What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cool-looking red moss

Hello guys!

I went hinking in Mauricie this week-end (North-East region of Quebec, Canada) and took the opportunity to visit a national park near St-Mathieu-du-Lac, a park which has a natural, well maintained bog open for public visits, complete with wodden bridges and all.

Now, while I could observe a LOT of beautiful all-sized Sarracenia Purpureas and some Droseras Rotundifolias =D, I also saw large patches of vivid red moss, it looked sort of like Sphagnum but...red?
Does anyone know what it could be? Everything looked so gorgeous! Deep red Purpureas growing among that red moss!

PS : One of the info board said that Canada held the third of the world's surface of bogs, is this true or just is it just showing off?

Um, there is a species of Spaghnum which is red in colour, with only a little bit green.

There are over 350 species of sphagnum actually.
The red one is certainly beautiful.

But how about this one:
spulch.jpg

smile_k_ani_32.gif

yay, go Canada :p . now if i could just have the chance to actually see a bog
laugh.gif
. Zongyi

If only I could get a piece of it! ^_^

I will get some red sphagnum mailed to me soon. I'm already happy with that. The green sphag was starting to get really boring.
smile.gif

Ah HA! So I was right right, it DID look terribly like shpagnum...
Ohhhh! Must look good in a terrarium...must get some...

Back