What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you grow besides cps?

have any of ou ever tried growing those staghorn ferns? I know they used to sell them here.... I'd like to put a small one in my lowlander chamber....

I grow pretty much anything I can. I have cps and I have a bunch of orchids. I also have three good size flower beds with all types of flowers as well as a herb and vegetable garden. I also have a bunch of fruit trees that never require any work from me. They include bananas, mangos, tangerines, lemons, grapes cocnuts etc. Its prety cool to get some fruit from my labor. hehe
biggrin.gif

I also grow houseplants,flowering plants,vegetables\fruits,and aquatics with emphasis on the aquatics I`m also into arums.

Oh and I enjoy growing citrus (anybody have that trifoliate orange thats hardy to 10 degrees if so I want a cutting! I`d trade a C.paradissii for it when I get out of the hospital if it hasn`t gotten too beet up by neglect)

I grow slipper orchids (Paphiopedilum and Phragmagenium) and the Pleurothallid alliance orchid species such as Dracula, Masdevallia, Pleurothallis, porroglossum, etc.
I also like Aroids such as Amorphophallus. I have recently obtained the A. titanum or "corpse flower/largest flower in the world"-unfortunately it's only 5" high this year! Other aroids like Symplocarpus, Dracunculus, Arisaema, Anthuriums, Alocasia...
plus: some sort of fan palm, Calathea, Nematanthus, Salvia divinorum, Irises and Jasmine. I also just got some white Daturas that I picked from the gardens at my job. The lanscapers thought they were weeds and gonna cut em down but the daturas they had last year set seed and these were what grew this year out of the cracks in the sidewalk and edge of the garden! I love free plants!

I also have a lot of unexpected plants like ferns that just arrived as spores with other things and spontaneously germinated. I got a large unsearched bag of seashells from Haiti and I found a large undamaged woody seed in there so I'm gonna try to germinate it to see what might grow out of it!
smile.gif

Chilis ....
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Maybe it`ll be an extinct flesh eating carnivore that eats cows!(not gonna happen but let me know if it does) That would be cool.

I grow CPs, Christmas cactuses, old, raise my daughter, a few air plants, fat, and an amarillas I rescued from my daughter's tender mercies a few years ago.

lol Steve. Yeah, I grow some of those things you listed too.

I have a staghorn fern. They are pretty easy growers.

And yay for chili peppers! Habaneros and chipotles!

hey PLANTAKISS, does your staghorn fern ever have babies, by the way how does it have babies? maybe I could buy a cutting I'd offer a trade, but I have nothing to trade.....:-/

I have a few orchids, Brassias are my favorite..

Bonsai.
I have a Japanese Hornbeam I have had for 10 years now.
a trident maple forest.
A hawthorne.
about 10 Japanese maple seedlings in the ground undergoing training,
and several Dawn Redwood seedlings in the ground as well.
(metasequoia glyptostrobides) very cool plant..
check out this photo of a Dawn Redwood Bonsai forest my friend Mike made,
these trees are TWO years old!!
sprouted from seed in the spring of 2002!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

http://home.rochester.rr.com/dorofy/bonsai/index.html
4th photo in the slideshow.
I also have several trees from that same 2002 planting..

many many streptocarpus at work.

Scot

I have a couple of orchids (passing interest), various house plants.

I have started to get different varieties of lillies for the garden...I do love lillies.

Also, peppers are fun to grow. Habenero are great! I have currently orange habeneros and scotch bonnets....maybe I'll branch out into other peppers when I have more room.

Did those L.tigrinum arive fine dave?

wow this is awesome.... You guys grow some very innteresting plants....

peppers are fun to grow I used to grow them when I had alot of room in my backyard... But now I'm preparing my soil for growing some "dill's atlantic giant pumpkins" can't wait... living in cali any time of the year is the right "season"
biggrin.gif
cool.gif
blues.gif

Well besides CP's i have various tropical plants in my herp tanks...

Also grow orchids and tropical/subtropical fruit trees... (mango, litchie plum, avocado, date palm, grapefruit, olives, figs, etc...)

My wife has a thing for cacti, and Im starting to see the point about having them finally
smile.gif

/Quensel

I also collect Hen's and Chicks (Sempervivum), garden plants and a huge collectian of weeds....
smile_h_32.gif

mannannan are you from hawaii? .....hehe spam is great I had a spam and rice yesterday for breaky and lunch....

I attempted an orchid once but sadly it died. Other then Cp's my main interest is pond plants as plants I don't have to worry about watering fascinate me as I don't have to take care of them (like Cp's) I have bamboo, water hyacinth, hibiscus, horsetail thrush, cattails, aquatic spearmint, regular spearmint, water lillies, I have been really getting into propagating corkscrew willows for my pond. OUtside of the pond I tend to a tomato/cucumber garden. I have an absolutely gigantic boston fern I got for free that is now one of my favorite plants because it has flourished so well. And then there is my baby a Jade plant. Yeah I know I like easy to grow plants but they thrive and look good at the same time.

Back