What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hurricanes

Its tommorw!!!!!
*SHRIEK* What now?
Is eevrything floooded?
Dino
cool.gif

The back side is hitting the west coast of Fl. Most of the storm is now in the gulf of Mexico. It's now a tropical storm, but since it's over warm water it will probably become a cat 1 hurricane before it hits the panhandle of Florida. So far there are two deaths in Fl.

This may surprise alot of people but the number one natural killer is flash floods.

whoo it looks like the worst is over for the panhandle

As I said in my recent topic about this, we evacuated to SC for Frances, and we're in SC right now.. My mom rode out the storm at our house, and she said yesterday on the phone that there's no real damage, but ANOTHER section of the fence fell down. Oh well, that's not even ours anyhoo.

And now we have a freakin' Ivan coming towards Florida. Whatevah.

Whew! I'm back at work today after being disconnected from the world for a few days! It started coming through our area about 2:15 am I think it was Saturday night and finally let up a bit Monday. The power was out for a couple of days (yes, it is back on where I live, but a lot here are still without)and the phone was out for about a day. I haven't seen or heard any news from the outside world since Saturday night, because I left my radio at work. Haven't seen any TV news because the cable's still out.

I didn't see any major damage around me, but trees are down all over, big trees, little trees, and telephone poles. Power lines are down all over the place.

Not a single one of my plants and potted trees blew away! Amazingly my car didn't get hit by any falling debris either - I thought for sure we could forget about the cars - those trees, tall pines and some oaks, were whipping (not just swaying!) in all directions. Every once in a while there was a lull, and the neighbors would come out and chat for a few minutes before the next wave hit. It seems like this one was a slowwwww moving hurricane - it lasted forever.

Well, this is getting long and disorganized, so I'll bring it to an end. Sleep was intermittent over the whole weekend, so my thinking is not too clear yet...

Amazing what is going on down south.
smile_h_32.gif
confused.gif
Hope everyone is ok.

I now have electricty and phone, after 48 hours.  Lotsa trees down here but not much structural damage.
I just found out a girlfriend has had no phone or electricity or phone since Friday.  She has two Chihuahuas and six four week old puppies.  I was appalled at the conditions she is trying to survive in and am going to make room for her and the pups.  They are so cute but have been living in total darkness (windows shuttered) and terrible heat.  They deserve better.

boy by the time this is over there will be no trees left in the panhandle

Yay...Jan to the rescue! That's so sweet of you. Its nice when people remember not only the human beings in trouble but the pets too. They suffer as well. I saw one film clip of a horse running down a flooded street. I felt so bad.
smile_h_32.gif

We are expecting the remnants of Frances here tonite/tomorrow morning. I've heard torrential rains expected. Just what we don't need. We've already had more rain off and on for the past 2 days. I hope Frances brings no strong winds or trees will fall here.

And then there is Ivan...but it looks like Ivan is headed another direction. Boy...what this all must be totalling up to...

If anyone has any spare change, I'm sure the Red Cross could use some help.
They are really being taxed with all these severe storms one after the other. We've had FEMA here and they approved disaster relief for the flood victims.

Glad everyone has come through ok.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We are expecting the remnants of Frances here tonite/tomorrow morning. I've heard torrential rains expected. Just what we don't need. We've already had more rain off and on for the past 2 days.

I filled 5 gallon jugs of pure CP-waterin' rainwater from Miss Frances without even trying. (Could've got more, but I only put out one bucket)

Holly crap!!

thats alot of water!!!! lol

our canal in the back yard was emptied ATLEAST 2 feet and by the time it passed over it was ABOVE than where they started emptying it!

Well I just spent the evening watching all the emergency weather reports on TV. The remnants of hurricane Frances just passed through. While the rain wasn't as bad as expected, we caught bands of storms that produced a lot of tornadic weather. There were numerous tornado warnings starting around 3:30 p.m. and ending now at about 8:45 with many sightings and touch-downs. At first Richmond wasn't in the warnings but the we got added. They were announcing a list of areas that were in the track for a tornado and dang if they didn't list my exact area! Thankfully the storms passed over with none here. However tomorrow they will have the count of how many tornados did touch down in the surrounding counties (including the area where Meadowview is located). I've already seen some news footage of the destruction of homes. One house was completely untouched and the house next door reduced to a hole in the ground. Another with the roof torn off...you could see right down into their house. Can you imagine coming home from work to find your house doesn't exist anymore?

So...more storm damage here for people to contend with.
smile_h_32.gif
And now there is ol' Ivan coming...a Cat 4 currently.

You know, its kind of funny.

I live in Las Vegas where measureable rain of any kind is greeted with shock and awe. Also, due to our deep fried dirt, we flood really easy with the smallest amounts of rain. Last year we had one stretch of road totally flooded and people had to be airlifted out of their submerged cars. That same amount of rain likely would've been laughed out in Florida and absorbed by the soil easily. The thought of any kind of hurricane, let alone a tropical storm or even a tropical depression hitting here scares me poopless. Of course, that will never happen, but the thought is still there.

I feel really sorry for any Las Vegans who decided to visit or move to Florida just as this happened, as they likely would've died of heart attacks just from seeing the storm, if not from the storm itself.

Anyways, I wish the best of luck to any of the victims of the hurricanes in Florida, and wish the best of luck with Ivan coming along. Things are looking somewhat positive since it looks like its going to go into the Gulf of Mexico where it'll die down quite a bit and hit Alabama and Mississipi, and only hit the outer coastal part of Florida and best.

I bet insurance companies all over the place are pulling their hair out from this.

No power, no water... can't find a generator.
smile_h_32.gif

I owuldnt want to be int those parts of the U.S.A right now, or maybe I owuld, so I can see what hurricanes are really like.
Dino
cool.gif

I collected 25 gallons of Francis rainwater!
probably enough for the rest of the season..

Looks like you're going to have an opportunity to collect more.

According to the news, Ivan is shifting its course just enough so Florida will take the full brunt of it once it reaches the US.

Hope your shelters or basements are cozy, because it looks like you're in for some more wanton weather destruction. Talk about your poopty luck.
smile_h_32.gif

Couldn't help but jump in here. Frances filled two 55 gallon drums with rainwater. The ro filters haven't been used in a week. We still have no electricity-since Sat. night, and it's Friday!!!
But the plants are fine
smile.gif

Trent

Back