What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

War on squirrels!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny...I wasn't aware of the fact that we were talking about rats and mice......or maybe that's just me.

Ok my thread so now we are talking about mice squirrels and rats. The killing of mice and rats are ok but squirrels make me a bad person? Even though they are all pest rodents? Makes a lot of sense to me...

I also wasn't aware that i posted my opinion on the killing of rats and mice....but again that could just be me.

Listen this thread is for people with a hatred of squirrels who view them as worthless rodents etc. My opinion of squirrels isn't going to be changed. IMO the only good squirrel is a dead squirrel and I don't see a problem with that as they are pests. They are on the same level as mealy bugs and scale and all the other pests that plague our cps. When you get scale, mealy bug, other insectoid pests do you not exterminate them with poisonous chemicals? A squirrel is like a giant insect in my views nothing mroe nothing less.

Im sure you are aware of the fact that insects do NOT nurse their young, therefore, squirrel does not = large insect.

I dislike the human tendency(which I myself suffer from) to label animals like aphids and scale good and bad. Sure, they can do quite a bit of damage, but providing nature is left to its course, nature will correct it. The myriads of parasitic wasps and many other predators are there for a reason. You may consider a praying mantis good until it snatches the beautiful butterfly that was nectaring at a flower-all the circle of life dude. Whenever an animal interferes with are desires we will attempt to exterminate it...without second thought.

I suffer periodically from egrets and herons that come to my pond in attempt to get fish snacks. Obviously, I cannot shoot em unless I want a big fine, so repellent works just fine and so far no fish have been stolen for at least a year(however, providing I could remove a select few, I would be more than happy to open a heron buffet for a few days).

If the squirrels are an invasive species, they are so well established there isn't much you could do about it unless you called Bush administration
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fyrespryte @ Oct. 06 2004,11:02)]Im sure you are aware of the fact that insects do NOT nurse their young, therefore, squirrel does not = large insect.
That's not necessarily true. Ants, spiders, scorpions etc all take care and raise their young a bit. If by nurse you mean breast feed then that means you would be excluding birds which many people enjoy mroe then squirrels. The fact is an insect is just as much an animal as a squirrel and should not be exterminated. WHile no creature on this earth is neither good or bad there are creatures whose lives do conflict with ours. There may be different means to prevent them from bothering us. I'm ok with killing them. Just so you know before moving back to college I placed my plants in an area where the squirrels could not reach them. I have also never killed a squirrel in my life as I live in the suburbs and they don't cotton to shooting rifles. But if I were out in the woulds I would have no remorse towards squirrels and I would suffer no guilt from exterminating them. A pest is a pest.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fyrespryte @ Oct. 06 2004,9:58)]~Correction~ First sentence... mad is supposed to be made
Hi Fyresprite and welcome to the forums. Looks like you picked a hot and passionate topic. Just so you know, if you would like to correct your spelling, you can click on the "edit" tab and the "submit modified post". I use it all the time, as I transpose letters and "fat-finger" others.

I often refer to my daughter as a squirrel. She's just as cute and gathers all sorts of things into her room - plates, glasses, food, etc... - and then forgets where she puts them. Aromas are our best friend in locating things, weeks later.
smile.gif
smile_n_32.gif

The American Burying Beetle nurses its young, and juviniles even adopt a begging posture and begging sounds when a parent enters the nesthole with food.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I am superior to the squirrels
and that gives you the right to kill them? ok, so a superior human has the right to kill you? (don't even try saying that there aren't more superior humans... and no... I'm not talking about race or anything... I'm talking about intelligence and virtues)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There may be different means to prevent them from bothering us. I'm ok with killing them
killing them isn't preventing them from anything... you just like killing for the fun of it and because somehow you consider yourself superior to everything and think that gives you the right to kill innocent beings.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I dislike the human tendency(which I myself suffer from) to label animals like aphids and scale good and bad
yep. and superior and inferior.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Oct. 07 2004,12:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I am superior to the squirrels
and that gives you the right to kill them? ok, so a superior human has the right to kill you? (don't even try saying that there aren't more superior humans... and no... I'm not talking about race or anything... I'm talking about intelligence and virtues)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There may be different means to prevent them from bothering us. I'm ok with killing them
killing them isn't preventing them from anything... you just like killing for the fun of it and because somehow you consider yourself superior to everything and think that gives you the right to kill innocent beings.
Yep I as a human being am superior to a squirrel. Humans are superior. WE are more evolved. There may be people superior to me in intellect and skill but they are humans the same as you and me and thus on about the same playing field. The only way a squirrel could kill someone is through fleas infested with a plague. Other then that I am 110% superior to a squirrel. I could dominate one in a fist fight. To be perfectly honest you are taking this too seriously. Squirrels are pests. Just like rats, mice, many bugs, etc. Am I advocating the extinction of all squirrels? Of course not. That is called an exageration. It still doesn't change the fact that I am superior to squirrels. And there is nothing wrong with killing animals. Hell animals kill other animals all the time for pleasure. Again you must not be a cat/ferret owner...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]WE are more evolved
that's wrong... organisms don't strive to be human. it's not the ultimate form of life.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The only way a squirrel could kill someone is through fleas infested with a plague...
I could dominate one in a fist fight
the only way you could fall 100 feet and go unharmed is if you had something to soften the fall....
like it would fight w/ you that way. it could easily and effortlessly outrun you. IT would dominate you EASILY in an agility contest through the woods.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And there is nothing wrong with killing animals
it is if you don't have any reason. It's just like what hitler did.  you could easily buy a squirrel repellent and all your problems would be solved.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hell animals kill other animals all the time for pleasure. Again you must not be a cat/ferret owner...
give me examples. cats play with their food so they can become better hunters in case of a shortage of food.
orcas also play w/ their food so they can become better hunters. I have even seen some in TV that weren't hungry so after they finished playing with the baby seal they put it back on the shore.
and I don't see how you can compare insects with squirrels. squirrels are smarter and all what I had said before.
as for arthropods (spiders and scorpions are arachnids), yes... there are many that care for their young. those giant cockroaches from australia actually take care of their young for 9 months.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am superior to the squirrels. I am higher up on the food chain.
so a tiger is superior than you? a great white shark? malaria microbes? lyme disease? AIDS? they're all higher up than you are in the food chain.
to me, you saying you wish you could kill squirrels IS a serious matter. Especially because you don't have to kill them. You ENJOY killing them when you don't have any reason to.  And I can't say I like the "I'm more evolved and higher in the food chain so I must be superior to everything" attitude.

Jimscott...thanks for the welcome. And Finch....i was referring to nursing in the sense that a mother animal nurses her young with milk not bringing home food.

And ALLOSAURZ......we weren't discussing birds......

You're very welcome, ms. fyrespryte.
Now back to the debate... One thing to take into consideration is that our species is a part of this ecosystem. Whenever we go on a rampage against "bad" critters it comes back to bite us. Look what pesticides have done. Look at what introducing a species to take care of a pest has done. Describing critters as good and bad has been extermely short-sighted. Our species has done an excellent job of getting things out of balance. We were intended to be stewards of nature, not ruthless rulers of it.

and I believe that will be our demise.
pesticides, fertilizers, EVERYTHING we do harms the environment AND us.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]a mother animal nurses her young with milk

This only applys to mammals as only mammals have malmmallry glands and produce milk

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so a tiger is superior than you? a great white shark? malaria microbes? lyme disease? AIDS? they're all higher up than you are in the food chain.

We are the highest one on the food chain. why do you think Tigers and great whites are dying. We are on the top. It's only stuff from the inside, like aids, that hurts us.

[/QUOTE]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It's only stuff from the inside, like aids, that hurts us.
just tell that to those people in india and other places that are eaten by crocs and tigers.
you're only the "top predator" because of guns and other stuff... so it depends how you see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back