What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vacation chronicles

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
On Saturday we embarked on a vacation to New York State. My wife is from Western New York and I am from Long Island. We met and married in Buffalo.

I took off work from my Saturday job at Home Depot. I needn't have. It took all day to do laundry, pack, and run errands. I just got back from my last run of errands with my oldest son, in time for the rest of the family to have gotten the mini-van loaded. So I we all got in and I attempted to start the car. The battery is dead. Dome lights were on too long. Had to call AAA.

By 10:30 pm we finally got going. My wife and I took turns driving and there were numerous bathroom breaks. We finally pulled into the Homewood Suites in Syracuse at 4 am. - exhausted. We fully intended to attend a Vineyard church service but didn't make it. The hotel had a pc for guests to use, so I did. Can't stay away from TF for too long.

We had to drop our oldest son off at Beaver Camp in the middle of nowhere, near the thriving metropolis of Lowville, NY. I suggested that while we were up in this area maybe we can make a quick stop in the Watertown & Oswego area. That didn't fly. Also, it would have been gauche.

After dropping my oldest son off at camp, we began another exhausting drive toward Buffalo, to another Homewood Suites. We got in at 9:30 pm and had our favorite supper and beverage - pizza & wings and Loganberry. Just HAD to have wings and Loganberry!

Found another room with 2 pc's. Just HAD to check out the forums. Had to almost cajole a couple kids into vacating the pc's! Don't kids watch TV anymore?

More later.

I have frequently found vacations to be amongst some of the most stressful and difficult times I have ever experienced, unless they involved the Grateful Dead. Always remember the law of the 5 P's: "Proper Planning Prevents ---- Poor Performance". I never do. Last time we camped I forgot the sleeping bag. Sorry you missed Oswego, but maybe another time. I am not much fun currently with the bum back anyways.

I wouldn't mind being exhausted by a vacation.
confused.gif

I hope you have a good time.
smile.gif

It does sound a little bit stressful. But hopefully that will turn around for you. What all do you have properly planned for the rest of the vacation?
smile.gif

It feels good to get a decent night's sleep and NOT drive for hours on end with bored kids.

My wife spent several hours on her laptop, trying to determine what we can do for the next couple few days. She got hold of one of her buds and we got invited over for a barbecue. The next thing I knew I was carting my pastry - chef - to - be daughter to a Dollar General store and a grocery store for apple pie materials. $23 and 74 cents later.... as I look at all these pies selling for $3.99. What was wrong with...? She had less that 2 hours to prepare and bake this pie. She had one brother peeling apples while she worked on the dreaded pie crust. He cut himself. Then I was roped into it. I sliced a piece of a finger. Then she finished the job, also slicing herself. In the interest of time, I suggested we just bring the pie over and bake it there while wwe got caught up on the past 5 years and and ate other things. It was a fun time, as we slowly got re-acquainted.

Among the things my wife found to do is going to a fair. Can't remember if it is the State Fair or Erie County Fair. It's the one with a free Beatles exhibit. I DO need to pay more attention! Selective ADD only results in those conversation starters: "But I TOLD you..."

I suggested visiting a bog - but was overruled. Why?

Spent that better part of the day visiting three sets of friends. Couldn't get hold of a few others. Today we go to the Erie County Fair.

To follow up on this post, on Wenesday, we spent 7 hours at the Erie County Fair. The warmth and walking around was draining.

On Thursday we visited my wife's mom and visiting sister w/family.

Friday was a travel day, going from Buffalo to Syracuse and picking up our oldest son from Beaver Camp.

Today we head back to Reading, PA.

Hope you had a good trip Scott.
I'm sure it will be good to get back home, and check on your plants of course.

Hope you had fun,most of the time you need a vacation after the vacation.
biggrin.gif

Jerry

Sounds like an eventfull vacation, It would have been nice to get to the vinyard service (I know alot of their music) but, sometime you just got to go into you're nightly dormancy
biggrin.gif
Funny I've often found myself looking forward to getting back to work so I can rest after a vacation
smile_m_32.gif
Well if you're ever in the Lone star state I promise free BBQ and pies, but you'll have to bring you're own loganberry. I haven't seen that down here. Have some ice cold shiner bock though.

Justin & Jerry: Thanx guys! I neede this Sunday just to chill and reorganize my plants. Can't wait to get back to work, too. AS long as my Mercury instrument doesn't give me headaches, I should be rejuvenated.

Had one xcasualty while I was away - my S. purpurea died, All else looks good. Still waiting for my U. alpina to send something gren above the media. All other Utrics are spreading and recent lt acquired D. intermedia (Carolina Giant) is blooming.

Back