What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this sand ok?

Hey my mom got me this sand for my plants and it's called Western Desert sand. It says "Decorative Moisture Retainer For Plants" on the front. It looks just like regular old sand to me. What do you think? Is it alright to use with my CPs?

Also, how do I wash the sand? I tried using a coffee filters but it got kinda messy. Got any methods that I can use?

Depends... is the sand pure white or a little on the pink side?
If it looks like pepperish or brownish the most likely no.
Also, test the sand in Vinegar and if it doesn't bubble then it is good.

Nope no bubbles ^_^. What would that have meant if it did bubble? What makes it bubble? The sand is white. It has a few black specs here and there but it looks pretty nice. I guess that's why it's decorative sand. Now I just wish that the stupid bag resealed >.<

I rinse my sand in a bucket using tap water until the water runs clear, then follow with a final good rinse with rain water.

The fizz indicates the presence of carbonate minerals in the sand. White sand with no fizz sounds good to go.

How do you clean it? Just put it in a bucket with water, swish it around a little then dump out the water?

Yep, you have got it.

You got it. I rinse until the water looks like I wouldn't be afraid to drink it.

Back