Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane charley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, I hope everyone who was in the path of this bad boy is well.

Being that I am in New Orleans I watch hurricanes very closely, regardless of where they are heading. This one in particular is very eye opening. I have family in Ft. Meyers. For 2 days EVERY expert said this storm was heading north to Tampa. Ft. Meyers was supposed to get some rain, high winds, maybe a little storm surge but nothing too serious.

Well, Ft. Meyers had 2 hours warning. Thats right boys and girls, 2 hours warning from all accounts I am hearing, before they got pretty much a direct hit. That scares the heck out of me. That is almost the equivilant of the forecasters saying its going to hit Houston then N.O. getting a 2 hour notice of impact.

To top it off, this is probably the worst case scenario. After bulldozing over half of Florida, it jumps into the atlantic, re-streagnthens and now its going to pound the East cost.

If your reading this, and you get nothing else out of this post, please head this warning. If a big storm like this is even relativly close to you and your family. Please, get out. Head in-land, go to a hotel a few hundred miles north at least, go visit family, anything. Just get out of its way.

On a side note, I will be gone for a week, maybe more. We have teamed up with 3 of our suppliers and we are (as in the roofing company my family owns) heading to Florida as soon as it settles down a bit. A lot of people and a lot of business in the area are without a roof, and the main roofing mat. supplier in Florida was flooded. So there are basically short of mat. and there just arn't enough skilled hands in the area to temp everything in.

P.S. Is it a bad thing that I am kind of excited that I get to lead a convoy? I get to lead a group of 12 18 wheelers and 5 crew trucks all the way to central Florida.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got grazed... a little rain, 30mph winds, some plant damage.
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Southeastern PA is poised to be in its path as of tonight. I've moved my outside plants to be under shrubbery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hurricanes are sort of scary, here in new york we always get the leftover stuff, winds around 50mph gusts get way past that sometimes though. i remember the last one that came through it took a part of the roof of the building next to me and it slammed into my window. they seem to come here after they are done messing up the lower states and the carribean.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my sis is in palm bay/melborne [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] she says its fine luckily
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm watching the olympics, and on the bottom of the screen it just said that there is a tropical storm warning in effect for the new york tri-state area, and a flood watch. Here comes another one [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Upstate NY here- sunny & warm this morning with not even showers predicted for the next week. Looks like it's headed right for Schloaty, though. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    Restore our biosphere, create a new culture of kindness.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like Fla was hit hard. I've been through alot of hurricanes and tropical storms. I've been in three that were the size of and bigger than Charlie. I know what it's like to be in the middle of the destruction. It's no fun and really scary. Most people think that once the storm is over the danger is gone. That can't be farther from the truth. I was almost killed in the aftermath of hurricane Fran. These people are still in danger. They have no electricity, water and in some cases food. The struggle for survival is not over for them. In the major storms I've been in the week after is worse than the storm itself.

This storm also hit the Carolinas. It made landfall in Calabash NC, about 15 miles south of my family in Holden Beach. I'm away from home right now and I watched the storm approach my family on the Internet. It was really hard to just sit here and watch the radar as this storm made a direct hit on my family. I would have rather been there instead 700 miles away. I talked to my Mom after the storm left the area and she told me that everybody was ok, but my Grandma's house does have damage. We still don't know how bad it is. I know we are very lucky compared to the people in Fla. About 24 hrs before Charlie hit here, what was left of TS bonnie went through our area and killed 3 people just a few miles north. It's been a bad weekend for North Carolina but it's nothing compared to the horror Fla saw. Keep these people in your thoughts, it's not over for them yet.
    To make things worse, two more TS's are in the Atlantic and appears to be headed the same way.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast