Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: P. casabitoana emergency

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, i meant that as an example of what NOT to do, im not taking any plants at all, just seeds
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Sep. 17 2004,2:46)]no, i meant that as an example of what NOT to do, im not taking any plants at all, just seeds
    I odnt reccoemnd you take seeds, because chances are, they will never germinate and simply die. Seeds of easy Pinguicula are quite hard to germiante,a nd these will be VERY hard to germinate. I reccomend you take a few palnts(ONLY if there are at LEAST 6 plants) Thne post a quesytion to find a responsible grower who has a high chance of growing them successfully, then prefarably arrange to meet that grower soemwhere and hand him the plant.
    Dino [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ICPS guidlines would dictate that in a situation where you see only 10 plants you probably not take any or at most 1. I can not remember the guidelines for seed but I think it is something like 10% max so if all 10 plants had seed pods then you could only take 1 pod.

I very much recommend that the ICPS website be checked to clarify the matter.

Dino,

Obviously you missed the part of my post that said that whole plants will die before they can be given to other growers. I do not know why you think that Ping seed is difficult as most of them are quite easy. And even if these are difficult the goal is TC which is absolutly different than regular seed sowing. In TC almost any seed can be germinated so long as it is disease free and alive. If the TC lab has experience in cloud forest orchid then they should be able to do these without a problem

'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have neevr been able to germinate pings seeds, even tho I followed the guidelines correctly.

I am trying again wiht P.alpina seeds, I iwll sow them in Ocotber/November and they should germinate by May, usually much sooner.
    If they dont then I iwll give up.
    Dino [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just because you can't germinate seed, doesn't mean it's hard to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] you see 10, then only take up to 5.

thats exactly the plan dino
    Thats right. You should NOT take any plants just because YOU want them. Its a moral issue more than anything else, and anyone who would take 1/2 of a stand of rare plants is someone who does not have any regard for wild specimens.

i my be wrong about your motives, but thats what it looks like to me. Not cool
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To get plants into culture you need to get wild plants. Is everyone missing the fact that i said i wouldn't take any plants? just seeds? And its not just because i want them, i want to get them into cultivation. It has been reported that they have been close to extinction before. Pyro is right, they must have adapted to the island and its tropical climate, but sometimes the climate is too radical. Them being in culture assures their survival. I'm not going out there to take them because i just want them. I don't need to take them, i can go look at em anytime i want. They are in my dam backyard. sorry but you guys are making me feel like a bad guy when all i have are good intentions [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah im with Amateur_Expert on this one, i dont think there is need to state the obvious but in this case, its nessesary..all plants in cultivation started somewhere, they did not origionate in your terrarium they started wild or their roots started wild.. and he stated he's not taking the plants, not only beaucse he CANT but beacuse there is no need to, im pritty sure if he was to offer seeds in the trading forums yall wouldent bad mouth him, you just might be the first ones to send SASE's! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] but none the less, please leave the moderators job to the moderators..thanks

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast