What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New pics

Hi, i am new to this board, I just acquired 6 new plants, 4 sarrs, a vft and a sundew.

I have a S. wrigleyana, S.alata, what appears to be a S.purpura hybrid, what appears to be a S. Leucophylla hybrid, a vft and a sundew.
I live in San Diego, Ca. about 5 miles from the beach, and the relative humidity is hardly ever below 50%. The plants are located on an east facing porch, they get about 4 hrs of direct sunlight a day.
I am trying to figure out the best way to grow them....probably a mini bog. Any suggestions?

I am hoping that I can post my new pics here....

Apparently I cannot git the pics on here even when I uploaded them to http://home.petflytrap.com/users/

What am I doing wrong?

it wont let me see them
EDIT:eek:h sorry, maybe you should upload them to a photo hosting website,i always use hdpixel.com

lets try this...

sarr1.JPG

another

sarr3.JPG

and another

sarr4.JPG

another

sundew.JPG

and lastly....

vft.JPG

Very nice! I realy like that S.x wrigleyana:)

Welcome to the boards!!!

I love the pics!! What specie is that Venus Flytrap? Is it a Green Dragon? Im asking because I noticed how red the inside of the traps were (course that could be from sunlight too, I guess)...

Nice assortment of plants. I think I see a 'Cobra Nest' amongst the plants.

I think growing in pots is the way to go, it gives you more control.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What specie is that Venus Flytrap? Is it a Green Dragon? Im asking because I noticed how red the inside of the traps were

I believe the vft is a green dragon. the inside of the traps are very red and the outside of the traps and the rest of the leaves also have red in them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think I see a 'Cobra Nest' amongst the plants.

I think you're right. It does look more like a cobra's nest. I originally thought it was a S. purpurea.

The alata was all green when I got it, now the new pitchers that are coming up are a coppery red color on top. Everything looks a lot healthier since I got them.

it looks like a typical, looks Nothing like my Green Dragon at least.

I have a new addition to my plant collection. My 1st. nep!

nep1RS.JPG

I don't know for sure what it is. I got it at walter anderson nursery in San Diego. It was hidden in with a bunch of vft's. I posted some more pics in the nep forums. Chk it out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]P.S. I think that wrigleyana is actually a S. x Scarlett belle

I believe wrigleyana and scarlet belle are the same thing. It is a cross between s. leucophilla x psittacina

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I believe wrigleyana and scarlet belle are the same thing. It is a cross between s. leucophilla x psittacina

Aha! Close, but no bannana. wrigleyana refers to any generic cross of leuco x psit. x 'Scarlet Belle' referrs to one specific varient there of. There are very specific characteristics that the wrigley cross must posses to be a Scarlet Belle.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] There are very specific characteristics that the wrigley cross must posses to be a Scarlet Belle.

What are the specific characteristics? I haven't been able to find any info on it.

S.x 'Scarlet Belle' is a cultivar. From a batch of seedlings, this specific plant was selected for having outstanding features, namely its bright red and white pitchers. This plant went in tissue culture and genetically identical clones are churned out to sell.

Your leucophylla also looks like S.x stevensii to me, a Dutch hybrid probably containing genes from at least leucophylla and rubra.

Back