What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Visiting outer banks, n.c.

• Thread starter Glenn
  • Start date
I will be taking a much needed vacation next week to the Outer Banks. Does anyone know of some good cp sites to visit?

Either post here or PM me. Thanks in advance.

Glenn

The Outer Banks?? Glenn, grab me an Outer Banks Kingsnake while you are there!!!

there might not be much there after frances comes through

I'm keeping my eye on Frances. Hopefully it won't have too big of an impact that far North.

Glenn

I'm in NC! and I've been to the outter banks almost every year.
anyway... it's not really on the outter banks but about this time of year (actually earlier) I went to carolina beach state park and there I saw some mystery sundews (two individuals of one species) and a BUNCH of wild VFT's (FLOWERING!)
It was HORRIBLY HORRIBLY HORRIBLY hard keeping my hands to myself but I knew it would be horribly horribly horribly wrong (not to mention the fines) to take anything... so I WAS able to keep my hands to myself :p
there's supposed to be more CP's but we got lost (really confusing trails) so we only got to see those two species.
and darn it was HOT!!!! and dry too!!! I didn't see a single strand of sphagnum/peat and they were growing right on the sand! VERY strange!

I'm about to send you a pm Glenn.
Hurricane Frances can do alot of damage that far north. So keep your eye on it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I saw some mystery sundews (two individuals of one species)
One was capilaris and the other was probably intermedia.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I didn't see a single strand of sphagnum/peat and they were growing right on the sand! VERY strange!
Most cp's in NC grow in sand and not spag. moss.

aha! it seems the drosera were D. intermedia!
what's really funny is that I've seen sphag. moss, all moist and nice, in a bunch of places and not a single carnivorous plant in sight. Then I go to the costal area with burning sand and no water and it's full of flowering venus fly traps! ... what a wicked world we live in
smile_n_32.gif

The Outer Banks...my favorite place in the whole world. *sigh* You are lucky. I wish I were going. The sun, the breeze, the surf, the sand, the seagulls....

What area will you be in? I love it all...from Corolla to Ocracoke...

he he he... I went for hang gliding lessons to the outter banks... "same winds the wright brothers flew in, same sands, etc" very cool... but too short!!!
smile_h_32.gif

I've gone every year since I was born. This summer I went parasailing. I've never seen any carnivorous plants there, however. Was the mystery sundew D.rotundifolia. I've heard of an elusive form that grows very far south of it's normal range.

Back