Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting terrariums from scratch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am new to the terrarium scene, but i have been thinking about building one for a while. here is my general idea for the structure. i think that i am going to fabricate a frame made out of wood, datoed to accomadate the plexi glass i am going to use. once that is done i am going to silicon the plexi to the wood. that is really the general idea, except for the roof which will be the same construction with a hinge on the outside. does anyone have some suggestions for a place to start. i am sorry to be so mundane but it is all so new to me. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ranchero

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd treat the wood with something to make it water proof/ rot resistant. i've never treated wood before so i really don't know what i'm talking about in that area lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, not a bad idea. i will look into shelacing it or something else. because i am new, should i create anytype of drainage holes on the bottom? i was under the impression that this wasnt necessary, but unsure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    huh? why would you need to do that? i'm assuming your plants will be in pots, and then the pots will be placed in saucers.

if your going for garden-style, i'd pick something like plastic and not wood. i'd be afraid the wood would eventually rot or leak, even if it was treated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was thinking garden style. you think that the wood would rot even under a coat of shelac and maybe even some poly vynl acetate. the problem with plastic is working with it and getting it cut down etc. any solutions to this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it might rot, it might not.

if your going to do it garden style, buy an aquarium. that way if it leaks you'll have a refund and theres a small change that it will. it'll be easier to buy one that to make one.

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would rot unless it is cedar or the pressure treated. If you really like the idea of using wood, the way to go is using marine seal made for boats or marine paint. Otherwise if it will be just a shell not supporting weight (like hanging pots) then PVC tube is a cheap easy way to construct a frame and the plexi can easily be caulked and then a screw run through the corner to seal it down.

BTW, there is a terrarium forum on here which is where a Mod will likely put it.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try looking for some ideas in the Greenhouses, Terrariums, and Bog Gardens section of these forums (It's right under the General Discussion area). You may find some good help there.
    And welcome to TerraForums!!
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    The opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of the management. And the management will be happy to hear that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast