What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very, very bad news........

• Thread starter Starman
  • Start date
I have got my diagnosis. I ahve soemthign worse then dyspraxia.

The verdict:

I can not understand things well at all.
When a teacher explains things,he/she basicly gives pieces of the puzzle which must be oput together. By the time I get to the 4th piece, the 1st one has fallen off, and I get confused and switch off.

Thsi is true, it always happens to me.
It stops me from learning, and I can only be taught in a certain way, it must be made sure that I fully understand each piece beofre the new piece is given, and it is essential to keep checking that allt he pieces are still there.

I cannot read non verbal signs. If osmeone gives me a non-verbal message like giving me a look, I ownt be able to get the message and read it, and I will say soemthing stupid and it iwll put people off.
That why I have no friends.

I have balance difficulties. I cant ride a bike and I cant balanace.

If osemone reads me a story, I cna only remeber main points form that story, I cant put the whole story in my own words.

If I go without friends for another full year I iwll be severly depressed and I will probably be on anti-depressents all the time. I agree with this, I was VERY depressed at the end of last grade, and I cant take another year with 0 friends.

There is the diagnosis.
Very bad news.
Dino
cool.gif

I have forgotten soemthing.

I have poor short term memeory, I cant remeebr what happed yesterday in school, I cant remeebr where I put soemhting.

If mum sends me to do 3 things, I iwll do 1 then come back and ask her what else I have to do.

Today, she told me to pay the postman and tell him where the money is(outside ina box) and 10 minutes later i phoned her on the way to work, because I forgot.

I don't know if it's ever bad news to get a definitive diagnosis, Dino. It sound like you at least have something to work with now. Also, while it all sounds like a lot of problems, something is working right in your brain because you write pretty well. And you like CPs!

Anyway, it's good to know what you have to work on, and how. You shouldn't have to be depressed all the time, and it's a very good thing that they will take care of that, too.

Cheer up! You're among friends here.

Capslock

Instead of now knowing and saying I can't do this and I can't do that.. use it to find a way so that CAN DO things.   Knowing what the weaknesses make it easier to learn your strengths and how to utilize them better to compensate for the weaknesses.

If you sit around an wallow and now claim you have legitimate excuses for your problems because you have an 'official diagnosis', then you might as well not bother trying because you have already failed from the start.

INSTEAD use the knowledge to make corrections and work out your problems. Example; If you forget things your supposed to do.. write it down. Sometimes a simple change can make a huge difference.

the first part of solving a problem is knowthing what the problem is right? you can't solve a problem if the question is blank. you have to see 3x(4x-4)=11 (3-4) before you can find the variable.

that makes sense to me atleast lol. and anti-depressents aren't a big deal at all. i take 30 mg's of prozac everyday because my brain absorbs seratonin faster than i can produce it ( i have to external causes for depression ). alot of people thing you turn into a doped up zombie when you take anti-depressants, but that isn't true at all.

Its not that simple, Tony.

My mind and brain is at fault, and it can only be improved/fixed if I see the Doctor and have treatment.

Sorry to hear that Dino.
smile_h_32.gif
You do have friends here and you do remember terra forum...so that is a good thing. I also think your typing skills are not that bad. You do have here friends here as is evident and you have family for support. When you need to chipper up you can come post here...

Do not worry about not remembering the whole story. I can not even remember a whole joke sometimes. Plus, who wants to remember everything about a dull story.
smile.gif
If you remember the main points of a good story that is good enough.

Best Wishes,
Travis
smile.gif

anti-depresants for those that truely need them are no big deal. its those who abuse them and for mis-diagnoses where the problems lie. make lists, keep growing your CPs, try making friends in your school and if that dont work out who cares? your amoung friends here on the forums not quite as good psycologically as the face to face kind but some interaction is better than none plus we all agree here that everyone of us on here is messed up(some of us more than others
smile_n_32.gif
) so there is less judgemental problems. dont focus on what you cant do. focus on what you can and youll do just fine Dino.

Rattler

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Sep. 15 2004,1:51)]we all agree here that everyone of us on here is messed up(some of us more than others
smile_n_32.gif
)
Whaddya mean! Most of us are very well adjusted, thank you.
At least I am!
smile_m_32.gif

It reminds me of some elements of Aspergers Syndrome. I've got a son with that. Trouble is that it is difficult to delineate and diagnose neurological disorders, especially when they appear too similar to each other. Often poeple with a little knowledge think that everything boils down to ADHD or bad parenting skills. I hope they really get to the root of things and find the appropriate neds for you!

Dino,

You have friends here, that much is for sure. As far as other possible low opinions of you, no matter how good you are, how well adjusted, there will always be someone who just doesn't like you. Life is not fair like that! Ignore them, and appreciate your uniqueness. Just try to do your best, and let others think what they will, since they surely will.

Work at fixing the problems yourself: in the end, a Dr. can only help you with the process of learning to make the most of what you are - but it will always be you that has to do the work. Now you have an idea of what problems to concentrate on, you can prove to yourself that you are clever enough to get around whatever minor difficulties that present themselves. I agree with Tony, don't use your diagnosis as an excuse to be any less than all that you could be!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If mum sends me to do 3 things, I iwll do 1 then come back and ask her what else I have to do.

I have the same problem with the fiance..... they keep telling me it is selective hearing and not giving a poo
smile_m_32.gif

I have missed something I think. I see a list of symptoms, but not a diagnosis. There are several syndromes, diseases and disorders that can fit this. They actually fit into two problems my son has, Graves and sever ADHD (including dyspraxia). These are treatable and I have gone in the last six months from knowing that my son was going to die to having a happy, mostly healthly, very spirited child back with me. Medicines can do wonders. What you describe I have seen. Do they have a diagnosis yet? Have they checked your thyroid. Having to go to treatment is not that bad. My son probably disagrees on blood draw and testing day, but not usually.

What you need to do (and I know this is cliché) is look at the glass as half full and not half empty.

Take care and try to relax
Rose

i'm totally with copper on you getting a thyroid test. the reason i need anti-depressants is because my thyroid doesn't work at all and that screws up my seratonin levels. i even have to take synthroid to replace the hormones my thyroid should make. i'm always, ALWAYS cold, i dont eat much compared to most people, i sleep all the time etc etc. the thyroid pretty much control everything. my own antibodies even attack my thyroid. sucks huh?

I'm confused right now!!!
smile_n_32.gif

Capslock

i was refering to me mostly BobZ...........you gotta be a lil wacked to survive in this world....plus it makes things a bit more entertaining
smile_n_32.gif
my personal list of symptoms.........
lazy, tired alot, quite wacked(how else do explain a house full of animals and plants?!?!?), like i said before some minor balance problems, memory problems, lung problems, knee problems, have 2 kids for all intents and purposes, have some episodes of depresion, dont deal well with ppl(never have prolly never will), and do yah know how old i am? guess...........................come on guess............................................. IM 22!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but if i have learned anything in that time its:

#1 you can and will find some one just as wacked as you and actually be on the same wavelength (Darla proved that to me)

#2 if you have a job you enjoy and good coworkers even some of the real bad days have some great laughs

#3 no matter how independent you are you need to talk to someone at some point to work through your problems

#4 YOU HAVE TO HAVE DISTRACTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!! be it CPs, hunting, fishing, dancing, underwater basket weaving or what ever. you need personal time doing something you thuroughly enjoy atleast once a week, preferably more often to stay sane

..................there are prolly more.............my stroke of genius has just run out............long day at work..................dont get to down on yourself its just not worth it.

Rattler

lol. underwater basket weaving

Actually it can be that simple if you try. Can't remember a list of things to do? Then write them down on a piece of paper. Maybe not everything can be solved with simple solutions but some things can. The effort to work with your condition and improve things has to come from you. The doctor can help you understand it and how to deal with it but he isn't the one that is going to fix it. Perhaps some medication might help but that alone won't make everything perfect either. YOU are the one that needs to put the effort into learning how to do things differently so that you can improve the way you do things. Some of it may be very difficult but to say I can't because my brain is broken is already admitting defeat and if you do that you will have lost already...

That's right.  Life is as good as you make. We all have bads and we all can shake of the blues.  Life is not perfect, that is what makes it interesting and worth living.  A perfect life would be boring.  Also, something I truly believe due to the life I have lived, what does not kill you only makes you stronger.  So come on Starman, smile and be stronger.

Back