What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sugar cane

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
ANyone here know how cold hardy sugar cane is? I have a nice sized plant going that I am thinking of dropping into the ground in my garden but I want to make sure it can take the weather here in ATL.

I think its hardy in zones 10 and 11. I'm in zone 9 and I know that it grows south of where I am.

YEAH it grows like crazy on one of my dad's fields in DR. It's best grown in tropical climates, i dont think it can handle cold much. It tastes great too, i can eat 3 feet of the stuff in one sitting. Although its not much...

Aren't sugar canes those ...well, canes made of candy with the red and sometimes green spirals on it that you get for chrismass, then end up losing in the sofa?

sugarcane-sm.jpg

Thats sugar cane

Cool you grow sugar cane Pyro?! I`ve been longing to grow this plant for a while but can`t find a supplier. Maybe in the spring we could work something out?

o_O
Doesn't look like a cane...or anything sugary for that matter...

well thats where the sugar you have in your kitchen comes from...

the best sugar cane i have ever had was when i visited the virgin islands. When we landed, the taxi driver sold me a huge stick for like 5$. it took me a long time to eat it, and i looked like some crazy bum but loved every bit of it.
smile.gif

Where exactly is the sugar? do you eat the whole stalk? Is it loaded with sugar? MAN i want this plant now

oh man now i GOTTA have it... where can i get it?

So where is the cane? Looks like a bunch of long leaves.

This plant gorws somthing akin to bamboo. the long leaves fall off leaving a think "cane" like trunk. The "sap" is saturated with sugar.

Peter,

I have not yet tried cuttings off my plant, it only just threw up a side shoot this year so I might hack the old one back and see if those will root. I can not promise it will work but if it does you are the first on the list.

Spec,

I know there are suppliers but I don't know where they are. I actually got mine in trade for CPs a couple years ago. If I am really successful and have spares after Peter you are welcome.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I know there are suppliers but I don't know where they are

depends on which type he is specifically looking for. i know that they sugar cane i recieved in st thomas, was a hybrid from the jamacian sugar cane, i was told and have found out. All sugar cane is different. Not so much in looking at it. It seams to be a different sweetness/taste.

these are the ones i am aware of

maui/hawaii sugar cane

(link to vendor) Warning: unknown vendor

http://www.alohatropicals.com/FruitingPlantsandTrees.html

jamacian sugar cane
(no links)
smile_h_32.gif

lousinaina sugar cane
(no links)

Unknown tpye of sugar cane auction
(contaced seller, awaiting reply)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....ck=true

also found a site that sells syrup from sugar cane
Warning: have not dealt with before, so buyer beware
http://www.sugarindia.com/cane.htm

hope this helps

Hmmm.Did a Peter even ask for it? I remember myself being the first one to ask and I`m Noah. :-s

Sorry, I hope you heard what I meant.
laugh.gif

woohoo! Sugar cane makes me TRIGGER HAPPY AND FLAME HAPPY!
laugh.gif
(inside joke)

Back