What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 'red' habanero

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
Today i made my annual pepper relish. I call it 'Mundane Relish'
It has the red habanero, jalapeno, chile, thai, pickle, cilantro. It is very good indeed.
I made one major mistake though;
I cut up the habaneros without gloves. My fingers still burn now, after 6 hrs. I have tried everything to kill the burn.........NOTHING!!!!!! I know better too!

PEPPER LOVERS, YOUR HARVEST IS AT HAND.
WHAT WILL YOU DO WITH THEM?

Joe

Hey Joe,
Can you post the recipe? I have several habeneros I was going to dry out and crush, but that relish souds goooooood.

Would rinsing in running hot water help to take off the oils? I'd never be able to eat your relish, but I would love to see the recipe so I could give it to my dad.

Ok here it goes:

2lbs of Jalapeno peppers (about 25-30 peppers)
1 red Habanero
1 yellow Habanero
2 Sarannos
4 Thai chilis (red)
4 uncut dill pickles
* keep pickle juice
2 tspn of salt
3 cups of vinegar
3-4 bundles of Cilantro

Cut the top off all the peppers. Put the peppers into a pot. Add the 3 cups of vinegar and 2 tspn of salt. Top off with water until peppers are submerged. (They usually float). Stir while bringing to a boil. When all the Jalapenos have become a dark olive green then they are done. Put all the peppers into gallon pickle jar with pickle juice (preferrably cold) Allow to sit for a few minutes.
Then put peppers into blender (you may remove seed if you wish, I do not) Blend all peppers and 4 pickles together until a nice texture. In canning jars lay a bundle of Cilantro in the bottom befor adding blended relish. Alow jars to sit for 1 week and then they are ready to eat. (Some people let stand for 1 month) You may also add extra juice to the mix.

Joe

It required burn cream. Careful with the 'Red' Habanero

Holy moley! I hope you wore goggles when stirring that pot! Thanks for the recipe.
smile_n_32.gif

Sweeeeeeeeeet!

Thanks for the recipe! Wowsers...That relish must really have a kick. BAM!

Sounds delicious! You should offer some for trade for plants. lol
smile.gif

Possible if you put your hands in milk/sour cream. Sounds funny but may work.

I tried it, doesn't work. Neither does sugar, or lime juice.

Joe

If you have any kind of leftover peppers, dry them. They will last months and can be crushed up or used whole for soups, or rehydrated for salsa.
My toaster oven has a "dehydrate" feature and it takes 10 to 12 hours to dry about 30.  I split them open first to allow the moisture to escape.
I think you could dry them in any toaster oven by setting the temp to about 125 degrees.

Lauderdale is right! They make a great crushed red pepper for seasoning. It doesn't take much to infuse your food with their flavor.

Speaking of infusing, you can also put chopped peppers in a bottle of olive oil with some other yummy ingredients, like garlic. Just make sure to shake all of the air that may stick to the ingredients. Let sit for a few weeks, or put in a bit of sunlight (be careful it doesn't get hot enough to explode) to speed up the process.

Back