What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speaking of bad weather

Don't plan your vacation to Florida for the next couple days. We're currently sandwiched between Tropical Storm Bonnie and Hurricane Charley. The local forcast is for sustained 50 mph winds and 10-15 inches of rain between tonight and tomorrow night. But at least its not snow! I guess after work I'll make sure the plants are secure and hope the flooding isn't too bad. By the way, right now its sunny and about 90 degrees.

Get out the rain collecting buckets! You won't have to buy water for a while.

Well if current weather here in Atlanta is anything to judge by you will get inundated. Bonnie doesn't hit till 12-3pm and we have had constant rain here all night. It filled the baby pool on my deck which was bone dry!!

ACK! NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Looks like they're both headed for VA/NC. Bonnie will likely just be a rain event, but Charley (which I'm constantly tempted to call Clyde) good mess up my move0in fairly well
smile_h_32.gif

I was planning a vacation durning Labor Day weekend but not sure if my budget will allow me.
smile_h_32.gif

In 97 (I think) I was living in NC. We had two hurricanes within a month, one was also named Bonnie, the other was Fran. Fran was a major hurricane, that's a night I'll never forget.
In 99 we had one tropical storm and two hurricanes. The biggest was Floyd. Floyd was worse than Fran. I think it was the second worse natural disaster in US history. One hurricane is bad but when you have back to back hurricanes it's terrible. Even though these are not strong storms as far as hurricanes are concerned, but the fact that they are moving in the same path within 24 hrs this can become a bad disaster. The first one will come in and drop alot of rain, soften up the ground, the second will come in with the wind and cause alot of trees to be blown down because of the ground was soften up by the first one. The flooding can be very bad with the second storm because of the rain dropped by the first. Both of these storms will pass over my hometown. If you are in the path of these storms please be careful and not underestimate the danger that they can bring. Don't be fooled by the fact that these are class one storms.

Actually, Charley's a class 2.

We're in Central Florida.. Charley's definitely gonna hit here. We've been watching the weather channel alot. My grandparents went out to stock up on food and stuff just in case we're out of power or water for an extended period of time. We're not expecting to have to evacuate, but it could happen, as the news has now suggested possible 110 mph wind in some areas. I don't look forward to hurricanes, but I'm one of those people who get some sort of slight hint of excitement from stuff like this, so I was actually kind of disappointed to hear that we won't be getting the center of the storm O_O Okay, enough of my wretched mind..

My mom said that she might be coming over here to stay with us tomorrow if the storm hits as hard as they think it will.

pond boy, Floyd was that bad? Because I remember it.. I remember that is was almost twice the size of the state, and we boarded up the house and evacuated.. but when we got up near the pandhandle, which is half the state away from Titusville, we were trying to sleep in a store parking lot (which was so impossible it wasn't even funny) and we heard on the radio that our part of the storm weakened and was only harboring maybe 40-60 mph winds, which is nothing for a hurricane, so we drove.. all... the way... back... and we got home about 1 AM. The wind was massive and the rain hurt your skin it blew so hard, but we got into the house and went to bed. I'm not even going to get into the mysterious booming noise I heard that night, which to this day has not been explained. Anyhoo, is wasn't too bad for us.. a tree branch off the cherry tree by the house and wholllllle lotta sticks and leves laying around (looked like genuine springtime autumn chaos!). Irene did more damage. Broke off two branches.

Schloaty, it rained SO bad the past couple of days, and I had my rain-catching doohinkey (gallon jug with the top 3rd cut off.. SOMEBODY SEND ME A BUCKET! PLEASE!!), and got almost four inches of rain, and then I caught a bunch more during the short, fast, windy, rainy outburst earlier today. Don't know how much... gotta go get it.. hmm.. anyhoo, it's been raining every day for a really long time, and really hard, too, which means the ground is massively saturated, therefore the rain and wind from Charley might fall some oak trees, since they have very shallow roots, plus the ground is like wet sponge now. *sigh* And we have two big oaks in the back. Anyhoo, gotta put my babies in the garage.. might wanna slip the cover over the greenhouse too....

EDIT: By the way, yesterday I went with my grandparents to go gas up the car last night at around 7 or so, when it was really getting black out with clouds, but not raining yet.. only THE most bizarre thunder I've ever heard in my entire life, honestly. We had only gone about 20 seconds down the road and guess what we saw immediately southwest of us. A genuine tornado funnel forming itself downwards rapidly from the genuine tornado clouds. Heck, we get tornado clouds and sightings almost every day this time of year, but this is the first time I'd ever actually seen one right in front of me. It was going east, which was good news, since our house was north of it, up the road, and there's very little chance a tornado would last long enough to reach where the house was before disappating. Anyhoo, that scared the crap out of me. We turned around and went back to the house. Today they went out again, while I stayed home, and when they came back, they said it must've touched down shortly after we saw it form, and about at the same place, because just ahead of where we turned around, in a heavily "treed" area with a few houses, even closer to the Interstate than we are, there was a whole lotta knocked-down trees and junk. The houses weren't hit, though. My grandfather said he saw on the news last night that some dude that was there at the time of the tornado had a camera and he filmed it and the news played it.

Well, there's an adrenaline rush to last a week. Next time I see a tornado, I gotta drink a can of Red Bull.. *clears throat*..

Red Bull gives you wiiings.

Its 5 p.m. and we are currently getting rain...not related to Bonnie. They are predicting torrential rains (from Bonnie) to start later into the night. Then a slight break before we get the effects of Charley. Charley is at present a pretty strong hurricane...category 3 or close to it. (They are recycling names...I was in a hurricane Charlie at Nagshead in 1985).

Hurricane Fran hit here fairly hard...I remember hearing the wind during the night...it was frightening. I lost power for 3 days...and I was expecting company! Talk about freaking out! Couldn't clean, lost all the food in the fridge. Major stress.

But none of that came anywhere close to the devastation of hurricane Isabelle and no power for 13 days. The anniversary of Isabelle is coming up in September. I hope ol' Charley won't be a repeat.
confused.gif

All of you in Charley's path...batten down the hatches and make sure you have batteries, water, radios and stuff like that. I was NOT prepared for Isabelle. NOW I have oil lamps, ice coolers, a battery operated radio and a headlamp which works great for hands-free walking around in the dark.
smile.gif

Yeah, I have a radio in my room we can use, and I guess I should probably put batteries in it, just in case.. I usually have it plugged in.. it takes six D freakin' batteries.

And we have enough candles to light a concert. We also have flashlights. Retarded flashlights that are too freakin' dim, but they're okay. And we have lots and lots of food to cook on the stove in the case of a power outage (gas stove.. gotta light in with a match in power outs, but hey..).

It is 9:30 AM Friday and I just got back from breakfast on Lauderdale Beach.  Winds are SSE at 25 mph with gusts reported to 60, seas 6 to 8' and a high overcast.  Tornado warnings are up here until noon.
We had a big rain band come through at 1:44 AM...I know the time exactly because a lightning bolt hit a tree in my neighbors yard...it is toast...it brought me right out of bed...scary.  Not much damage here.  My shade screen held...just barely...and all of my plants are safe but slightly waterlogged.
Key West is getting hammered at this time but Charly's eye is about fifty miles to the West.  My God son called from No Name key and he has had minimal damage so far.  Rising water has forced a small herd...flock?...covey? of Key deer into his yard and they are happily munching on his hot pepper plants.  That would not be acceptable to me.  Sounds like the makings of a really great barbecue...preseasoned venison.
I gotta' go out and wash the salt off my car.
Good luck to all of you on the West coast and Central FL.

Its about 11 am here, everything is a nasty grey color and the wind is picking up, although we have a few more hours until the effects get here. Everything is closed around here, schools, the post office, etc.... even the theme parks are shutting down early this afternoon (yes, even Disney World). I feel sorry for the people in Tampa. They're predicting up to 120mph winds in the downtown area. Hey FlytrapGurl, they said on the news everyone from the Gulf Coast side of the state is heading your way on I-4 trying to stay ahead of the storm. Glad to hear everything is pretty much ok Lauderdale.

Back