What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yogurt cups

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I'm sure I am not original, but the shape of a typical 8 oz plastic cup of yogurt resembles that of a 2.5" cp post. All tou have to do is poke a few holes and - voila - instant cp container.

in the words of a random beer commercial....

BRILLIANT!!

Gerber fruit containers are excellent seedling containers too. They are now small 2 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 2" clear plastic containers, for those of you who have not fed kids recently. I use them for all my seeds as well as tarantula spiderlings.

Joe

tv dinner plates from those microwave meals, the ones that are really wide, are really good seed trays. Zongyi

I haven't actually used them yet, but I have some strawberry containers saved for some seeds to be sown.  Hopefully they will work as well as I hope.

And good idea Jim.
smile.gif

Thax guys! This is great. What other innovative CP adapations out there?

market containers used to store food, those should be deep enough for most cp roots. Sorry I have no idea what you guys are talking about, as I live in signapore where these things are non-existent. Just proves how innovative cp-mad ppl can be...
smile_m_32.gif

I use ziploc sandwich container (stout plastic) with the lid with shredded sphagnum for seed starting. works wonders. they stay under light 24/7 until it is time for transplanting which isn't long. sarr obsessed told me about the lighting. I get some looks from the wife about stealing her containers, but hey, it's in the name of conservation.

I`ve used them for pots too as well as for waterlily seedling pots

Hey guys, I use these black little containers that I get chinese food from on of the restaraunts here... they are black and have a clear top wich is elevated unlike other tuppawares... not cheap looking.. actually looks nice and they are sturdy!

-Juan-Carlos
Miami, Florida
www.jcreef.bravehost.com

I use dog-treat tubs to grow Genlisea (lobata in this case). They're clear so they let in light, and form something of a humid greenhouse for the plant.:

genlisea3.sized.jpg

Capslock

I use the pipette holder containers, seen below, to germinate seeds or cultivate Utrics. Not seen in this unclear picture is the plastic cover. There is an inner container, inverted, that has 100 holes in it to allow for drainage. It fits inside another container, that acts as "open tray". The cover keeps in the humidity for germination. Works well for leaf cuttings and gemmae as well.

101_0172.jpg

Not only did I borrow Pond Boy's cat avatar for a time, I also borrowed his camera. Believe it or not, those are the signature "bunny ears" of U. sandersonii.

wow, you guys are I-N-N-O-V-A-T-I-V-E! Thats what I thinking of doing, also capslock, because of excessive amount of dog biscuit containers that my dog produces.

Jimscott, easy for you to get pipette boxes eh...
smile_m_32.gif

Come'n more ppl, more!

Yup, they are just a throwaway, otherwise. Everything is a tool for me. And I don't buy that phrase, "We've NEVER done it this way before" and it's equally annoying counterpart, "We've ALWAYS done it this way."

Made another interesting discovery today: My wife, who does Children's Ministry at our church, also takes the kids to Chucky Cheese. Well I noticed these ~8 oz containers of their tokens. The bottom has two holes in it. Instant CP pot!

Also, you could fill it with dirt only halfway, and stick it in full sunlight... Built in light screen!

They work great masks for skunks, too

Back