What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, im current in a selective high school student program at the American Museum of Natural History. This summer i was starting out my program with an introduction to all major aspects of science, which included a trip to Black Rock Forest. I thought it would be cool, it was planned that we were going to scale a mountain and check out the wildlife and insects, but i had no idea there would be CP's there!
There is a pond called Peat Pond (i think it's something like that, don't really remember) I'm not really good at when it comes to CP classification, but i saw D. Intermedia, D, Filliformis, and D. Rotundifolia. I nearly passed out on a tour of the pond, after seeing this i asked the guide if there are any other CP's in this forest, and he said during lunch time he would take me to Tamarak Pond (again not sure if its called that) There there were bladderworts!! everywhere!! I controlled myself with the drosera but i couldn't help myself. I forgot what species he told me this was but it has really small bladders. Could someone make a guess? there were also Pings. I couldn't get to see the nepenthes, i dont know if he was mistaken or not about them being there, i belive him about the sarracenia though. Once before the Arthur Reservoir was built, there use to be tons of CP's growing everywhere, the reservoir is huge and peat moss and sphagnum moss grows everywhere. There are remote points of elevation within the reservoir that he said where home to sarracenia and nepenthes, i'll belive it when i see it. I'm already gonna set up another day to go and check out the rest of the Forest. Oh by the way, the mountain was beautiful you get a view of everything around you, but the CP's got my full attencion.. lol
smile_n_32.gif

I don't know if the area is open to the public though, since its privately owned by harvard.
confused.gif

Hmm, I'm a grad student at Harvard, perhaps I could get in? Where is this at anyhow, in New England?

I don't think there would be Nepenthes growing out there considering that the only live in the wild in the tropical south east asia and that harvard is in new england . Other then that , I can only say You Lucky *BEEP* Lol

It's not in England, it's in New York. lol

It's about 3 hours away from NYC. We were given permission to bring the bus in to the center of the forest, but there are no cars allowed past the beggining. we spent just 1 hour getting to the center well worth the wait, all the CP's are in the center of the forest.
smile_n_32.gif

You lucky dog! I woulda killed to be on that expedition - well at least mamed.

hey buddy, you should have taken pics! i'll bring us a cam when i go with you, ill call you while your over in our contry! DR yeahhhh! lol, bring me sand in a jar!

Sarracenia is probably there too. If it is it'll be S.purpurea. It sounds like a great trip maybe we can setup a field trip.

Are you sure there were pings? Their natural range does not extend much past the Carolinas, unless I am mistaken.

We have pings (P. vulgaris) naturally occuring here in central New York state..
the climate here is the same as Massachusets or New England..
very cold winters..
yes, its impossible for Neps to survive there, but drosera, sarracenia purpurea, bladderworts and pings are all possible..

Scot

yeah the pings need really cold winters, he told me that the winters arent as harsh as they used to be so they are retreating farther up north.

Forgot about the temperate specie! I was thinking warm-temperate.

Back