User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: All you people are so lucky........

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dino, Peter is right. I don't know if there is an issue with your mom, but if it is a $$$ issue then like he said save your plant money and be self sufficient of your hobby. Its only really your hobby if you support it.

Joe

BTW, I am 24yrs old with a full time job with good pay and my chamber includes a rubbermaid tub. You gotta make the best of the extra money you got, cause sometimes its not in abundance.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starman, just some advice from my experience when I first started growing these guys- losen up a bit with the plant growing, nothing has to be exactly picture perfect, or exactly how like the book states. As long as your plants are growing well, why should you care? A Gracilis grown on a windsill is a easy task, since most heated/cooled homes maitain a intermediate growing rang which suites most of the easier speicies. Heck, most plants out there that are considered what to be hard aren't all that tricky, as long as you hit most of the major points. Like N. Lowii and Bicalatera which was once thought to be "expert" plants are now grown by lots of people in pretty adverse conditions. Mine Bical is growing in close to intermediate conditions with humidity levels dropping down to 50's at times when I am too lazy to check up on them and is still pitchering fine. The main thing is that your plant is accustomized to your house, which depending on conditions could take forever or just a few days depending on where your plant was recieved from before hand. Like this grower who grows all his nepenthes outside in california, I recieved several pretty rare cuttings from him, and since they were grown outside they were already accustomed to harsh conditions making their transition very easy to mine.
    Where as if I was to buy them from a greenhouse with perfect conditions, I probably wouldn't have as fast of growth for a LONG time.
    So just relax, experiment, work with what you have, and ask questions. There is no such thing as a dumb question.
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dino,
    I had to wait til I was past 30 before getting a greenhouse. Now that I have my own house, I can put greenhouses up as and when I can afford to. If you work hard at your studies, get a decent job, find a house with a suitable garden and then you will be there..
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont have a greenhouse
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    amen! my mom has been great about it.
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh and also i realize that i am lucky even though i have to take on a job to be able to keep it, its actually a sunroom
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, its pretty amusing when its hard to get them to let you spend 20 or so bucks on something....then next thing you know they have just tossed 100 dollars plus at a few more high tech fans. I use a ten gallon tank as a "growchamber" but it only has 1 pot with something in it(N. ventrata).

I think the ventrata may soon be big enough to go outside, but i'm not sure. My Dad doubts it will ever grow large...lol

I consider myself lucky to be able to keep A: keep pets in the first place B: Keep a large planted aquarium with lights in the living room C: Have pretty much total(besides financial-gotta depend on odd jobs for that) control of my little hobbies(no one is telling me what to do/put in a tank or what not to do)
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starman, luck has very little to do with it. My greenhouse is seasonal and very cheap. I am saving my money, bidding my time, and working extra hours so that I can have a nice, permanent greenhouse when I retire. I have several terrariums, two growchambers and a large grow shelf (+ the take down greenhouse). The terrariums were purchased cheaply at garage sales, I built the chambers and the shelf. The cost was very minimal, it had to be.

Not luck, hard work and patience. Most of us that have chambers and greenhouses are adults and have worked many years to enjoy the small things we have. The young adults that have these things may have gotten them from their parents, but many have chosen to work hard to earn their own. They have turned away from normal youthful past times and decided to enjoy this hobby instead. Many youths and adults can not put much money into this hobby and patiently build on what they have. Those that have large greenhouses or greenhouse businesses have thrown themselves into this. They work very hard and pay-in a lot (money and sweat).

Where we are lucky, including you, is the countries in which we were born and raised. You are on a computer, talking to people across the world, so you are doing fine. You are not in a third world country striving to survive. Patience is truly a virtue. Relax and try not to envy. By the time you are my age I expect you to have more cool stuff then I can imagine. Things will come to you.

I was born in an over-sized low income family (politically correct [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]), you grow out of it. Work, save money and watch for give aways. Two of my largest terrariums came as a give away. You will make it.

The lowlands can wait awhile. Start elsewhere and build.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast