What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fungicides ... could someone offer advise?

Hey guys, I've been searcing for information on Fungicides for the past couple days, I went ahead an bought a copper based fungicide, wich I know read is no good for Cp's, and a sulfer powder... The main use for me right now is to prevent fungus in seed pots... Would captan be a better alternative? Or is there a specific type or brand that you guys use for growing seed.  

I'd appreciate any tips on how much  to use since I really have no clue, the sulfer powder says mix 2 spoon full per 24 gallons of water! I'm not planning on ever makeing 24 gallons of the stuff LOL!

Regarldess I have some seed i'm dieing to get started but am very uneasy about the whole fungus/fungicide deal.. the Drosera seeds I just recenetly sowed have a fine layer of mold or fungus on the whole top of the pot, fortunatly I didnt sow all the seeds in those two pots.

Thanks for any help,

-Juan-Carlos

Any tips would be fantastic guys

-Jc

Juan,
an easier solution is to figre out what is causing the fungus in the first place, and eliminate the favorable conditions..
how are you trying to germinate the seeds?
are they covered?
high humidity?
light level?

I generally try to not to deal with fungicides at all..
nasty toxic stuff it is..
so I cant help you with what brands or types or good or bad, because I dont know!
but its much better to try to keep the fungus from growing in the first place..
that way your seedlings have excellent conditions, no chemicals and no mold..
rather than bad conditions, mold, dying mold, then toxic chemicals on top of it all.. (fungicide)...

let us know what your germanating set up is, and maybe we can elimiate the mold naturally..
if fungus has already attacked the seeds, its probably too late for that batch anyway..

ideally, you should try to germinate seeds outdoors, no cover, full direct sunlight..you will almost never get mold that way..
(covers, and high-hunidity, is way over-rated..I dont think its often that necessary..)
but if you cant grow outdoors for whatever reason, there are other ways!
Scot

Back