What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

War on squirrels!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Oh no, they just ate some ants that went into the trap... this is murder!"- spec. this isn't murder, it's nature. deal with it.

"Vegetarian diets are very expensive. Again, we dont have 10 dollars for each meal we eat." - spec. auctually, it's only about 20 bucks a week, not 30 bucks a day.

"Actually if you hunt correctly they die instantly. They dont hurt at all, not even 1/10th of a second. If you were shot in the head, would you be alive for 5 minutes in agony on the floor before you died? no indeed. Hunting isnt murder. These are ANIMALS we are talking about here... They arent HUMANS. They dont have the same level of AWARENESS as we do." -spec. humans are animals, just the most advanced animals on the planet, and don't tell me they don't have the same awareness as we do, because they can feel pain. if anything, they are more aware (alert) than you are. and unless your a master hunter with perfect aim and knoweldge of squirrel anatomy, don't preach to me.

"But you still in the end have blood on your hands. Is there a difference between a person who contributes to the murder of one person and another who contributes to the murder of ten? No there isn't they are both still murderers. Also meat is delicious. I don't care how wrong it is I am not giving up my delicious ham sandwhiches. "- all. ask any judge if theres a difference between a murderer that has killed 1 and a murderer that has killed many, under the same circumstances. i believe there is a difference. oh, and meat is delicious
smile.gif
but some people say drugs are great too, that doesn't make it right.

travis, there are just some things you have to agree to disagree with
smile.gif

spec, if you have any more questions that i have not answered, please make them in a nice list so i can answer them. this is getting confusing
smile.gif
and don't think i'm avoiding you because i'm not.

Sheesh, I have good shot with a bb gun. I nailed a chipmunk off a log 50 feet away without my scope with a BB. BAM right in the ear. It was so dead no way it felt any pain. it just fell off and didnt move. It was sorta funny.

yeah, killing tree hamsters for no reason is funny:(

asumming it felt no pain, which in this case it was probably dead before it could feel anything, it's still dead.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]when you make hunters stop MOUNTING DEER's HEADS!!!

i dont see anything wrong with that. Not in my taste, and creepy looking at night, but, hey! not my wall

In my veiw the worst hunting is for money (in endangerd animals) or the illegal pet trade.

Other than that, hunters are generally very supportive of conservation measures, and are a important and influental part of the enviormental ... uh ( at a loss for a word)... group?

And as i hear from hunters, its a sport like walking. Walking alot with a gun and hauling the results back.

How ever, if the human population increses mutch further there will be problems. Less animals to go around wuth less habitat to support them and more hunters means small bag limits + Dissatisfied hunters from the strict regulations = more poching

dont see anyone killing humans to lower the overpopulation.

and it's only sportsmanship if the hunter runs around naked with a spear. now days we have high tech telescopes, lasers, etc etc. while we are at it, let's give the deer a spear too.

and that was totally sarcastic to those of you who can't tell the difference.

HOLY COW! I leave for a couple of hours and BAM... this thread suddenly explodes.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They smile when they kill deers. Get your facts straight man!
(cough cough...) you mean DEER? deer is both singular and plural :p get your facts straight man! (LOL)
before I go any further, let me say I'm not against hunting for food. I'd rather you eat an abundant wild animal that has had a free life roaming the wilderness than support breeding animals in little tiny cages under artificial lights and which may never feel grass under their feet... nor have sex! (oh the agony! LOL.... they do that with pigs)
now.... about shooting squirrels....
shooting squirrels will do nothing to prevent them from eating your plants.
about sterilizing them... I say that's more effective than killing them because sterile animals mate with unsterile animals and therefore waste one full mating...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I raise chickens and we free range them(they have free run of the yard and then come to a nice lighted\heated barn for night times to prevent predators from eating them) and they are very inteligent and social creatures. This needs to be stopped it`s just too cruel. Along with goldfish bowls.
yes.... exactly! and like he said, thank you.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] so my hands blood (or whatever they have) free.
yes, they have blood... but it works differently. insect blood only carries nutrients to the cells, not O2. they have a system of spiracles and trachiae etc. to deliver O2 to every single cell in their bodies.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]These are ANIMALS we are talking about here... They arent HUMANS. They dont have the same level of AWARENESS as we do.
I beg to disagree, HUMANS ARE ANIMALS.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Not animals,we were made by God to eat both plant and meat but if you can go by with just plant material fine:) Christ went with just plant material and fish all his life(I think Mary did too) but this wasn`t because eating meat is evil it`s because it`s a sacrafice to give up eating meat
ugh... I beg to disagree with that too... I VERY VERY VERY VERY STRONGLY disagree... but I won't go into that... otherwise this post will NEVER end.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Basically what happens is that people get pissed off at each other because they do not understand their point of view
I THINK I understand.... you just think that god created everything in the universe for the advantage of humans and that humans have the right to do anything with their "property" (I'm not talking about YOU travis... I don't even know you... just to the people that applies... once again)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How ever, if the human population increses mutch further there will be problems
there's already problems.
did I show this link here already?
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20031124/humans.html
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]dont see anyone killing humans to lower the overpopulation.
true... people are pests. they keep coming here and making the govt. pave more roads and clear more land and stuff...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and it's only sportsmanship if the hunter runs around naked with a spear. now days we have high tech telescopes, lasers, etc etc. while we are at it, let's give the deer a spear too.
OH! that's right. nowdays hunters can just go to the top of a tree, rub some pheromones on a tree, and have deer come to THEM... then they just shoot them at will.

and don't forget, not everyone believes in a god and in a issue like this, your religioun is irrelevent in my opinion.

ok ok you guys, it's not pick on clint day lol! deer, deers, you guys know what i mean
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Sheesh, I have good shot with a bb gun. I nailed a chipmunk off a log 50 feet away without my scope with a BB. BAM right in the ear. It was so dead no way it felt any pain. it just fell off and didnt move. It was sorta funny.

VERY Punk indeed
smile_h_32.gif

I like to put myself in the position of the animal, however small or large, if I were to kill it. I don't think just because you killed an animal (including humans) entitles you to the rank of
"tough shot" (I'm sure many people do, not necessarily on these forums).

Meat is delicious, I agree, as long as I know where it comes from and what it contains. I'd eat free range any day, but the flesh that contains hormones, steroids, anti-biotics, and even cancerous growth (approved by the USDA as safe), and who knows what else, I'd rather stay away from as much as possible. Also it's not necessarily how the animal is killed that sickens me, it's the way they're brought up.

As for hunting goes, as long as one eats the animal or they need to be kept in check I'm fine with. I hope all you hunters with mounted heads have eaten the delicious brain and eyeballs eh! Alot goes to waste otherwise
smile_m_32.gif
I agree with everything Finch just said.

And as far as a human's position in nature goes, we may be the most [intellectually] advanced creature walking the face of this planet, but that's merely our perspective. We're the only ones wasting food, killing each other off for selfish purposes, humiliate, dishonour the position of being so "intelligent", and carrying our island to hell in a handbasket. Speaking of humans as superior is just plain narcissistic in my opinion. Then again all my university modules preach evolution.

And yes, squirrels need to be controlled, but there are massive differences between wanting to, having to, and needing to. If all three criteria meet, great!
smile.gif

Sorry for the ranting and off-topicness, I had to let it out. Whew I feel alot better now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]dont see anyone killing humans to lower the overpopulation.

That are what wars are for. -.-

At any rate personally I don't really like hunters a whole lot. But if they eat the meat rather then just leaving the body there it bothers me less. One thing does bother me though. When an animal attacks a person they are usally killed. But when a human kill a dozen people they are thrown in jail. Am I the only one who thinks this is quorky? Why should animals be treated any different from people? At least animals in general don't know any better and kill out of instincts, while humans know what they are doing.

because "animals aren't people" hmph.. absurd, but non-human animals don't pay taxes so maybe that's why
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I like to put myself in the position of the animal, however small or large, if I were to kill it
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And as far as a human's position in nature goes, we may be the most [intellectually] advanced creature walking the face of this planet, but that's merely our perspective. We're the only ones wasting food, killing each other off for selfish purposes, humiliate, dishonour the position of being so "intelligent", and carrying our island to hell in a handbasket. Speaking of humans as superior is just plain narcissistic in my opinion. Then again all my university modules preach evolution.
YES!
and why wouldn't they "preach" evolution?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] One thing does bother me though. When an animal attacks a person they are usally killed. But when a human kill a dozen people they are thrown in jail. Am I the only one who thinks this is quorky?
nope.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]At least animals in general don't know any better and kill out of instincts
sure, blame everything on instincts.
many times animals attack humans because they've been starving or are sick or it was a mistake or they've got plastic or something in their intestines.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and why wouldn't they "preach" evolution?

Maybe it has something to do with taking a joint major of Biological Conservation (formerly known as Ecology), and Physical Geography, with Society & Environment, and Apes to Humans as electives.
When I say preach one particular tutor comes to mind, heheh, and he's so obsessed with evolution. So was I from the time I learned to read.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]many times animals attack humans because they've been starving or are sick or it was a mistake or they've got plastic or something in their intestines.

And in the case of sharks, they just wanted a little nippit to see what a human tastes like (many times due to misleading shapes of surfboards and the likes -- mistakes, like Alpha said)!
smile_n_32.gif

Amori

I love arguing w/ creationists/non-believers about evolution too
biggrin.gif

I've never found anyone that gives good scientific proof for not believing evolution.... and I give them all the proof in the world and they STILL don't believe... go figure!
that's why my signature says:
people ignore facts that are inconvenient to them & believe ideas that are convenient to them.

Yep!!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I love arguing w/ creationists/non-believers about evolution too

Good times, good times... Ah one of the joys of having lived in Grand Rapids, MI.
biggrin.gif

As for talking about how God made us to eat meat, God made the animals to feed us etc. etc. etc., I dont think that should be included in this dicussion. IMO all discussion of religion should be left to strictly religious discussions because some people may be offended by something said or may disagree. As a nature-based forum it is VERY probable that there will be people that follow nature-based religions. Just a little food for thought.

LOL! want to die of laughter? (either that or die of disappointment in humans for being so darn stupid)
http://www.anzwers.org/free/livedragons/evolutio.htm
if you believe something they say, tell me so I can prove it wrong :p (IE. the dead "mystery sea monster" w/ the bony plates and stuff.... it's a sturgeon... they actually get caviar from them. and if I recall correctly, the baluga sturgeon is the fish that makes the world's most expensive caviar!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
)
they FARM sturgeons!
so... you see... please don't believe what those stupid people say... not a word... if you go there, go as an amusement thing :p

Like fyrespryte said, we should tone down quite a bit. I think I'll go to sleep now (1:10am) and not return to this post for a week to see how it .evolves. (come on, from war on squirrels to... what are we talking about again?)
I appreciate your input fyrespryte, I really do. Thanks for your warning!
smile.gif

Cheers,
Amori

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back