What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

War on squirrels!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i happen to know several males in my highschool who shoot anything that comes into the yard, including the occasional cat. They like to say it alot because they know it provokes me. When one threw a dead warbler at me.. .I , ah, sort of lost it and gave him a sucker punch.

I find disturbing that one wants his name to be rememberd in history. He says he wants to cause a nyclear reactor to blow or, for a specific example, blow up the statue of liberty...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 11 2004,7:39)]if the squirrel trashes a plant, then move the plant!! plants grow back, squirrels dont. and for people who hunt, then say they don't kill for fun, that's hypocrasy at it's worst. don't tell me you don't get a smile on your face when you kill a dear, it's not a business you know.
Rediculous accusations. Now did i not say that this needed to be kept a debate and not an argument?! Hunters do not kill for fun dude. They kill to feed their families. Get your facts straight before you go badmouthing us. They smile when they kill a deer because they know that they've gotten enough food to feed their family for months. A father does not like seeing their children go to bed hungry. I totally respect hunters, and as one, i know that your accusatoins against us are rediculous at the very least. Again, get your facts straight.

Now, if a squirrel trashes a plant, I'm going to shoot it. Why? Because that squirrel will do it again and again, and won't stop. I cant afford a 3000 dollar greenhouse, or even a 40 dollar one. Many plants dont grow back, they just die. Squirrels eat bulbs which do not grow back from the vegetation. Flytraps dont grow back when theyre rizhome is eaten. Sarracenia and Drosera and Nepenthes don't grow back when they're ripped out of their pots, mangled, and left in the sun to fry.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Oct. 11 2004,8:00)]i happen to know several males in my highschool who shoot anything that comes into the yard, including the occasional cat. They like to say it alot because they know it provokes me. When one threw a dead warbler at me.. .I , ah, sort of lost it and gave him a sucker punch.

I find disturbing that one wants his name to be rememberd in history. He says he wants to cause a nyclear reactor to blow or, for a specific example, blow up the statue of liberty...
Thats just sick. People like that need to be in jail. People who do stuff like that end up doing it to humans.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 11 2004,7:39)]don't tell me you don't get a smile on your face when you kill a dear
Sorry man, Hunters dont smile when they kill dears... They smile when they kill deers. Get your facts straight man!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

lol, excuse me, but a deer is a dear to me
smile.gif
and thank you for correcting me.

and many hunters kill for sport oh and they have to kill them or else they'll die
smile_h_32.gif
 so get your facts straight. you do not need to kill to keep your family from starving. heck, in the fattest country in america, i think most americans could go to bed hungry
smile.gif

when you make hunters stop MOUNTING DEER's HEADS!!! and braggind about that trophy 8-pointer or whatever it is, then you can tell me they are only happy because they keep their families from "starving"

now then, i do not dislike hunters, i like you don't i? i like my father, but i do not like the act of hunting.

then agian i'm a vegan and an animal rights activist. guess it's just me , oh and PETA, too
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 11 2004,10:22)]lol, excuse me, but a deer is a dear to me
smile.gif

and many hunters kill for sport oh and they have to kill them or else they'll die
smile_h_32.gif
 so get your facts straight. you do not need to kill to keep your family from starving. heck, in the fattest country in america, i think most americans could go to bed hungry
smile.gif

when you make hunters stop MOUNTING DEER's HEADS!!! and braggind about that trophy 8-pointer or whatever it is, then you can tell me they are only happy because they keep their families from "starving"
then you shoulda said "dear deer"
smile.gif

Or else what dies?

Uhm, many families need to kill to keep their families from starving. Not all americans are rich like you and can eat whatever they want whenever they want. Hell, I used to have to live off of macaroni and cheese sometimes! And still I had it better than millions! I actually had something to eat!There is nothing wrong with mounting deer heads, as long as you use the rest of the body. Hunters that hunt for the head to brag and throw away the meat make the rest of us look bad. That is not the point of hunting. Get your facts straight.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ Oct. 11 2004,1:10)]Now, if a squirrel trashes a plant, I'm going to shoot it. Why? Because that squirrel will do it again and again, and won't stop. I cant afford a 3000 dollar greenhouse, or even a 40 dollar one. Many plants dont grow back, they just die. Squirrels eat bulbs which do not grow back from the vegetation. Flytraps dont grow back when theyre rizhome is eaten. Sarracenia and Drosera and Nepenthes don't grow back when they're ripped out of their pots, mangled, and left in the sun to fry.
you can spend ten bucks and get screening or a chicken wire or something, be creative
smile.gif
if you have a screened in deck/porch, use that, or buy repellant.if you shoot one squirrel, there will be more. you can salvage bulbs, leaves, other plant material (that is if you choose not to protect your plants without violance) sarracenia, drosera, and nepenthes can all be replaces by cuttings, i have brought back sarracenia from tiny pieces of rhizome, drosera from cutting. if it's too dead to salvage, get a new one. clones of plants are readily available, but squirrels dont have clones.

Even though I said I wouldn't post in this thread anymore I would just like to make a correction. I never said I killed squirrels for fun. In fact I have never killed any squirrel as previously stated in this thread. The only things I have ever killed are fish(which I ate) bugs, a sparrow when I was 8 and a mouse which was caught in a trap but wasn't dead so I wanted to put it out of its misery. I've only toyed with the idea of killing squirrels. Never said I did it. Doesn't mean I wouldn't though if I was in the woods with a rifle.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 11 2004,10:39)]you can spend ten bucks and get screening or a chicken wire or something, be creative
smile.gif
if you have a screened in deck/porch, use that, or buy repellant.if you shoot one squirrel, there will be more. you can salvage bulbs, leaves, other plant material (that is if you choose not to protect your plants without violance) sarracenia, drosera, and nepenthes can all be replaces by cuttings, i have brought back sarracenia from tiny pieces of rhizome, drosera from cutting. if it's too dead to salvage, get a new one. clones of plants are readily available, but squirrels dont have clones.
One word. Go back and read all my replies. Must i say everyone over again?

The going rate for a roll of chicken wire here is 50 bucks. Sorry, but I refuse to pay

If there are more squirrels, I'll shoot those as well. No you cannot salvage a bulb when its in a squirrels stomache. oh wait, i would have to kill it to rip it out of its belly! and by then it would be chewed up and digested. I have expensive and rare clones of cps. When they are eaten and mangled by a squirrel, believe me, they die. if not its 4 years before I get decent foliage again. Lets say a squirrel eats a bart simpson VFT. I think ill just head over to home depot! plenty of them there!

lol, where there is one plant, you know where to get more right?

ok, i did not realise that chicken wire was more than 10 bucks. either way, you can afford a gun and ammunition, why not "splurge" on some chicken wire or repellant?

as far as rare clones go, propagate propagate propagate! that way you'll have
backups and they wont be as rare anymore
laugh.gif

THen again don't get me wrong I am all for protecting wildlife. I mean there is animal conservation which I am all for and then there is the squirrel protection agency... Next thing you know people will be comparing me to Hitler for setting mousetraps in the winter and buying flyswatters.

Hunters hunt for both food and the sport of it,there is nothing wrong with that as long as they actually eat the meat,I do find it wrong to hunt and then just keep the head and throw away the meat thats just sick:( Also the deer population has gotten to such levels here in Missouri that many car accidents where people actualy die each year happen because of them. It`s gotten to the point where you`re only allowed 1 buck but unlimited does,since the does are the ones that have fawns and if you have less does well you get the idea! They are even talking about sterilizeing deer!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
IMO it is much better to kill a deer then have one kill you:angry:

Oh and BTW I`m not biased in anyway as I`m not a hunter nor is any of my family hunt.

lol, i got a chuckle out of that lol.

use humane traps, and if you must use death traps dont buy sticky paper, that's the least humane trap available. use repelants for fly's, dont give them a reason to come in in warm weather, and if you kill something give it to the cp's, they need love too!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 11 2004,10:48)]lol, where there is one plant, you know where to get more right?

ok, i did not realise that chicken wire was more than 10 bucks. either way, you can afford a gun and ammunition, why not "splurge" on some chicken wire or repellant?

as far as rare clones go, propagate propagate propagate! that way you'll have
backups and they wont be as rare anymore
laugh.gif
Yea, im going to bug bobz or tony paroubek and ask them to give me another nepenthes hamata or a nepenthes jacliquenae(SP?) or a bart simpson VFT when a rodent eats it. It takes YEARS to propagate them.

Sorry, but having a gun is much more important than chicken wire for a squirrel. I use it for protection. Ok, I'll just go sell all my guns and buy squirrel repellent and chicken wire, so that thugs can come in and rob me and kill me because I don't have a gun to protect myself. Sort out your priorities dude!

I would also like to say that killing deer just for the head is wrong. I mean there are a lot of people out there (like me) who would give their right arm for the meat/fur.

by the way, if man didn't kill the predators, man wouldn't have to kill as many deer.

sterilizing deer is a perfect solution. just like they are sterilizing lampreys in the great lake instead of killing them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ALLOSAURZ @ Oct. 11 2004,10:49)]THen again don't  get me wrong I am all for protecting wildlife. I mean there is animal conservation which I am all for and then there is the squirrel protection agency... Next thing you know people will be comparing me to Hitler for setting mousetraps in the winter and buying flyswatters.
Yea its just so wrong to kill flies and let your CPs starve and to set mousetraps instead of setting nepenthes veichii pitchers

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 11 2004,10:55)]by the way, if man didn't kill the predators, man wouldn't have to kill as many deer.

sterilizing deer is a perfect solution. just like they are sterilizing lampreys in the great lake instead of killing them.
You know how many hundreds of millions of dollars that would cost? Forget it...

if you lose one, save up by mowing the neighbors lawn, baby sitting, etc etc and buy new ones. besides, if i had super rare plants like N. jacliquenae (spelling), i'd put it in ideal conditions, not at the hands of a foreign environment for the squirrels to get at.

thats what taxes are for. a little bit from everyone doesn't cost much for each person and the end result is great. that's like if every american sent me a dollar, i'd have over 280 million dollars and it wouldn't hurt anyone. even with the small amount of people who can't afford one dollar, i'd still have a very close amout to 280 mill.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 11 2004,10:57)]if you lose one, save up by mowing the neighbors lawn, baby sitting, etc etc and buy new ones. besides, if i had super rare plants like N. jacliquenae (spelling), i'd put it in ideal conditions, not at the hands of a foreign environment for the squirrels to get at.
Hey, guess what bud? No one in the state of california has a lawn of grass! And guess what? Anyone who puts my trust in their baby is just plain foolish! LOL!
laugh.gif
(sorry couldnt resist
biggrin.gif
)

Well, you get what i mean about the rare plants...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back