What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

War on squirrels!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am filled with rage from those stupid nut eating rodents. I came home today to a fern I have been babying for about a month. This fern was dug up by those little beady eyed fools. This wasn't the end of it though... No there was far worse in store for me. My Leucophylla's were dug up. My nepenthes which were finally coming out of shock from being shipped were dug up also. And here is the part that truly filled me with rage. My first flytrap was dug up. This was the CP that got me started. IT changed my LIFE. What happened to it? It was dug up and THROWN in the sun. When I discovered it, it was crispy beyong all repair. It turned into dust in my hand! That's it nice time is over. I vow to exterminate this species. I have always been a bit of a conservationist. Every animal had it's place imo. That had now changed. Squirrels must become extinct. They are pure evil. They were spawned from hell to torment those of us who have done nothing wrong. Squirrels must be eradicated. I shall show no mercy on any squirrel who comes into my grasp. I fed them and what do I get? my plants massacred.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Cant really kill grey squirrls in north america legaly... go to Britan, grey squirrls are a introduced invasive species there.

I hear yeah! I hate chipmunks to too! They are fat and happy because I try to feed birds. Why do I live in the city? I would love to have tree rat stew!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Sep. 12 2004,6:39)]Cant really kill grey squirrls in north america legaly... go to Britan, grey squirrls are a introduced invasive species there.
Oh I have ways of eliminating them. I wonder if I can somehow associate them with al qaeda so the militar ywould do the work for me.

Put all of your plants on the table and I think there is some type of squirrel repelent?... Mine are all on my deck so they aren't pests. Though my pet rabbit is! He ate all of my pot full of 16 D. Puchella!

Extinction of squirrels is a horrible evil plan.  How can I help? I have some ideas involving nuts, a one way tunnel and liquid Nitrogen....

smile_n_32.gif

I hate squirrels. They dig up my **** every year and I am fed up with them and their nuts. I'm gonna burry their nuts and the rest of them.
laugh.gif
mad.gif

Joe

I'm sure glad to be out of the U.S. this fall... By the sounds of it it's going to be that typical squirrel-hating season. Though where I live in England has an extremely tiny population of tree-rats, there's another bugger always pecking at the shinier plants -- magpies. No better than squirrels mind you, since they can get really aggressive
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Good luck everyone!!!

Amori

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Sep. 12 2004,8:45)]Extinction of squirrels is a horrible evil plan.  How can I help?  I have some ideas involving nuts, a one way tunnel and liquid Nitrogen....
I personally have the idea of soaking a peanut in poison then tying it to a rope which is tied to the trigger of a gun pointed at the nut. Under neath the nut of course will be about 10 pounds of C-4 attached to a detonator activated my a motion sensor.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ALLOSAURZ @ Sep. 13 2004,7:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Sep. 12 2004,8:45)]Extinction of squirrels is a horrible evil plan.  How can I help?  I have some ideas involving nuts, a one way tunnel and liquid Nitrogen....
I personally have the idea of soaking a peanut in poison then tying it to a rope which is tied to the trigger of a gun pointed at the nut. Under neath the nut of course will be about 10 pounds of C-4 attached to a detonator activated my a motion sensor.
actually, you really can buy poison peanuts online... but unfortunately anything that eats the squirrel also dies
smile_h_32.gif

The problem with killing them is new ones immediately move in to the territory so that wont work. Honestly, the only thing you can do is to build cages to put the plants in out of hardware cloth. This works, and it is the only thing I have found that does. I have a cat that will lie there and watch the squirrels as they dig through my pots, and what the squirrels don't get, the birds do. Next season it will be a screen house for my plants. I have to find a way to keep the wasps from my Sarracenia pitchers as well, so a screenhouse seems like a go.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Sep. 13 2004,7:33)]The problem with killing them is new ones immediately move in to the territory so that wont work.  Honestly, the only thing you can do is to build cages to put the plants in out of hardware cloth.  This works, and it is the only thing I have found that does.  I have a cat that will lie there and watch the squirrels as they dig through my pots, and what the squirrels don't get, the birds do.  Next season it will be a screen house for my plants.  I have to find a way to keep the wasps from my Sarracenia pitchers as well, so a screenhouse seems like a go.
There are squirrel repellants out there...

May as well kill them anyway, squirrel soup is the bomb!
smile_m_32.gif
smile_t_32.gif

Put bamboo poles in some of the pots, and tie silver bright shiny ribbons on them, that keeps the birds out for me.

As for the wasps, gently stuff cotton into the pitchers.

Hmmm, suirrel repelent sounds good, but I have never seen it offered around.

The birds laugh at things like that around here. I tried hanging old CD's that spun in the sun. Didn't work.

Too many pitchers to keep up with the stuffing I'm afraid. I do stuff some of them, but can't keep up with it over the summer.

A nice pellet gun would do wonders. So what if more move in? Shoot them, too. Just make sure you get some squirl recipes first. Don't want to waste all that good meat!

seranity now. SERANITY NOW!!!
blues.gif

I guess this is falling on deaf ears, but I highly advocate bird netting as it has worked for me. It has kept out birds, squirrels, cats , dogs , opposums, and raccoons. Cheaper than screen or hardware cloth, and will stretch tight over a light frame. Attach with a staple gun. Easy!! Allows unrestricted sunlight in on your babies too!.

awww! poor squirrels! since nobody else's standing up to them (like always... I'm always having to defend animals) I will.
gasp! I need to go... you haven't seen the last of me!!
smile_m_32.gif

ehy would you want to keep out birds? I have worked on a survey with those nets, and unless your a expert those things get hoplessly tangled in the fine mesh. I worked for 30 miniuts on a poor Harris's Sparow that was entangled th the web before someone came to help me.

back.
trying to poison squirrels is so evil!
and calling THEM evil is evil too! the way they see it, you put your plants there for them to dig them up :p
I used to have squirrel problems when I was trying to grow peanuts. Every single time I had a little seedling, the squirrel came by and ate it! well, I ran out of peanuts but now I start my seedlings inside a bird cage and I haven't had any problems.
and you COULD use repellant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back