What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All you people are so lucky........

• Thread starter Starman
  • Start date
You ppl are all so lucky. Esspecially some kids e.g kirkcoastalcarnivores, JustLikeApill. You mums and dads can affors greehouses and terrariums, mine cant.
smile_h_32.gif
So please dont take it for granted, kids and adults, you dont realise how lucky you all are.
Dino
cool.gif

I don't have a greenhouse........

Be that as it may, we are not as lucky as you may think. Despite I own my own greenhouse it costs money, time and trail and error to get the plants to grow well. I have 2 rare Heliamphora in Jeopardy of death right now.

you live in the UK, you can grow darlingtonia outside and i can't
smile_h_32.gif
greenhouses are nice but they are alot of upkeep and expensive to run year-round. you can grow lots of stuff year round outside starman, and you'd be surprised at what you can keep in a tiny 20 gallon terrarium! i don't have a greenhouse, all i have is the frame. i have to cover it in greenhouse plastic this winter and then it will only be a cold-frame to grow temperates in year-round.

How can I grow a Darlingtonia outside?
confused.gif
PeterDamato says that they need Medeterranian like climates. Or is this yet another error in his book?
confused.gif

I cant even get a greenhouse, never mind get it to have the right conditions.
Dino
cool.gif

If you pay the bills on the GH and labor the upkeep then it is not likely you will take it for granted.

Joe

Medeterranian like climates??? Medeterranian are really hot, really sunny, and really dry.

PLB, mediteranean climates are warm days, cool nights, wet winters and dry summers. California, for example, is an example.

And yes, Dino, I am lucky and realize it. So are you, just think, you could have been born into a nomadic tribe in a desert with no internet, no cps, and a struggle to survive day to day.

There will always be people with more than you, but many more with less.

Capslock

ooh well said Capslock! i love that line, can i quote you in my signature?

Of course JLAP!
Capslock
biggrin.gif

as homer taught bart, no matter how hard you try, there will always be someone better than you. so the moral is... don't try (kidding)
laugh.gif
Zongyi

There are very few species that you can't grow outside provided your humidity is 40%. If you can grow Dionaea outside you can grow some 80% of the CP out there. With only 49% avaiable sun here in Oswego, there really isn't a lot to be gained from a greenhouse, other than to keep the critters away, and I grow everything outdoors in the summer months with very nice results. I have to tinker around with some species to provide the right habitat but it works.

You don't need green houses,
smile.gif
Just use plastic bags.

I don't have a greenhouse, or a terrium... But I got a pool
cool.gif

Ive got a lakehouse with plenty of live fresh spagnum...

The closest thing I have to a greenhouse is a growchamber I built out of pvc pipe, plastic crates, and clear vinyl. Not very asthetically pleasing(not that I care or anything....it's a wonder I didn't use duct tape on it heh heh), but it was relatively cheap and it works.
smile.gif

Although my plants were banished from the main lab, because the DEP deemed them as being potential contaminants, I still have permission to use the old building. The DI water was a bonus. Back at home I have the front area for the lion's share of them and a screened in porch for transitioning seedlings and new arrivals to the front. Still trying to get that streamlet / raging river to be useful, for other than washing soil media.

Duct tape is man's best friend - Along with crazy glue, WD 40 and, and coat hangers. You shoulda seen what I used to hold a toilet together...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Grim @ Aug. 19 2004,8:57)]I don't have a greenhouse, or a terrium... But I got a pool
cool.gif
I...am...getting...ideas...
smile_m_32.gif

CaptainDosera, if you use plastic bags, won't that be quite a lot of plastic bags?

Question: Which is more hazardous, a plastic crate greenhouse, or a toilet bowl when falling apart?
smile_l_32.gif

Jason

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Grim @ Aug. 19 2004,7:57)]I don't have a greenhouse, or a terrium... But I got a pool
cool.gif
Party at Grims....AHHH...POOOOL

Back