What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update:

Well, this is going to be the WAY short version because I have not slept in 3 days.

So, Charley comes through and tears up florida. Being in a hurricane prone area ourselves we hold a staff meeting and decide that we should help. I get the call to quarterback the expidition and off I go. Lead a convoy of over 55 trucks into Florida.

We got over 220 familys in the dry. BAM, here comes Francis. We haul tail up north and wait it out, once again I lead another 40 trucks back into the area (Was kinda neat, we where in a HUGE convoy of Nat. Guard, Cleco and Entergy. Nothing like being in between to big ole hummers)

So, to date we have gotten countless families in the dry, 2 hospitals, 9 schools , 1 FD and numerous other public buildings.

So, you may be asking yourselves "Casper, what in the world are you doing at home when there is so much work left to be done"? Well... I am friggen boarding up my home in anticipation of Ivan. I will be working through the night to get my home ready, then I will bring my family over to Houston sometime tommorrow afternoon. We will ride it out there, till thursday probably, depending on what Mr. Ivan decides to do.

After that, who knows. I have some serious un-finished business in Florida right now. And its a full time job trying to keep my crews in one place now that a storm threat is upon us.

Its kind of discouraging to me. I am trying my god awfull hardest to do some good and I just can't get it done in time. In the last few weeks I have been robbed at gunpoint, fallen off of 2 roofs and sprained more muscles than I thought I had. Now I have to deal with Ivan....

So.... I guess we take our licks as they are given, and I will be ready to rebuild and help all those in need.

I am truely sorry for my absence but there are many people out there who are greatly in need, and I am trying to do my part.

I pray all of you are safe from this storm.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{PAUL}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

There is some Power that is trying to make you more than human, my friend, something that is filling you and energizing you to bring Light and Healing into this world!  What a wonderful thing!  I am grateful to that Power for raising you up, and I am grateful that there are men like you to prove Its Being.  To say that I am honored to know you is an understatement, but other words fail me.  But the road to perfection is hard, and even God had a sit down.  Remember your body, and give it what it needs so it can continue to do the great work you are doing.  Take a break!  My heart is in my throat for you, and if wishes count for anything, all of mine are for your saftey, strength and healing.  Men like you prove that for all the crap we see in the world, the hate and crime, for all the sorrows that are the lot of many, that there are some still touched by the Fire, who have thrown off the chains of self and ego, and stand radiant in the light of something more, and that try their "god awfull hardest to do some good". On those men, the mud don't EVEN cling!   You are a Hero, Paul Leubbert.  I hope someday you get all that you deserve.  I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and devotions.  Blessed Be, Paul, and please take care!

Yeah, what Tamlin said! Seriously, be safe, and thank you for doing so much for people.

Capslock

I am not a sentimental person but I feel bad for the Florida folks. It is easy to help when it is convenient but when you must forge on just to help another is when it counts. Take care of yourself and your crew.

Best of luck
As always, the friendliest ghost.

Joe

You poor thing...and still thank you for all you have given for this forum. BTW are you still sorting out the aftershock of the auction?

you're a nice ghost, casper, anywhere near melbourne area, oh ya, and make sure to bring the Cps in

I have been thinking about you. I saw where the track of Ivan was headed and I cringed.
smile_h_32.gif
I feel sorry for everyone in the track of that storm.

In 4 days, it will be the anniversary of hurricane Isabelle. She caused 2 BILLION dollars in damage here. Now there is untotalled millions from the severe flooding caused by Gaston...followed by more horrific damage by tornadoes spawned by hurricane Frances' tail end (8 in the state, 4 around here). So...everyone in the Richmond area cringes at the mention of the next hurricane, worrying about more wind and water which we sure don't need!

So...I feel deeply for all the Floridians and the islanders hit by all these hurricanes and I worry for those in the path of Ivan...truly "Ivan the Terrible" as a Cat 5 hurricane.

Take care Casper the Good and Strong Ghost. Whilst taking care of others, please don't forget to take care of yourself. You can't do it all. But you sure have done a great deal for a lot of people.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Paul}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Keep in touch as much as you can and let us know how you are. Same goes for all the folks in Ivan's path. And please...take flash flood warnings SERIOUSLY. If you saw what happened here, you'd turn tail and run and first sign of rising water.
smile_h_32.gif

Good heaven's, Casper! Robbed at GUN POINT? While you're GIVING STUFF AWAY? Worlds stupidest criminals, anyone? Sheesh.

Well, you're a better man than I. Keep up the good work, but don't forget to take time now and then for yourself. You'll get more good done in the long run if you keep your motor running longer.

Speaking of money, the state released the preliminary damage cost in Fl. For Charley it was an estinmated 7.4 billion, for Frances it is an estimated 6 billion. I'm thinking it'll be awhile before the state gets back to normal. Sorry to hear you were robbed - not everyone here is a scumball - I'm sure the people you helped out are extremely grateful. If you're in my area stop in. You can come into what's left of the house and get a hot meal.

Paul you are a truely wonderful human being. You have a lot on your plate right, do not forget to take care of yourself as well. My thoughts and prays are with you.

This story is so remarkable that i am at a loss for words. I dont know what to say

I'm glad your ok Casper!Keep up the good work and take care!Even here in Ga. we got 8-12 inches of rain from Frances.I hope everone makes it though all these storms.

Jerry

Well, it has been a LONG two days. Took me till noon on Tuesday to get the shop closed down and everything picked up. I got my family on the road at about 1 p.m. When I followed at 2:15ish they had only made it about 4 miles. If any of you have been watching the news, there are only two main arterys out of New Orleans I-10 and Hwy 90 and both where PARKING LOTS. So, I break out my trusty Rand Mcnalleys map and start hitting back roads. Long story short, we made it to Houston in about 9 hours. Normally a 6 hour trip so not to bad. I am hearing reports of people taking 10-12 hours to get from N.O. to Baton Rouge (an EASY 90 minute drive doing the speed limit)

Moral: People, ALWAYS keep very accurate maps in your vehicle. Rand makes a great map that is in a book format, it saved my rear end.

So.. as most of you know, we here in N.O. dodged a bullet, nay scratch that, a friggen MOAB. On the downside, Orange Beach got NAILED. Some of you know that my father has a few condo's over there. There WAS this cool little bar called the FloraBama. It was half in Florida and half in Alabama. Welp, it is completly gone and I do mean GONE. Nothing but a slab remains. Ivan did some serious damage to the coast over there, they all deserve to be in our prayers.

On a side note, someone mentioned the robbery. I have to say, that you really have to see the situation down there. I had 10 grand in my pocket (have to pay my guys in cash down there) and he didn't ask for a single dime. All he wanted was material to fix his families home. I can honestly say, that I can understand him. I see my main duty in this world is to protect my family. This man was backed into a corner and couldn't even provide his family with proper shelter. I don't agree with his methods, but I must say that I understand.

Right now, I am trying to get my crew back to the city safely. None of us have any damage yet, so we should be able to re-group by Sunday or so. We have some major unfinished business in Florida which we need to get accomplished very quickly. Then we will most probably move to Al/Fl border. We have been working hand in hand with Fema so far and I am quite positive we will continue to do so for the next month at least.

Enough for now, I will try to give another update in the morning. I am so sorry that I havn't even read the NASC forums. There has just been so much to do. Please trust I will be back with a force that Ivan couldn't rival.

On a good note, I actually caught up on my sleep!!!

Good night ya'll.

Take care, and good luck. Geez, with you there, I feel sorry for the hurricaine!

Back