Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: War on squirrels!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im sure you are aware of the fact that insects do NOT nurse their young, therefore, squirrel does not = large insect.
    \"May you ever walk comfortably in the shadows; neither blinded by the light nor lost in the dark.\"-i have no idea

\"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.\"-Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dislike the human tendency(which I myself suffer from) to label animals like aphids and scale good and bad. Sure, they can do quite a bit of damage, but providing nature is left to its course, nature will correct it. The myriads of parasitic wasps and many other predators are there for a reason. You may consider a praying mantis good until it snatches the beautiful butterfly that was nectaring at a flower-all the circle of life dude. Whenever an animal interferes with are desires we will attempt to exterminate it...without second thought.

I suffer periodically from egrets and herons that come to my pond in attempt to get fish snacks. Obviously, I cannot shoot em unless I want a big fine, so repellent works just fine and so far no fish have been stolen for at least a year(however, providing I could remove a select few, I would be more than happy to open a heron buffet for a few days).

If the squirrels are an invasive species, they are so well established there isn't much you could do about it unless you called Bush administration [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (fyrespryte @ Oct. 06 2004,11:02)]Im sure you are aware of the fact that insects do NOT nurse their young, therefore, squirrel does not = large insect.
    That's not necessarily true. Ants, spiders, scorpions etc all take care and raise their young a bit. If by nurse you mean breast feed then that means you would be excluding birds which many people enjoy mroe then squirrels. The fact is an insect is just as much an animal as a squirrel and should not be exterminated. WHile no creature on this earth is neither good or bad there are creatures whose lives do conflict with ours. There may be different means to prevent them from bothering us. I'm ok with killing them. Just so you know before moving back to college I placed my plants in an area where the squirrels could not reach them. I have also never killed a squirrel in my life as I live in the suburbs and they don't cotton to shooting rifles. But if I were out in the woulds I would have no remorse towards squirrels and I would suffer no guilt from exterminating them. A pest is a pest.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (fyrespryte @ Oct. 06 2004,9:58)]~Correction~ First sentence... mad is supposed to be made
    Hi Fyresprite and welcome to the forums. Looks like you picked a hot and passionate topic. Just so you know, if you would like to correct your spelling, you can click on the "edit" tab and the "submit modified post". I use it all the time, as I transpose letters and "fat-finger" others.

I often refer to my daughter as a squirrel. She's just as cute and gathers all sorts of things into her room - plates, glasses, food, etc... - and then forgets where she puts them. Aromas are our best friend in locating things, weeks later. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The American Burying Beetle nurses its young, and juviniles even adopt a begging posture and begging sounds when a parent enters the nesthole with food.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ] I am superior to the squirrels
    and that gives you the right to kill them? ok, so a superior human has the right to kill you? (don't even try saying that there aren't more superior humans... and no... I'm not talking about race or anything... I'm talking about intelligence and virtues)
    Quote[/b] ]There may be different means to prevent them from bothering us. I'm ok with killing them
    killing them isn't preventing them from anything... you just like killing for the fun of it and because somehow you consider yourself superior to everything and think that gives you the right to kill innocent beings.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]I dislike the human tendency(which I myself suffer from) to label animals like aphids and scale good and bad
    yep. and superior and inferior.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Oct. 07 2004,12:30)]
    Quote[/b] ] I am superior to the squirrels
    and that gives you the right to kill them? ok, so a superior human has the right to kill you? (don't even try saying that there aren't more superior humans... and no... I'm not talking about race or anything... I'm talking about intelligence and virtues)
    Quote[/b] ]There may be different means to prevent them from bothering us. I'm ok with killing them
    killing them isn't preventing them from anything... you just like killing for the fun of it and because somehow you consider yourself superior to everything and think that gives you the right to kill innocent beings.
    Yep I as a human being am superior to a squirrel. Humans are superior. WE are more evolved. There may be people superior to me in intellect and skill but they are humans the same as you and me and thus on about the same playing field. The only way a squirrel could kill someone is through fleas infested with a plague. Other then that I am 110% superior to a squirrel. I could dominate one in a fist fight. To be perfectly honest you are taking this too seriously. Squirrels are pests. Just like rats, mice, many bugs, etc. Am I advocating the extinction of all squirrels? Of course not. That is called an exageration. It still doesn't change the fact that I am superior to squirrels. And there is nothing wrong with killing animals. Hell animals kill other animals all the time for pleasure. Again you must not be a cat/ferret owner...