Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speaking of bad weather

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its 5 p.m. and we are currently getting rain...not related to Bonnie. They are predicting torrential rains (from Bonnie) to start later into the night. Then a slight break before we get the effects of Charley. Charley is at present a pretty strong hurricane...category 3 or close to it. (They are recycling names...I was in a hurricane Charlie at Nagshead in 1985).

Hurricane Fran hit here fairly hard...I remember hearing the wind during the night...it was frightening. I lost power for 3 days...and I was expecting company! Talk about freaking out! Couldn't clean, lost all the food in the fridge. Major stress.

But none of that came anywhere close to the devastation of hurricane Isabelle and no power for 13 days. The anniversary of Isabelle is coming up in September. I hope ol' Charley won't be a repeat. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

All of you in Charley's path...batten down the hatches and make sure you have batteries, water, radios and stuff like that. I was NOT prepared for Isabelle. NOW I have oil lamps, ice coolers, a battery operated radio and a headlamp which works great for hands-free walking around in the dark. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I have a radio in my room we can use, and I guess I should probably put batteries in it, just in case.. I usually have it plugged in.. it takes six D freakin' batteries.

And we have enough candles to light a concert. We also have flashlights. Retarded flashlights that are too freakin' dim, but they're okay. And we have lots and lots of food to cook on the stove in the case of a power outage (gas stove.. gotta light in with a match in power outs, but hey..).
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is 9:30 AM Friday and I just got back from breakfast on Lauderdale Beach. Winds are SSE at 25 mph with gusts reported to 60, seas 6 to 8' and a high overcast. Tornado warnings are up here until noon.
    We had a big rain band come through at 1:44 AM...I know the time exactly because a lightning bolt hit a tree in my neighbors yard...it is toast...it brought me right out of bed...scary. Not much damage here. My shade screen held...just barely...and all of my plants are safe but slightly waterlogged.
    Key West is getting hammered at this time but Charly's eye is about fifty miles to the West. My God son called from No Name key and he has had minimal damage so far. Rising water has forced a small herd...flock?...covey? of Key deer into his yard and they are happily munching on his hot pepper plants. That would not be acceptable to me. Sounds like the makings of a really great barbecue...preseasoned venison.
    I gotta' go out and wash the salt off my car.
    Good luck to all of you on the West coast and Central FL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its about 11 am here, everything is a nasty grey color and the wind is picking up, although we have a few more hours until the effects get here. Everything is closed around here, schools, the post office, etc.... even the theme parks are shutting down early this afternoon (yes, even Disney World). I feel sorry for the people in Tampa. They're predicting up to 120mph winds in the downtown area. Hey FlytrapGurl, they said on the news everyone from the Gulf Coast side of the state is heading your way on I-4 trying to stay ahead of the storm. Glad to hear everything is pretty much ok Lauderdale.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12