What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very, very bad news........

• Thread starter Starman
  • Start date
Hey Starman,

I have some mild learning disabilities and have a few of the symptoms you do. If you do have a definite diagnosis, your school most likely has resources to help you with remedial learning. I was diagnosed in college because my parents believed I "wasn't trying hard enough" and would not let me get tested. Anyhow, after a semester of weekly learning sessions and a bit of practice, I learned tips to help the day and tasks go by easier. JustLikeAPill- my mom has takes syntharoid too. She almost died because she wouldn't go to the doctor. I've seen the symptoms firsthand, and it can be awful without medication!

As for friends, I know it's very important especially at your age. Worry about yourself first, and the kind of friends you want will appear in due time. As you know, hobbies are really great and you have friends on this forum! As I sidenote, I was picked on a lot all the way from elementary school through high school. In college, I was considered to be weird but cool. Now I'm still the same person, and people think I'm pretty interesting and cool. There's no accounting for taste, it's a matter of who you surround yourself with!

Your diagnosis can be an excuse for things you can't do, or a place for you to start learning what you CAN do. Just realise that it takes time for results and getting used to whatever they're going to ask you to do (medication, remedial learning, etc). Chin up! Feel free to PM me if you want.

Ahh, one of the things you discover as you get older is that the people who were "different" or unpopular in high school are the most popular and successful in college and later life. In fact, many of the most popular people at my high school turned out to be some of the biggest losers. It's funny how it all turns around as you get older.
laugh.gif

Capslock

look at stephen hawkings!! he cant move and he has to talk through a computer, but he's the worlds leading phycisist (sp?)!

I know this has nothing do with the subject...But when I was in Honduras working I saw this kid/man wearing a t-shrit that said "If A@@holes could fly this would be an airport". There are ppl like that but later in life you will find true friend(s) that will have your back. For now you have family and us of course .
smile.gif

Lol. Yeah anti depressents won`t make you zonked,I know I was on prozac for a few weeks when stupid techmens asistants thought I was anerexic,but the clonapin(muscle relaxeant) I`m on does! It doesn`t realy by itself but take it with a drowsy causeing alergy medication and you`ll be zonked! ;) Lol. about a half hour later you`r like falling over almost. I`m sorry to hear about your troubles Dino. It seems every body is sick lately,my grampa just had his 15lb! spleen removed and is diabetic,my friend kelsey is real sick(don`t remember with what though),her mom is sick,I`m realy sick(This forum and my game cube are pretty much the only thing keeping me sane at night I feel so sick). I don`t know it just seems like an awful lot of people are sick lately,it sucks. I hope you`r treatment goes well for you and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I hope they can fix me up soon too. Ohh to eat again! And not have all this pressure and intense heartburn and nausea. Lol. I think I complained about myself too much sorry! I`m too self absorbed I guess.

He has told me the name, I have dyspraxia and 1 or 2 other things(long complex names, I cant remeebr them!)

Write them down when you can and we can do a search.

Starman, do you have any idea how long I went without a friend? My whole life, pretty much, because I'm homeschooled and I honestly don't get out much, and there's almost nobody that's not at least 20 years older than me in this neighborhood. Now I've had my first real best friend for almost two years. I went through bats of depression the three years before I met my best friend, because I just felt lonely with no other person ever around me that was my age and that I could socialize with. But like everything else, I dealt with it and brushed it off for a long time. But now I have a really great friend and many other great friends that I've met through her, and I actually have a circle of friends.

I understand that it's worse for you, though, because the only reason you have no friends is because you have a learning disability, but just keep the faith and eventually you will find a friend that won't judge you like everyone else is.

And remember, you'll always have us! (((air hug)))

Hey a fellow homeschooler! Cool!

Um... sure.

I've been homeschooled through a DVD class thingie program my whole life. I'm going to public school next year though. WoOtwOoT.

DVD program? I use a cd for my science and it`s real cool. I`d imagine dvd would be even neater.;)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also, while it all sounds like a lot of problems, something is working right in your brain because you write pretty well. And you like CPs!

May I assert that...I'm not sure if liking cps is a sure sign of normality...

Seriously though, Dino, capslock is right. A wise man once said, "there are some people with more than you, but many more with less." Try to think of the positive side, like what you have, instead of what you don't. Any problem can be overcome, if you work hard at it. Man did I get that that quote from Capslock or a TV show or what...
smile_n_32.gif

Sincerest of luck,
Jason

I don't mean to sound insensitive (I am sometimes accidentally).
Are you coming across as depressive to other people at school or telling them that you don't have friends or need a friend? Behavior like this will put people off. Generally you don't wanna come across as having bagage (issues) right from the beginning. You come across this way on here so I am wondering if you are this way in person around people. Also it is easy to spot fear in someone, if you are showing it then you are more likely to continue to be bullied. I can tell you first hand that most bullies will let you be if you give a valiant effort to defend or stand up for yourself, even if you get beat up. Just letting them know that you won't let it go.

Joe

some people with problems want pity, so they complain about their problems. they are starved for attention so they will get attention anyway they can-even if that's whining.

that's just my take on it, and it's just an opinion.

I odnt tell them anything.
The doctor told me that whatevr I do at this stage, I iwll get laughed at.
I cant wait untill I satrt having the treatment so I can get freinds.

No, I odnt tell them anything, but its obvious to them.
Everybody knows I am lonely and need a friend, they see I am alone all the time.
But I NEVER tellt hem Im lonely and need a friend.

actions speak louder than words.

what IS the treatment?

An assesment then therapies. Possible some medication too.

There is lots of good advice going on here, Dino.
smile.gif
Listen to it.

Like several people have mentioned, if you are forgetful (I am too!), keep a note pad and pen with you all the time and write things down. I make a lot of lists.

Make sure your mom has a meeting with your teachers to explain to them what learning challenges you have so they will know what to do to HELP you learn.

You need to look at each one of the problems and find a solution to them whether its medication or if you have adjust your ways of doing things.

Get finished being sad over this and put your energy into finding ways to beat it. There are people with MUCH worse problems than yours who find ways to live a happy life. You have to do the same. And it won't change overnight. Be patient. Give yourself some time to work on these things.
smile.gif

It would be wise to Heed Pink floyds words,

"Hey you, don’t help them to bury the light,
Don’t give in without a fight."

"It's really just about being proud of who you are!"
—Gretchen Wilson

Back