What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Careful of what you eat

Chilli pepers, mmmmmmmm.
smile.gif
When we have them, I usually have 10 when I get the jar out, mum goes mad, she says I eat too much chilli peppers.
smile_n_32.gif

Dino
cool.gif

i had a few painful experiances with peppers. i love to eat them, but on one of my first tries, it waskinda....hellish.

ok, heres what happened. i was eating pickled peppers, the looked like the ones you find in packages at the stores, exept these where pretty hot. i started eating some, and they sure where tasty; packed with flavor. they where also hot, so i just chewed them a few times before swallowing. well, lets say they where a little too de-lish, and i just kept eating ending in a flameing mouth.

and the worst part was yet to come. i ate like 20-30, my stomach felt like a concocting acid bowl burning like mad. it kinda got sick, and rejected all the pepers i ate, turning into diareah
smile_n_32.gif

so when i had to go to the washroom to empty my liquid waste comeing out of whats supposed to be a solid waste dump area, it got real bad. if you ever had diareah, you know that burning acid feeling you get at the hole? imagine that along with partially digested peppers gushing out of it at a rate unregestered by science. i literally had flames comeing out of my rear end! i had to run around the house a few times screaming strange words as it tore apart my a**.

so the moral is, too much of a good thing can tear apart your a**.
laugh.gif
Zongyi

Way, way, way too much information.

Capslock
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Zongyi_Yang @ Aug. 18 2004,6:08)]i had a few painful experiances with peppers. i love to eat them, but on one of my first tries, it waskinda....hellish.

ok, heres what happened. i was eating pickled peppers, the looked like the ones you find in packages at the stores, exept these where pretty hot. i started eating some, and they sure where tasty; packed with flavor. they where also hot, so i just chewed them a few times before swallowing. well, lets say they where a little too de-lish, and i just kept eating ending in a flameing mouth.

and the worst part was yet to come. i ate like 20-30, my stomach felt like a concocting acid bowl burning like mad. it kinda got sick, and rejected all the pepers i ate, turning into diareah
smile_n_32.gif

so when i had to go to the washroom to empty my liquid waste comeing out of whats supposed to be a solid waste dump area, it got real bad. if you ever had diareah, you know that burning acid feeling you get at the hole? imagine that along with partially digested peppers gushing out of it at a rate unregestered by science. i literally had flames comeing out of my rear end! i had to run around the house a few times screaming strange words as it tore apart my a**.

so the moral is, too much of a good thing can tear apart your a**.
laugh.gif
Zongyi
That's it you win.

Good stuff to put in someone's beer other than sneezing powder.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Like Capslock said...make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after slicing or handling hot peppers. You will be in deep doo-doo if you touch your eye or your...privates...with pepper juice still on your hands.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Oh ROFLMAO!!! Oh let me wipe the tears from my eyes...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Ahhh, so thats the reason why mexican food is so spicy...I have not tried thease lil devils b4, but would like to sometime. Now that you all me warned me on all the dangers I think I'll just take a trip to Mexico...
cool.gif

Jason
smile.gif

Oh god I just read Zongyi's post... how many crazy ppl here have turned themselves mad with peppers? Nice story though both of you, we could have a competitio here. I would say that Zongyi sounds...more...graphic?
smile_n_32.gif

I was going to make a "moisten and dab" reference in my post (if you've been there, you know), but left it out, seems Zongyi has set the bar about 2 feet higher
cool.gif

ALLOSAURZ,  To dry them properly you must cut them in half to let the moisture escape.  My toaster oven has a "dehydrate" feature and it takes about ten hours to dry a load of forty.

PAK, Come on down.  I'll make some of my Hungarian Goulash...cocktails on the beach at 5:00...dinner is served at 7:00.
You are right about the chipotles.  Very smoky tasting and they add a lot of flavor.  I use a small amount in my calimari scampi and it definitely brings something extra to the dish.

Dyflam, Nice looking plants.  I have heard about those Chocolate Habs.  They do have a reputation for being a "bit" spicy.  You got a small plant you want to trade for some CPs?  I got a one year old  D.binata var dichotoma
with stems a foot long and forks about six inches that I would be willing to part with.
What are the little peppers in the backround?
I have heard about the Datils also and always wanted to try some.  If I send you a SASE, will you send me a couple?  

Hey, i know you people have been there and done that
smile_n_32.gif
. i would of discribed more of the spashing of molten poo, but theres children on the forum
laugh.gif
. lets just say i havn't had too many experiances with peppers after that.

oh, and that moral also goes with anyone that has more cps than me, i suggest useing your rear a few last times before the unavoidable happens
smile_m_32.gif
. Zongyi

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Zongyi_Yang @ Aug. 19 2004,11:58)]Hey, i know you people have been there and done that
smile_n_32.gif
. i would of discribed more of the spashing of molten poo, but theres children on the forum
laugh.gif
. lets just say i havn't had too many experiances with peppers after that.
And Thanks Goodness for the Children! This is an interesting topic to say the least..
smile_l_32.gif

My dad is a pepperhead, and my mom can't handle anything over mild salsa. I guess I'm lucky to be somewhere inbetween. I prefer flavor over heat. I really like Flamin' Hot Cheetos because of that, but let's just say you shouldn't eat an entire big bag of that either. A good recipe that I had at my friend's house (I cried all through dinner but kept eating) was fried calimari Thai-style, with light breading and diced green thai chilis in the batter. Another asian chili was sprinkled on top, but that was powdered and a bright red color.

Ah, I remember my worst, or stupidiest, experience with hot peppers. Well I like hot salsa and I make my own to bottle. It's gooood. To make it properly you must grow your own ingredients and prepare them yourself, of course.

I must point out that at the time of this bout of stupidity I was working 2.5 hours from my new home and (old)family and putting in 14 hour shifts before making the drive home, so the brain was not on full function. I returned home for a couple of days off and then returned to work.

After a long week away I decide I should relax by making the salsa. I went out to the garden and picked 50 peppers or so. I then began to tear them apart with my hands (easier and faster than slicing). I was through 40 or so when I realized that I forgot to put on gloves. The flesh of my hands burned so badly that my hands were covered in ointment and wrapped for three days before they could tolerate the air. They were terrible swollen for the first two days. It was nearly a week before I could write without pain. The morale to this story is get enough sleep before attempting homemade salsa.

Speaking of enough sleep, it was a 19.5 hour shift today. I am going to bed!

Someone mentioned that habs are a 10 on the Scolville heat index which got me thinking that the spray I use on duty is rated in SHI so I took it out of my belt read the bottle and it is rated at 5.3 million SHI thats 530,000 times the strength of the hab. guess I know why the roll around screaming when they get hit with it!!

For the chileheads here...try slicing some hot peppers and putting them in oil. Heat the oil up and let the peppers simmer a bit then remove the peppers. Use this oil to make popcorn (yeah, it means making popcorn the old-fashione way!) and you'll have a really tastey, spicey snack. I believe RAM posted that trick on here somewhere in another pepper thread. A habanero would be good for that if you want some hot oil. Would probably be good for salad dressing as well. One of my favorite dressings is Marie's Jalepeno Ranch.

AHHH PAK! Marie's ANYTHING is yummy! I like their top of the line ones (red label), the one with Roquefort cheese is awesome! I like taking a 3/4 bottle of olive oil, and adding fresh minced garlic, basil, and sometimes peppers. Seal it up, but it in some not-to-hot sunlight for a few days, shaking frequently to get out the bubbles. I think I had an earlier post about that too. Voila, can be used as salad dressing, cooking oil, etc.

On a totally weird tangent, I keep one of those super tiny bottles of Tabasco in my car. Twice now when I've felt like I was going to fall asleep at the wheel, I stuck some drops on my tongue. Wakes you up fast, lol!

I tried the tabasco trick in college when studying for exams. Usually it ended up with me drinking a half a bottle of tabasco sauce and falling asleep at my desk.

hahahahaha. ooh noo the orenge perppers are coming oohhh

smile_m_32.gif

im just teasing you
smile.gif

i wold not try weird things growing in my garden so you wont need to worry about me

Here's a few hot peppers. Caribbean Red Pepper, Chocolate Habanero, Habanero Pepper, Hot Tepin Pepper, and the Jalapeno Chile. How 'bout one of those 3/8 of an inch fireballs. Spicy!!

Oooooh Michelle! You can get Marie's Roquefort dressing??? I haven't had that in years. It was one of my favorites and now I can't find it. I thought they stopped making it I haven't seen it in so long. Oh man that's good stuff.
smile.gif

I'm thinking of adding some chipotles to the Marie's Jalepeno Ranch...spice it up a little more.
smile.gif

Next time you have that roquefort...think of me!
biggrin.gif

OH MAN ZONGYI! THAT WAS SO FUNNY! props to you... adn your um... firehole...

Back