Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plant dormancy outside

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx, Mr. (Wild) Bill! That set up looks pretty east to duplicate and inexpensive. Aside from the obvious Sarrs and VFT's, what else is in there? Could ya put D. rotundifolia, darlingtonia, pigmy sundews and non- Brunswick County & Cuba - D. intermedia in there?

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bring my plants into my unheated garage when the weather hits freezing.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimscott -

Yes there are a few Darlingtonias in there (far left white pot is one). The Darlingtonias did really well and shot up some nice pitchers in the month following dormancy and one even flowered! Some of the pots have Drosera intermedia and D. rotundifolia volunteers - they'll likely come back from seed if the plants themselves don't survive. Last year I lost my D. filiformis traci - it came through the buried dormancy OK, but we had a sudden very cold, very wet period of weather about a week or two after I removed things & it rotted. I brought all the D. binatas, D. capensis, some seedling Sarracenia, a few small VFTs, and the Neps indoors for the winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sank my window box-bog into the ground (so that the soil level of the bog was even with the actual soil level), and covered the whole thing with 3" or so of wood chips. Yes, just three inches. They were "experiment" plants for my first attempted outdoor dormancy last winter. Worked out just fine. Only lost two plants, and one I think my have been toast even before dormancy began.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice set up. I just noticed you used entire lengths of pine boughs. I sat with a scissors and cut all of my white pine needles down to 1" lengths. Guess I didn't need to do that. Thanks for all of the photos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez Bill, two garbage bags full of pine needles! How long did that take to collect? Lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably not as long as it took me to plop my rear on the ground with a scissors cutting all the nice pine needles into lengths I thought were perfect. Next year I will do what Bill did and use entire pine boughs. This is one of those times where I shake my head at my own actions and think, "Why'd I do that?" Glad I found this forum and very pleased when people take the time to post photos.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12