds spyware that the other two don't. I usually run those two first, and then Spysweeper, and there are still about 10 or 20 files left.

For anybody who is curious, 2/8 confirmed. Waiting on six more...if anybody out there wants to sign up for eBay and help me out, it would be appreciated
smile.gif

Scott
----------------------
Help me get a free TV! http://www.FreeFlatScreens.com/default.aspx?referer=7688191

I would but my ebay link doesn't work for some reason...

I'm up to 7 but none confirmed yet. That'll be the trick.

Back