What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh crap!

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
Ok folks what has been your most gruesome injury. (Please no posts about suicide attempts, purposefully self-inflicted doesn't count) Bones broken, muscle exposed, etc....Lets hear it!

I have a few, but one would be:
Back when I used to play football, I played a few different positions. Well on this particular day I was lead blocking as halfback and was clearing the way for my runningback. Well someone managed to escape me and I dropped back to receive a pitch and just as I caught the pitch.......CRACK......I was speared in the front right side. Speared into the front of my knee. My knee blew out the back and totally folded reversely of whats natural. My knee cap slid down my leg around to the back of my calf. 16 months of traction rehab and I walk normally again but my knee still goes out on me ocassionally.
If there is enough reponses I will post a few more. I also used to skateboard and snowboard and kickbox.

Joe

I have a couple... when i was little i was jumping around on my bed with some of my cousins. well i dont see it but theres a screw in the wall.. and it was loose, my cousin pushed me really hard and it got rammed into my back. i stood up slightly and it tore downward (imagine sticking your finger in an envelope and sliding it to break the seal) thats exactly what happend, but with my skin. the nail didn't go in too deep, just deep enough to cause a serious long, deep and painful cut. not to mention bloody. 8 stitches and a pissed off mom cause she missed the ending of one of her soap opera's. ::sigh:: and you would think she would worry about me more..

hmm... Lets see...

Cut the tendon on the backside of my knee a few weeks ago, and got a nasty hematoma...

Wasp flew up my pants, was stung "there"
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I was working for an environmental company, doing sampling in Kentucky. It had just rained and I was stepping out of our rental truck. I slipped and landed awkwardly, spraining my knee. It was never the same again. 4 years later, playing volleyball, I landed awkwardly again - respraining it. 4 years later I had 4 more aggravations from minor twists. Two years ago I had 3 more "just look at it funny" aggravations - and then finally - surgery. I had no cartilege to speak of and my ACL was replaced by a patellar tendon. Knock on wood, no more injuries or aggravations. but my volleyball days are over.

i fell off of a wheel-chair ramp and broke my arm REALLY bad. what's even funnier is when i wrecked my bike and flew into the neighbors mail-box, i broke my wrist but not NEARLY as bad as my arm...

haha, i know i'm a wimp lol

I was in costa rica, and I slipped and fell on a reef. I got a little cut on my leg. I put a waterproof bandage on it, and forog tto take it off when we left when I did take it off, I realized that it had gotten infected, and there was a 3 inch wide hole down to the bone. I still dont know how I didn't notice. T
There was also the time a fell down a hilll and somehow cut my thumb in half on the way down. I didnt realize it till about 10 minutes later. It was at night, and I cut all the nerves.

I just about chopped the tip of my finger off this past winter. One night when it was about 10 below, I was having trouble with my garage door because it was so cold. Shari (my wife) wasn’t home and the three kids were in there pajamas playing in the house. I went out to the garage, set up a ladder, unhooked the overhead door and lubed up the chain as it slid back and fort. The chain was still catching on something and going into safety reverse, so I positioned myself right above the motor and found that the chain needed to have some slack taken out of it. I adjusted the tensioner and all was good. As I watched the trolley and chain move back and forth after adjustment, I noticed a piece of the sprocket guard had broken off and was getting caught in the sprocket above the motor. I went to flick it out of the way and the chain grabbed me faster then I would have ever expected. My index finger on my right hand was pulled in between the chain and the drive sprocket. The motor jammed and my finger was stuck exactly half way around the sprocket.

So, I am in the garage, by myself, Shari isn’t home, the kids are in the house, and I am up on a ladder with my finger crushed and stuck. I could see that my finger was in bad shape, but my hands were so cold that I couldn’t feel a thing. Luckily I had the opener in my pocket. I figured when I pushed the button, my finger was going to continue around and come out the other side, or it would reverse and come out the way it went in. I bit my lip and pushed the button.   My finger came out, and I immediately knew I needed to go to the ER, so I called Shari and told here to head home. She was about ten minutes away.

Nathan (my eight year old son) was watching TV, the girls were playing house in their room. My youngest girl (three) had no pants on, only a t-shirt. I told Nathan that I hurt my finger and it was an emergency. He calmly asked if I would like him to call 911. I said no and told him to get a pair of pants and socks on his sister. Shari got home and we drove into Grand Rapids.

The bone in the tip of my finger was crushed and exposed, the tip of my finger was still attached enough to sew back on. I lost the nail, but that  greww back after about 4 monthes. All in all my finger turned out fine, its even starting to get a bit of feeling back.

The way I look at it, I had three “firsts” that Friday night. Fist time I have ever broken a bone. First time I have ever had stitches. First time I have had an IV!

Steve

The only thing that sent me to the hospital was I was grappling and pulled my arm out of socket. It was an odd feeling having my arm on my chest then in its socket.

well lets i was at the skatepark (skateboard park)i was just skateboarding on a 6 foot half pipe as i came down the one time i slammed into my friend at the bottom and some how my skateboard fliped up and was standing straight up. Then after slaming into my friend i landed onto the skateboard standing straight up right into my ribs . after that i couldnt breath at first but was fine 5 minutes later. i had a sprained rib. and had pains for like 8 months.
smile.gif

I was caving in New York when a rock fell on my hand and crushed my pinkie. It got gangrene and needed to be amputated a month later

Well about 3 years back I was at work, tearing down a warehouse. I was removing the expanderbolts in the floor with a sledgehammer, and one flew right up into my eye. Couldnt see anything with it for about a week, and hurt like a female. I got really scared! Now its fine, but occasionally (about once a month) the eye spontaneously shuts down.
Goes back on within the hour heh

/Quensel

I worked as a manager at a local Little King (Sub-sandwich resteraunt) and was slicing ham on an industrial slicer. SLIT....I lost the top 3/4 of my index finger. Well I picked it up and went to the hospital and they stitched it back on and fused everything and I still have it but the ham pan filled with blood and had to be thrown away.

Joe

At a martial arts tournament about 7 or 8 years ago I was up against an aqauintance that was world champion of that federation at the time. I went up for a three point head shot (jumping boot to the head), scored it! I came down on the support leg to find no support. The knee collapsed in and folded sideways. Sadly, I went to see a quake who told me that I just needed to strenthen the leg. This was a ridiculous statement as I could extended and hold 250 pounds at the time. He did a quick scope and said that all that was wrong was that I had no cartilage left (allthat was wrong). He said that he took out the pieces of busted up cartilage. My knee dislocated 16 more times before I could get into a nearby national expert. He told me the cartilage was intact and fine. The problem was that my ACL and MCL were torn out. When he did the surgery he found the the MCL was complete gone - cleaned out. What the first doctor thought was cartilage was the remainder of the MCL and he cleaned it out leaving to beautiful holes and a way for my knee to dislocate continually. He also caused nerve damage and a nerve running down my leg had to be severed so that I would not vomit everytime someone (like my very young children at the time) touched it. Since that time the knee has had four surgeries. The other has had one. Needless to say, no more 3 point head shots.

This was one of the injuries. I play rough. I have had broken fingers, hands, feet, hyperextentions, head injury, yadda yadda. I am now getting older (oh the aches) and thinking "What was I thinking"!

There was also an accident involving a car and my body. That causes most of the aches. But I am still here to complain so all is good in the end.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Needless to say, no more 3 point head shots.
Wussy.
smile_n_32.gif

Ah, sparring.... There was that time I was knocked airborn (yes, I actually left the ground...I think I was on one leg when I got hit) by a spinning rear kick....To the groin.
smile_k_ani_32.gif
I had a cup on, so everything is still intact, but oh, the shock wave! I had a bruise the shape of the mouth of the cup all the way around....

Then there was the sledding accident. All 14 year olds on the forums, when sledding, what's the coolest thing to do? Go off a jump, right? The higher & farther you go, the cooler, right? Yeah.
We made a 3' jump (from which you could get about 5' of air on a good jump). I had a perfect jump! Perfect form, great distance....and I landed perfectly (you know, sitting perfectly straight). The problem was the my tail bone laned on a rock about the size of your fist. It was about 14 months before I could bend to touch my toes again....

One day I noticed a small protuberence off the side of the nail on my finger. A bit of the cuticle of my nail had come loose, and was catching on things. The skin beneath was pink and sore! This horror lasted a few days, but every time I forgot and put my hand in my pocket, it would catch on the material.

One of my least fondest memories:

My Grandfather ,whom reared, me use to pull the neighborhood kid's behind his tractor in a wagon. I was one of the youngest. One day some of my older friends were jumping off and on as we rode down the street. As I went to jump something got caught on the trailer. It spun me and I grabbed the lip of the trailer. My hands stopped listening to me and deathly clutched the edge of the trailer. I got dragged for two blocks on my knees on asphalt. Oh the blood..... I remember my GM putting petro jelly on my kneecaps. And the flies were relentless for a week or so (maybe thats why I love my plants so much........Hmmmmmm...).

I shattered my right elbow this weekend, went to the emerg and got x-rays and they told me it was just a sprain and let me go...
I went to work the next morning anmd when I came home my wife said "the hospital called, they want youto call back"

I called, and was told that my arm was broken after all and I should return to get a cast put on ....

and once, while wearing heavy work socks, the handle on a gallon pot of boiling potatoes broke when I picked it up, spilling boiling water all over my foot... as I rolled anbout in agony I ripped the boiling sock off; all the skin came off with it... that was super painful too.....

PS to my friends here, don't worry if my PMs seem curt for a while, I am right handed and can't use that one much (this post took 15 minutes to type
smile.gif
)

Tamlin--I burst out laughing in my office. Oh. I'm sorry...I shouldn't laugh at someone's misfortune and tragedy.
confused.gif
laugh.gif

Yeeegads I'm sitting here squirming and groaning as I read all these gruesome stories. Ewwwwwwwwww!

In the fourth grade I was playing a jumping game on the ladder monkey bars (teacher nowhere around). I saw myself miss the bar and the next thing I knew I was opening my eyes with a crowd of kids around me. I got up and then saw my arm looked funny. I felt funny. I felt like I was in a dream and my left arm had a strange, large white bump on it at the inside elbow. Every time I tried to straighten my arm out, it would twist all the way around--360 degrees. I thought that rather odd....

I eventually ended up with a freaked out mother in the emergency room having my Girl Scout dress CUT off of me...get this...IN FRONT OF MY MINISTER who just happened to be there when they brought me in. I was pretty spaced out but not enough to not be MORTIFIED that my minister saw me half nekkid.
smile_h_32.gif

Anyway...I went into surgery. My elbow joint had been pulled apart (hence the bone almost through the skin and the odd rotation) and it was fractured up above the joint. I missed a lot of school and had to be isolated for a while (so as not to get jostled). I missed a lot of cool kid things--the fair, popular movies, my best friend's sleepover birthday party. It was a long recovery.

I also ran full force into a wall in a cave and knocked myself flat. Felt like someone had hit me in the face with a baseball bat. I don't recommend doing that...
confused.gif

Back