What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peat moss

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Granulated peat moss, is the type of peat moss commonly sold in the USA for use in gardens. It is Sphagnum peat moss, usually from Canada, which has been dried and then ground to a granular powder consistency, before being bagged for sale to gardeners across the country.

In the USA, other grades that are less common are small, coarse chunks and bricks or blocks. Many people here in the USA do not realize that peat moss does not come from the bog in the form of a brown, granular powder.

This is a link to one supplier of this "chunky Canadian peat moss" (they have an image on their page) :
http://www.kkorchid.com/1medium_potting.htm.

I do not regularly use peat moss chunks for CP, instead, I use the commonly available granulated peat moss and insert a layer of pumice like a vertical divider to increase aeration of the root zone.

Hmmm... that is really strange, How would you plant things in it though?

I'd imagine you plant stuff in it like you would an orchid in an orchid mix.

I've never seen granulated peat moss. All that I can find here are the big bricks of Canadian peat that are all chunky and full of sticks, etc. Is this just an Alaska thing?

I bought a large bale from the local nursury, it is full of sticks and so forth which I spend some time picking through. I also noticed has a lot of 'chunks' in it. To improve its quality, I have been putting it through a coffee grinder. I believe this increases the surface area such the peat can really' get wet'. I like this, any opinions from anyone else? Thanks in advance.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]dried and then ground to a granular powder consistency, before being bagged for sale to gardeners across the country.

Wouldnt that destroy sphagnums unique water- retaining cells?

____
That baby bird is in the wrong nest... AGAIN

Depends on how big these 'cells' are. If the size of the granules are larger than these cells, no negative effect. Actually, it should increase the water-retaining ability as more surface area (cells) are exposed. Here's a question: why is peat moss so good at retaining water?

it doesnt

i bought "scotts sphagnum peat moss"

and by golly does it retain water.
so well in fact that i have a hard time keeping the water out.
the roots of my CPs might rot if i cant.

i put it in my terrarium, cause that is what i was told to use.
the stuff is a soft consistency when semi dry, but the moment you add water, it mushes together (so you lose your size, like if you laid it 1 inch thick, it is now 1/2 inch thick),. and it retains water very well.
I took a handful and squeezed it into a ball and got about 1 cup of water out of it.
confused.gif

i found the stuff in homedepot.
Scotts 100% Sphagnum peat moss.
I think if you got it, it would be best for BOGS.
otherwise, you gotta add something else in it for structure/solidity/substance when it is wet.

I can take a picture and post it tonight.

Patch- you are correct about it being so wet... This is why we mix 50% silica sand or perlite in with it. And plants that like to be even less wet we add more or larger items like orchid bark and such.
Andrew

PinguiculaMan, I also use granular peat moss.  Your concept of a vertical divider of pumice is intriguing.  I wonder if you could provide more information about it.  When I imagine it, it’s a vertical layer of pumice, which from a top view forms a diameter of a round pot.  Is that right?  I got more questions.  How large are the pieces of pumice?  How wide is the vertical divider?  How do you create that vertical divider made of pumice in the peat?  Also, how large are the pots?  A photo would be instructive, if it would not be too much trouble.  Thanks for any information you can provide.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Patch @ Oct. 21 2004,8:40)]i found the stuff in homedepot.
Scotts 100% Sphagnum peat moss.
The only stuff I've been able to find at Lowes or Home Depot has plant food added
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Here's a question: why is peat moss so good at retaining water?
because it has tons of emty cells that are just for that.

Our Home Depot sells Nirom brand Canadian peat. Does anybody know how good it is? It is just as Bonnie describes it to be and definitely needs to be washed before using.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ Oct. 21 2004,11:14)]Patch- you are correct about it being so wet...  This is why we mix 50% silica sand or perlite in with it.  And plants that like to be even less wet we add more or larger items like orchid bark and such.
Andrew
HA, thats probably my problem then.

guess i'll go buy some sand then. I have the perlite already.
well, i'll get to mixing then.
smile_m_32.gif

Back