Growlist
    I'm back?

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jaje61 @ Aug. 14 2004,8:14)]But usually they aren't a serious danger to inland Florida like this one was to Orlando and other areas in its path.
    There are two reasons that Charlie was stronger inland than other storms. One, Charlie was a fast moving storm. Fast moving storms holds their strength farther inland. The second and biggest reason was that it was such a strong storm to begin with. Anytime a hurricane hits land it starts weakening, because it is cut off from it's fuel supply, warm water. Charlie went from a cat4 to a cat3 by the time it reached Orlando and to a cat1 by the time it left Fla. Crossing Fla did weak this storm alot. It didn't loose the amount of steam if it hit the east coast and then had to climb uphill toward the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]what really bothers me is that they kept advising everyone in Tampa and St. Petersburgh to come to the Orlando area for safety and ended up sending almost 500,000 people into the storm. I know the path is unpredictable but that ended up being downright dangerous.
    Where else could they have sent them? It may have put people in the path of the storm but it protected them from a hurricanes biggest killer, the storm surge. I think I heard that 2/3 of all hurricane deaths are from drowning. During Hurricane Hugo they predicted the eye to hit some where just below Wilmington NC, So alot of people left for Charlotte. Hugo Hit Charleston SC and went inland 300 miles and hit Charlotte pretty hard. This happens with most hurricanes. When Floyd skirted the coast of Fla, they evacuated the east coast of Fla. It cost 1 million dollars for every mile they evacuated. I think we're a long way away from being able to predict these storms with 100% accuracy.

I hope that all the people of Fla comes though this ok. I still have friends there I haven't heard from since the storm.
    Good luck to you all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    other then really messing up the smooth ride conditions and routes for aircraft for us air traffic controllers around raleigh, charley was nothing but a pain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Are you saying the unpredictability (is that even a word? - you know what I mean) of the hurricanes is only a minor annoyance for the airlines? I would think that such a major disturbance in the air would really mess things up.
    Restore our biosphere, create a new culture of kindness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How big was it (don't they have something like a scale rating)...heard about it on msn yesterday, apparently they had shot it live. A hurricane would probably do more than blow planes off course...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it was very annoying to hear the same thing from the pilots over and over again. 'light turbulence center'. it gets old after about thirty aircraft check in with it. Their dispatch knew about charley, wouldn't that sort of thing be expected, aka foul weather? It just proved to be an annoyance when there are other more important things to take care of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyobe know how Clyde Bramblett did thru this? He was hit hard by Andrew and lost his wife just a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers,

Joe

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I remember right Clyde is in the Miami area. The Miami area wasn't really affected by the storm.
    It's sad to hear about his wife. It must be a hard time for him.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast