Likes Likes:  0
Page 33 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: War on squirrels!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    noah, i have must respect for you and your religion, but please stop talking about it in this thread. your god doesn't have anything to do with this, because it's a non-religious conversation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Oct. 11 2004,7:44)]I can't say I agree with all the things they say in that article... but I'll say this:
    I HATE canned hunts! every single person who has ever supported a canned hunt should die a horrible horrible death (and that's not a threat :P... nor was it aimed at anyone here... should post a disclaimer every time I say something?)
    Yeah thats just unfair. And it takes the sport out of it. It`s like going fishing and buying a fish to put on your hook.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Oct. 12 2004,1:33)]
    Quote[/b] ]Sheesh, I have good shot with a bb gun. I nailed a chipmunk off a log 50 feet away without my scope with a BB. BAM right in the ear. It was so dead no way it felt any pain. it just fell off and didnt move. It was sorta funny.
    VERY Punk indeed [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    I like to put myself in the position of the animal, however small or large, if I were to kill it. I don't think just because you killed an animal (including humans) entitles you to the rank of
    "tough shot" (I'm sure many people do, not necessarily on these forums).

Meat is delicious, I agree, as long as I know where it comes from and what it contains. I'd eat free range any day, but the flesh that contains hormones, steroids, anti-biotics, and even cancerous growth (approved by the USDA as safe), and who knows what else, I'd rather stay away from as much as possible. Also it's not necessarily how the animal is killed that sickens me, it's the way they're brought up.

As for hunting goes, as long as one eats the animal or they need to be kept in check I'm fine with. I hope all you hunters with mounted heads have eaten the delicious brain and eyeballs eh! Alot goes to waste otherwise [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] I agree with everything Finch just said.

And as far as a human's position in nature goes, we may be the most [intellectually] advanced creature walking the face of this planet, but that's merely our perspective. We're the only ones wasting food, killing each other off for selfish purposes, humiliate, dishonour the position of being so "intelligent", and carrying our island to hell in a handbasket. Speaking of humans as superior is just plain narcissistic in my opinion. Then again all my university modules preach evolution.

And yes, squirrels need to be controlled, but there are massive differences between wanting to, having to, and needing to. If all three criteria meet, great![img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Sorry for the ranting and off-topicness, I had to let it out. Whew I feel alot better now.
    For every squirrel or whatever I kill, I skin it and take the tail cure the hide or whatever, then use it for fly tying. I also go around asking people for patches of deer hair, some feathers, that kinda stuff, for fly tying.

Oh and yes, for people that think hunting is awful, think of this. After mostly all of the wild predators (wolves, owls, cougars, bears, etc...) being killed awhile ago, hunters are needed to keep populations of whitetail, pronghorn, etc... In check.
    \"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?\"

\"If vegans love animals so much, why do they eat all thier food?\" - Brandonk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on yah PLB Its very good to use every part that you can as wasting is just horrible IMO I mean you get something and throw parts that are useful away? I don`t think so thats just a waste(Boy I think I have a hard time saying things)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Oct. 12 2004,3:43)]
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Oct. 11 2004,7:44)]I can't say I agree with all the things they say in that article... but I'll say this:
    I HATE canned hunts! every single person who has ever supported a canned hunt should die a horrible horrible death (and that's not a threat :P... nor was it aimed at anyone here... should post a disclaimer every time I say something?)
    Yeah thats just unfair. And it takes the sport out of it. It`s like going fishing and buying a fish to put on your hook.
    SOmetimes fish such as shiners are used to cath very large bass. This is thier natural prey.
    \"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?\"

\"If vegans love animals so much, why do they eat all thier food?\" - Brandonk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I meant takeing say a 4# trout putting it on your hook and tossing it out and reeling it in. I know I`ve used shiners as bait before,it is rather cruel when you think of it to use a live fish and hook it behind it`s caudal peduncal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 10 2004,10:39)]first, we wasn't calling us all "idiots and mongrels", second, he's totally right except for the being in a car crash part, third, if the squirrel trashes a plant, then move the plant!! plants grow back, squirrels dont. and for people who hunt, then say they don't kill for fun, that's hypocrasy at it's worst. don't tell me you don't get a smile on your face when you kill a dear, it's not a business you know.

and whoever thinks it's fun to kill squirrels or shoot them with paintball guns is sadistic. would you like it if i killed your dog or cat for fun? hey, it's a pest right?
    I interpret that as they do not like to torture the animals and make them suffer...as in they prefer the animals would have the quickest death possible.

Also, squirrels do grow back...as in migrate and reproduce...which is why attempting to shoot them all would be a time consuming chore. At the very least you will still get that occasional squirrel who may not be harming your plants...but is killed anyway. Or you leave it, it finds a mate, and soon you have a bunch of squirrels and perhaps they come along to play with your plants one day.

I still say trying to protect the plants is a more permanent solution. Another possibility would be to use something they can't climb and have them up on a high platform well away from anything they can jump from and too high for them to jump too. Certainly not very convenient though.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]
    sure, blame everything on instincts.
    many times animals attack humans because they've been starving or are sick or it was a mistake or they've got plastic or something in their intestines.
    Eh? What do you mean? Are you trying to say a deer would attack me because it's hungry? mmmhmm.... Now when a pack of wolfs attack me out of hunger... Why is that? Hmmm let me think.... AH! because they are hunters that's why natural hunters...
    Oh yeah random fact... all mammals can feel pain, fear, dream and pretty much everything we do except think as we do.