What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. casabitoana emergency

Me obtaining permission will not be a problem at all. That's the least of my worries.
confused.gif

JLAP

Not mad at you at all, and I like the egg comment. Just my way of saying that I am pretty much laying for anyone to cross the line on this one. I am a suspicious person by nature, and also have some idea of the time frame needed to accomplish what AE proposes. He won't be able to get this done under the wire. Not a chance. I can also say that although I am not privy to the mod forum, I am willing to bet that Mods and Admin will be closely monitoring this endevour, and can also predict what the outcome of bartering in illicitly obtained plants will be. All things considered, if I were AE I believe I would just bow out now before the lightning hits.

Think about it carefully.

whoo, what a relief!
did you get my pm's tamlin?

Bow out now before the lightning hits? It's like you guys are expecting me to smuggle them into the country, im not. Its going to be EASY for me to get the documents and permits, and anything else i need. I'm NOT going to smuggle them in. It's like your ignoring the fact i said i'm not going to do anything illegal. And i'm definately not going to poach!

Also, its definately impossible to enter the site without legal permission, it is guarded and fenced up. In order for guards to let you through, you need legal permission. No one can just walk into the site, you need writen legal permission

OK I don't think that I've been really clear about what I'm gonna do, and I might have gotten some people worked up or confused, and I'm getting many questions about this. This is what will happen:
I am going to try to get permission to go up into Mt. Casabito, to examine the species P. Casabitoana. I'm going up there with my cousin who is president of agriculture in the Vega Province of the Dominican Republic, which is where Mt. Casabito is. This guy is a total plant freak and takes his job very seriously. Well since my last trip to the Dominican Republic, I've been wanting to go see them but I didn't get time to last time. This time I plan too, with him by my side. I want to see how the population is doing and well, see the plants themselves! Since the plant isn't in cultivation, or studied very much, I would like to try to bring them into cultivation, but that isn't the sole purpose of my going into Mt. Casabito. If, and ONLY if the population is doing good (thousands) of plants on the mountains, then I will think about trying to get them into cultivation. I don't know how many plants there are up there, and doubt there will be enough to convince my cousin, or myself that its OK for me to take some. But if there is, I will. I'll do it responsibly and I can assure you that I won't go over my head. My cousin will also make sure of that. I posted here thinking that I would get a few people to help me out with it, if I see that there is enough, that I can take something back without hurting the population, but instead most of the people that posted, where mostly (if not totally) negative about what they said, and I don't blame you, you can be sure that if I where on the opposite end of the spectrum, I would of been suspicious and did the exact same thing. This is just to let everyone know that I understand, and hope you understand what my intentions are and that you don't get the wrong idea of what I plan to do. Before I take anything, there will be many a conversation with experts, moderators, and anyone else. I will take many pictures, especially if I take plants that I will post or have available of the mountain, and of the P. Casabitoana plant population. I will have the pictures, and all of the paperwork available to anyone, and I will send it to ANYONE that requests it, just say the word and its yours. I want we are all on the same page, and that there are no misunderstandings. If you have any other questions, FEEL FREE to PM me, or IM me.

Thanks everyone, and sorry if i wasn't clear
smile.gif

I owuld probably buy a poached plant....then take that persons name and report him/her and use the poached plant as evidence.

I think everyone is makijg abit of a fuss about this plant dying.
We grow mexican pinguicula on windows in compost.
In thier natural habitat, they would grow in desert conditions.
Thsi plant may react the same to windowsill culture or terrarium culture.

Sounds like this one is growing on a tropical mountain.

and mexican pings do not grow in the desert. just because it's mexico doesn't mean it's desert.

i'm backing you up 100% john, i know your intentions are sincere.

I would very much enjoy some pictures of a cloud forest
biggrin.gif

Cloud forests are intensivly logged snd and their future is in doubt due to gobal warming. Mountains will efectivly become islands of shrinking habitat to the creatures and plants of the cloud forest- for 2 reasons

Yes, since the plants are extremely sensitive to humidity, and to temperatures, any slight changes in climate could wipe out entire species. Thats why P. Casabitoana is so hard to ship

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also, its definately impossible to enter the site without legal permission, it is guarded and fenced up. In order for guards to let you through, you need legal permission. No one can just walk into the site, you need writen legal permission

if thats the case than someones probably monitering the populations

The reason for it being guarded is because of the fact that its basically unlandscaped. No farming, and no paths have been made. There are parts of the forest that are considered impenetrable, and its very hard to just try to walk. It was also made worse by the passing of hurricane george.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] If, and ONLY if the population is doing good (thousands) of plants on the mountains

well, nobody needs to worry about you taking anything then. if the species is as rare as I've heard, you'll never see thousands!

yes, take MANY pictures!

and I heard Mexico is the country with the most habitats in the world (I think they meant for it's size)
I can't remember the names.. but there are forests that have oaks as the main trees, others that have pines, others are rainforests, there are deserts, there are valleys, there are tidal flats, there are mangroves (I THINK!), there are coral reefs, there are aquifers, there are caves, there are mountains, etc...
unfortuatelly I haven't been to most of them... but they're there!

there are tapirs, quetzals, spider monkeys, horned lizards, rattlesnakes, gila monsters, cacti, pings, utrics, monarchs, squirrels, bats, poison dart frogs, hummingbirds, orchids (vanilla is one... I bet you didn't know that!), cacao (the mayans were the first to make chocolate... aldough NOT like we make it), corn (mayas "made" corn...), alligators (maybe crocodiles? there's not a distinction in spanish, or if there is, nobody pays attention :p so I don't know... probably alligators) cara caras, etc etc etc. mexico is NOT all desert!
another sad thing is that people are stupid and are destroying it all.

Back