What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hurricanes

Yeah...just what the east coast needs...more rain. Ivan expected here late next week but they are actually having a very hard time predicting his track.

Florida is really getting hammered with the hurricanes. I really feel for you guys down there.
smile_h_32.gif
Also Granada was pretty much wiped out. Severe damage.

We entered a more active hurricane cycle in 1995. That's why so many are coming. The last cycle like this was in the 50's/60's. The people in Florida really have my sympathy. In 1999 I lived in NC when 3 storms hit there in just over a month. Two of the storms were not as strong as the ones that hit Fl. Just remember that it's got to get better.
I bet there's alot of people praying for El Nino to come back.

is the next huricane a cat 4 if so run for youre lives it is coming soon and the news is saying it might be worse than francis

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tree terror @ Sep. 12 2004,11:46)]is the next huricane a cat 4 if so run for youre lives it is coming soon and the news is saying it might be worse than francis
No, its Cat 5!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
The worst and strongest storm/hurricane!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

run for youre lives or stay and loot the shops lol

I heard it had winds upwards of 180+ miles per hour at one point.

Doesn't that kind of wind sink islands or something?
smile_n_32.gif

lol i dont know but i hope everyones fine is it still on corse for florida

We're back home now.. sorry for my LONG abscence.. really, it was for no reason (it only took 14 hours to get back here, even though in the middle of Georgia we had to turn around a drive back to South Carolina for a generator for us and my uncle Scott, and THEN drive South again.. I can't believe we got both of those in the car) other that the fact that I just haven't found the time to get on the computer lately, between homework and my recorded X-Files episodes (which I have to get watched before 10 PM, which is when The King of Queens comes on), and now that football season is back (*runs around in circles hyperly*), there's usually a football game on in my spare time. Yes, people. TV RULES MY LIFE. I HAVE ACCEPTED THAT. DEAL WITH IT.

But I figure I can get in 4 hours of The X-Files today before 10 (got my homework done super-fast) and still be able to get on the computer first. *dances* ...Assuming my VCR actually recorded last night.. this is the first time I've used my OWN VCR to record it, since I just now realized that my grandmother's VCR remote is a Magnavox, meaning it works on my VCR as well (the original remote to mine somehow got water in it AND it's batteries melted a verrry long time ago), which means I can finally program the VCR to record at a certain time, which I can only do with a remote. Alright, now that I've gotten in some off-topic nothingness..

My mom says while Frances went through (she stayed at our hosue the whole time and rode it out while we were gone), the actual SUSTAINED WIND started on Friday and didn't stop until MONDAY. She didn't leave the house from Friday until Monday, except the time she tried to drive to the store for some canned goods, but halfway there, a squall came through again and almost wiped her off the road, so she came back. Anyhoo, no real damage, other them the fact that more fence fell.. and our next-door neighbor (the one who took care of my plants on the trip before this one) Nancy's dogwood trees in the front yard, including the HUGE one in the middle of the yard, are all leaning dangerously far towards the road O_O At least two of them freaking trees, including the big one, are DEFINITELY going to fall if we get any big winds from Ivan. Dang, out two big oaks in the back yard weren't even affected, and neither was the one in the front. *scratches head* But I'm REALLY glad that HUUUGE one that was beside the back porch was cut down a long time ago.. that would've destroyed the porch and maybe part of the house long ago, or at least would've dropped some big-arse branches on us.

While we were driving back, I watched the NFL Kickoff game on my portable TV (@#$% PATRIOTS!!), and towards the end, I really started getting sleepy, and I was falling asleep with my eyes open, which I was not going to let happen, so I drank two Red Bulls. Oh my God.

is the huricane there yet
i mean the new one

Ivan is, yes!!!!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Its currently destoroying Florida and shoiws no sign of stopping itslef at all!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

And there is ANOTHER one behind Ivan now too!
Dino
cool.gif

Actually, Jeanne looks like it's going to be the bigger threat to VA, as it's following a similar track to Gaston/Isabel (Has horrible flashbacks to 2 weeks ago and last year O_O). IVan's suppsed to be coming in now, but right now it's just really cloudy and a bit breezy in Richmond. Roanoke and SW VA is to be hit hard by the remains of Ivan, but thanks to the mountains flooding won't be overly bad. However, the mountains bring up the small issue of landslides...

::Runs off to check Weather.com::

Ivan's remains are here in Richmond...strong breezes, black clouds, tornado watches and one bout of heavy rain. More rain to come they say. Tornado watches are in effect until Sunday. And as Cynic said...then there's Jeanne...

I just had someone out to look at my water heater and boiler. Found out the water in my basement (from the Gaston flooding) must have been closer to 18 inches than a foot.
smile_h_32.gif
So its messed up both of them. The technician said its hard to get parts because so many people are in the same situation...replacing valves, water heaters, boilers and furnaces. Soooo...I guess the cold showers will continue for a while more.
smile_h_32.gif

Ivan isn't really affecting us much at the moment.. but anyhoo, I'm really glad we DO have a generator now, so if this next one changes its path and comes on us, we have a generator. Generators are in enormous demand right now, and there are like, none left in Florida stores. People would rob you for a generator right now, man. *sits on generator* Mine.

When s the next oen going to strike? Its name is Jeanne, right?

Back