What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

War on squirrels!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Oct. 12 2004,7:02)]actually, homo sapiens would be neandarthals or however you spell it we are/were homo sapiens sapiens. a subspecies of neandarthals LOL.... aldough since they're extinct now, I guess we're now only homo sapiens? or are we still homo sapiens sapiens?
I WOULD consider different races as subspecies. after all, a subspecies is:
"groupings or populations within a species that are distinguishable by morphological characteristics or, sometimes, by physiological or behavioural traits. "
I'd say humans are distinguishable by morphological characteristics and physiological and behavioral traits...
but I've never heard of a subspecies of humans so I guess people don't want to create more racism by dividing humans into subspecies.
On the technicality there are no homo sapien subspecies. We were just covering this in my anthropology class today in college. The reason why a lot of anthropologists don't consider black, white, asian people different subspecies is because there are far too many variables that depend on environment, food eaten, temperature etc. What I just said of course is an extremely oversimplified stupified explanation but in order to go into detail I'd probably be spending the next 48 minutes typing. But yes there is only one type of human.

Also I would not like this thread locked as I have been having a good time. I also find it funny that a post of me ranting about squirrels has evolved into a 31 page debate involving squirrels, conservation, hunting, evolution, religion and animal rights. It's crazy when you think about it
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 13 2004,1:06)]quite a contradiction there clint! When I kill animals and eat it, its nature. Deal with it. Don't even think of saying that guns arent natural and thats why its bad. guns come from the earth- spec. no it's not a contradiction. read the context. i'm not placing the insects there so it isn't my problem.

I am. Squirrels dont feel anything when theyre shot... in fact a shot in the torso would kill them instantly too. I know this from experiance, unfortunately... Head shots are best though.- spec. auctually, your not. i don't see you on any tv shows. i guess you wouldn't feel anything if i shot you?

Yes, there is a difference... But squirrels arent humans. Don't preach to me about us being animals and all that evolution stuff, nothing will change my opinion
- spec. ok then, whatever.

and i'm not talking about any evolutionist propaganda. i am trying to keep it civil.

there is no scientific evidence that plants feel pain. they can react to external stimuli however.

Rediculous accusations. Now did i not say that this needed to be kept a debate and not an argument?! Hunters do not kill for fun dude. They kill to feed their families. Get your facts straight before you go badmouthing us. They smile when they kill a deer because they know that they've gotten enough food to feed their family for months. A father does not like seeing their children go to bed hungry. I totally respect hunters, and as one, i know that your accusatoins against us are rediculous at the very least. Again, get your facts straight.- i already answered that.

Now, if a squirrel trashes a plant, I'm going to shoot it. Why? Because that squirrel will do it again and again, and won't stop. I cant afford a 3000 dollar greenhouse, or even a 40 dollar one. Many plants dont grow back, they just die. Squirrels eat bulbs which do not grow back from the vegetation. Flytraps dont grow back when theyre rizhome is eaten. Sarracenia and Drosera and Nepenthes don't grow back when they're ripped out of their pots, mangled, and left in the sun to fry. - i already answered that

Yea its just so wrong to kill flies and let your CPs starve and to set mousetraps instead of setting nepenthes veichii pitchers - no one said cp's must have insects, even i said i use artificial ferts.

Hey, guess what bud? No one in the state of california has a lawn of grass! And guess what? Anyone who puts my trust in their baby is just plain foolish! LOL!  (sorry couldnt resist  )- answered that, i said to to something else then.

Well, you get what i mean about the rare plants...

Taxes are high enough clint. And EVERYONE has to pay taxes reguardless of how much money they have. To them a dollar is a meal. -taxes are good. the well being of the whole community is what counts. and there is wellfare for people who have the "a dollar is a mean" qualifications.

Guess what? I have enough work to do.- not my problem.

Sorry clint but we just arent rich like you and can spend 500 dollars in one day on some humane animal equipment for some squirrel. (as you've said before) , yes, if you add up everything for my terrarum it is worth over 500 dollars, but that doesn't make me "rich" what makes a person "rich" can be interpreted differently.

Yea, im going to bug bobz or tony paroubek and ask them to give me another nepenthes hamata or a nepenthes jacliquenae(SP?) or a bart simpson VFT when a rodent eats it. It takes YEARS to propagate them.- if the price is right...

Sorry, but having a gun is much more important than chicken wire for a squirrel. I use it for protection. Ok, I'll just go sell all my guns and buy squirrel repellent and chicken wire, so that thugs can come in and rob me and kill me because I don't have a gun to protect myself. Sort out your priorities dude!  - and i'm sure you are attacked by thugs everday.
Exactly, you didnt put the squirrels there. Squirrel kills plant, I kill squirrel, not your problem.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Oct. 13 2004,1:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Eh? What do you mean? Are you trying to say a deer would attack me because it's hungry? mmmhmm.... Now when a pack of wolfs attack me out of hunger... Why is that? Hmmm let me think.... AH! because they are hunters that's why natural hunters...
Oh yeah random fact... all mammals can feel pain, fear, dream and pretty much everything we do except think as we do.
instinct is an innate behavior you are born with NOTsomething they need. and there hasn't been a single recorded death from wolves... well, EVER.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Then stop talking your evolutionist "propaganda"!
evolution isn't religion. it's science There's PLENTY of proof. if we're not allowed to talk about science, then what ARE we allowed to talk about? god isn't scientific. Religion isn't scientific (or based on scientific anything).  and that's just the naked truth.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]nothing will change my opinion
that's exactly why you're not a scientist
And nothing would change your opinion about evolution. Evolution is just like religion since it basicly says the rest are wrong and it is right.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 13 2004,4:38)]lol.....

you never know:D

school science textbooks are a load of crap these days...
LOL yea they really are... They've kept information about evolution and fossils that were proved wrong by the same evolutionists that created the ideas for over a century!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
(you read that right, really is a shame how they cant change the text at all... I mean how hard IS it?)

At any rate I'll pull out now, since this has nothing to do with squirrels... It's all about religion and evolution, which always ends up in bickering, whick I dont wanna be a part of.

Clint, look for me on aim
smile_m_32.gif

Alpha it would be eiser tofollow your arguments if you ised the quotes button when quoting

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And nothing would change your opinion about evolution. Evolution is just like religion since it basicly says the rest are wrong and it is right.
sure it would. if you gave me the right reasons. I find no reason why to believe in any religion.
and as you can see, I already changed my mind on evolution... I thought maybe cold blooded reptiles evolved from warm blooded reptiles... but as finch pointed out, that wouldn't make sense... so I admit I'm wrong.
and no, evolution is not a religion. it's a scientific theory. It's been tried to debunk many times by many people and to this day no one has proved that evolution can't happen... and many many people have proven that the principles by which evolution happens DO happen. so no, it is NOTHING like a religion, which is based soley on a book that can never be proven right/wrong.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]LOL yea they really are... They've kept information about evolution and fossils that were proved wrong by the same evolutionists that created the ideas for over a century!
HUH? like what? give me examples.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The reason why a lot of anthropologists don't consider black, white, asian people different subspecies is because there are far too many variables that depend on environment, food eaten, temperature etc.
I don't see blacks/asians/mexicans/etc turning white when they come to the US.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Alpha it would be eiser tofollow your arguments if you ised the quotes button when quoting
how do you do that? can you do it with many people at one time? I don't want to be posting over and over again b/c I like to answer to everyone.

well you are doing it right now...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote  
And nothing would change your opinion about evolution. Evolution is just like religion since it basicly says the rest are wrong and it is right.  

sure it would. if you gave me the right reasons. I find no reason why to believe in any religion.
and as you can see, I already changed my mind on evolution... I thought maybe cold blooded reptiles evolved from warm blooded reptiles... but as finch pointed out, that wouldn't make sense... so I admit I'm wrong.
and no, evolution is not a religion. it's a scientific theory. It's been tried to debunk many times by many people and to this day no one has proved that evolution can't happen... and many many people have proven that the principles by which evolution happens DO happen. so no, it is NOTHING like a religion, which is based soley on a book that can never be proven right/wrong.

u dont hear motherd saying to theri children "thats right now dear, prey to the darwin statue"
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Oct. 12 2004,9:29)]I don't see blacks/asians/mexicans/etc turning white when they come to the US.
Do they turn white white? No but they do get lighter the farther north they go. Obviously if an adult african american or asian american stepped off the boat into America he wouldn't look lighter but see a second or third etc.generation african/asian american. Compare african americans to actual africans and you will see the african americans are usually a lot lighter. Most anthropologists have studied this for many years and have come to the conclusion that there is only one type of human. You can't have different subspecies of humans becuse not every person/group fits neatly into another group. I have probably just butchered everything my professor taught today but that was the general gist of what he said.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]well you are doing it right now...
OH! you meant that? when have I not done that? I thought you meant the
"Quote (TheAlphaWolf @ Oct. 12 2004,9:29)" thing.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You can't have different subspecies of humans becuse not every person/group fits neatly into another group
true... it's never that simple. I

An interesting thing I learned in class today. Based on physical differences only, some scientist believe there are over 500 types of people in Brazil alone. If those were potential subspecies of humans in just Brazil do you know how many different types of people there would be in this world. It's just mindboggling.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]instinct is an innate behavior you are born with NOTsomething they need. and there hasn't been a single recorded death from wolves... well, EVER.

Dude, it was an example I never said they attacked humans in real life... take it easy... Also you missed my point...

BTW I just found this,
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Wolf attacks are common in many parts of Asia.

The government of India reported more than 100 deaths attributable to wolves in one year during the eighties

Get your facts straight before attacking me...

Ok, is it just me, or has the entire forum become a  enviorment hostile to a civil discussion?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Oct. 14 2004,9:38)]Ok, is it just me, or has the entire forum become a  enviorment hostile to a civil discussion?
Yeah...like I said people do not know when to shut up. They need to keep on proving that they are right... Gets old quick.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"there has never been a documented case of a healthy, wild wolf killing a human in North America" - a quote which is still true. Yet, in some rare cases wolves have become fearless of humans and the result has lead to serious injury and in some countries, even death.
http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/intermed/inter_human/dangerous.asp
I meant in north america :p yes, I should have specified, sorry :p
besides, many reported deaths aren't true. people usually blame the animal they BELIEVE is bad.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Wolves have been feared by humans for centuries. This fear, particularly in early Europe, was the reason for such children's stories as Little Red Riding Hood and The Three Little Pigs. There has never been a documented report of a wolf attack on a human in America.
http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/ohc....f.shtml
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There are a handful of wolves in Pakistan, Bhutan and Nepal. Wolves in India numbered 2,700 in the late 1990s, a very surprising figure considering how many humans they have to share their space with. There have been several confirmed wolf attacks on humans in India, probably due to these crowded conditions.
and see? my point was right... you said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Now when a pack of wolfs attack me out of hunger
it's not because of instinct, or hunger. otherwise wolves in other places would attack and kill humans more often.
http://www.kerwoodwolf.com/WOTWCURRISSUE.htm

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nflytrap @ Oct. 09 2004,9:31)]You may be able to construct a "cage" of sorts out of screening or a stronger material if needed. It will take some smarts to keep the squirrels out of it(dunno if they will attempt to gnaw  or dig to get to the plants or not). If you want a clear view at all times, perhaps a pane of plexiglass would be in order.
I appreciate the suggestions, but they're out of the question as well.. first, my plants are shelved in a five-foot-tall, three-foot-wide metal/plastic greenhouse from Lowe's, therefore it would be kind of hard to enclose ALL of them. Second, screen would filter out 50% of the sun's rays (trust me.. I'm planning to devise a small, removable screen "cover", of sorts, to put over my adelae soon to cut down its exposure to the sun), and plexiglass would sure as hell make the sun's rays overheat and fry the plants.

My only option would be to buy a large aquarium, put it in my room, install a UV light and grow all my plants in there, and I DO have the room for that, but I just simply don't have the money for it. I've given up asking my grandparents to pay for anything.. and I usually have a large amount of money saved from allowance and profit from selling some of my art, but all that money is strictly for horseback riding lessons, therefore I would have very little leftover to buy an aquarium AND pay to replace the UV bulbs (SMALL ONES are twenty bucks each) every six months.

Hey Allosaurz,
I don't know if this link has already been posted, because I don't have time to read thru the 300+ posts on this thread, but I think you may find this useful:

http://www.deadsquirrel.com

The Official Homepage of the Squirrel Defamation League...enjoy...

Nile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back